Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

4 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Would be good for SPFL (and any fans below tier 5) fans to get together and pick one game over the season to pack out the grounds of all the good guys. Get them a 1000+ crowd for one home game and give them a wee financial boost as a thank you for doing the right thing and standing up for sporting integrity. Anyone up for that?

Absolutely!

Only just heard this news now. A very sad day for Scottish football. Fans need to make their feelings known. Boycott games, email the w**k clubs, social media. The OF are a poisonous shit stain on our game and it’s devastating that these Lowland League idiots have accepted the bribe. If it’s possible I think the good guys should create a new league and completely shut these c***s out.

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

Ask Steven Gerrard, who supports it, and has read the position paper on it:

"If you're thinking about the country and improving the Scottish national team at all levels, then what we want is to give the kids a better chance to develop into better players"

504 appearances for Liverpool, 473 as captain, 114 England caps, and just won the league as Rangers Manager.   Won the Champions League,   2 x FA Cups, 3 x UEFA Cups.  Played in 3 World Cups and 3 x Euros.

Yet angry folk who support [INSERT EX JUNIOR CLUB HERE] know more about player development than him. 

This is Scottish Football.

Gerrard should give Rangers own Scottish players first team football rather than import players from all over. Why not make it home grown player taking 75%-80% of first team placesin the Premier League they would have to bring through talent then.

Edited by peternapper

Presumably just like the ESL by the time the real vote takes place then there may be a change of minds for some clubs.
That is surely entirely down to the pandbers to ensure that all LL club supporters can start sticking the boot in to their committees.

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

That is so embarrassing, basically admitting the 2 Glasgow teams  can rim the "Braves" any time they want.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Absolutely, it's been awful over there.

Can you give us a more detailed view of it please?

My brother only briefly mentioned it ages ago and didn't expand on why it wasn't great. Now it is happening here it would be good to know more about it.

I commented on Berwick Rangers Facebook status about how they voted for proposal and basically told them they are a disgrace, they accepted a bribe, threw sporting integrity out the window and I hope they don’t get back to the SPFL. They’ve banned me from their page. Can’t search for their page and the post I made has disappeared. Bunch of absolute shitebags.

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

My brother only briefly mentioned it ages ago and didn't expand on why it wasn't great. Now it is happening here it would be good to know more about it.

I've posted it on P&B before but I'll post it here again as it's very relevant now.

I'm originally from The Netherlands and support Excelsior Rotterdam, a team in the Dutch second tier. Colt teams came in the league about a decade ago and they've completely ruined the league. They completely failed in The Netherlands, made the league far less attractive but the big clubs stick by them. Attendances against colt teams are generally lower as plenty of fans simply refuse to watch their team play colt teams and I can't blame them. I already left the country before these teams came into the league but there is no chance I'd go to a game against any of these disgraces if I still lived there, home or away. They add nothing to the league. They ruin a part of the competitive element of the league as these teams can't play for promotion. When you play these teams can make a big difference on how strong your opposition is. For example, Excelsior played in the same season against Ajax Colts with plenty of first team regulars and against a glorified Ajax U18. The latter game was because Ajax had important league games & Champions League coming up so they wanted to keep as much as their squad together as possible so just sent a sub-standard team to play Excelsior as that game was an inconvenience for them. We won comfortably and benefited from it, but that's not the point. It makes a mockery of the league. We were fighting for a play-off spot at the time and our rivals for that spot were rightfully seething about the situation.

These teams also hardly get any support, even Ajax regularly don't even reach double figure away attendances! The 4 teams have by quite a distance the 4 lowest average home attendances in the league. The record low attendance in the 2nd tier was at a game between FC Twente Colts and PSV Colts with an attendance of 72. That 72 included all comps, sponsors, journalists etc., so the number of paying fans in attendance was probably in single figures. These teams also deprive 2nd tier sides of signing various players (either permanently or on loan) because those 4 need to fill their squads. It's not just The Netherlands, fans of German lower league clubs often feel the same for example. There is no reason to assume any of this would be any different in Scotland. Fans rightfully feel strongly about this and this disgraceful plan shouldn't even be debated.

The effectiveness of these teams is much debated as few players from those teams actually ended up in their club's first team. The really big talents tend to go straight in the first team or get loaned out to a top flight team. Plenty of clubs have pulled their colts team from the pyramid since it started, there are now only 10 left even though there are 34 full-time teams. Some big clubs like Feyenoord even never bothered with a colt team in the pyramid and their youth set up is very strong.

The Dutch youth system has a very good reputation but that's due to an extensive network of coaching, training, scouting and youth partnerships going all the way down to lower non-league. Big names like Robben and Van Nistelrooy came through the youth system of a small non-league club before eventually being picked up by professional clubs. Out of the extensive Dutch youth system, the "colt team" system is arguably the least effective and most controversial part. If Scottish football is really serious about youth development, improvements should start with coaching, training etc. Even considering colt teams should only be done once all those aspects have improved massively.

Just as a clarification: in the Dutch pyramid colt teams are only allowed for the 34 full-time clubs. They can't get higher than the 2nd tier or the tier below their first team if the first team aren't top flight. They can't get into cup tournaments with first teams. Colts of non-league clubs actually do join cup tournaments and are not in the league, which sometimes results in odd situations of a first team playing against their own colts. I once played in one of such games myself when I played football (I was in the first team), it was weird...

2 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Well, remember Netherlands doing really well internationally, ajax winning european trophies etc, how’s that going for them now? Runner up in the 2010 world cup?
Ajax B team made their debut in the pro leagues seemingly in 2013, Dutch international rankings 9th in the world, Ajax B won the second division in 2017, coinciding with the second worst fifa ranking the dutch have ever had of 20 in 2017 (was 22 in 2016). 

2 hours ago, Che Dail said:

I made up the evidence, or that there is evidence?

Lionel Messi played for Barcelona B team.  True story: evidence.

Not a particularly good example of local Spanish boys developing for the national side.

1 hour ago, Che Dail said:

Ask Steven Gerrard, who supports it, and has read the position paper on it:

"If you're thinking about the country and improving the Scottish national team at all levels, then what we want is to give the kids a better chance to develop into better players"

504 appearances for Liverpool, 473 as captain, 114 England caps, and just won the league as Rangers Manager.   Won the Champions League,   2 x FA Cups, 3 x UEFA Cups.  Played in 3 World Cups and 3 x Euros.

Yet angry folk who support [INSERT EX JUNIOR CLUB HERE] know more about player development than him. 

This is Scottish Football.

Gaza wasn't bad either, maybe we could get him to run the show.

Chris Ewing of the Braves saying that he voted in line with the 68% of their fans who voted that way in an online poll. That'll be half a dozen then plus the internet dafties sitting in their mums' basement in Kent.

It'll be interesting to see how his club deals with a hundred bevvied bigots who turn up at the M & D Superdome before heading for the dodgems and the late night dogging.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Rangers had the chance to develop young players in the Scottish lower leagues over a number of years. It wasn't exactly a success story on that front.

Mmm, I remember it well. There was a decent amount of noise going on about bringing youth and copying the Ajax model etc. First time we fielded a team of kids and they went in at 0-0 at half time, they got slaughtered by the fans. 

Whole idea was scrapped. Fans don't help their own cause at times. 

Edited by TommyLeePwns