Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm sure the 50 grand bribe will go a little bit further.

Apart from the juvenile pleasure in your club imposing it's will on others, through the good old-fashioned method of bribery, what will Celtic actually gain from this move in your view?

Wonder if fans from the likes of Bonnyrigg would boycott matches away to clubs which vote for this and/or against the Colts?

The statement mentions the reason for the vote happening now is so that it can go to the AGM at the end of the month. (suppose that means the vote tonight is not binding until voted on at the AGM?) So unless the rule change has been proposed but not publicised looks like we're not getting two relegation spots.

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Apart from the juvenile pleasure in your club imposing it's will on others, through the good old-fashioned method of bribery, what will Celtic actually gain from this move in your view?

It's very simple for me I want more home grown talent in the first team not just one player a season.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Just listened to the first part of the LL catch up. I think it's fair to say the boys really did soft ball George whilst trying to give the impression they were asking tough questions. Aye, you can just say "it's for the clubs to decide" constantly but he's completely dodged the question about further colt teams. If 4/5/6 further SPL clubs all wanted colt teams in the LL, would it be a case of just letting them in as long as they've got the cash? George Fraser isn't an impartial 'civil servant' on this. He's proposing it and making the argument for it. It's not really too much to ask that he clarifies some of these things.

The response to almost every answer was "Brilliant, mate" or "Appreciate that mate". Which is fine but let's not pretend you're asking the hard questions here.

Also the point about the OF "helping" to get automatic promotion... nobody seems to have any idea on how that could come about. The OF can be as big and and rich as they like, they have absolutely no power to impose automatic promotion/relegation on the SPFL if L1/2 clubs don't want it. They've failed numerous times to get their colts into the SPFL. What makes anyone think they can succeed here.

It's very simple. The 20 clubs in tiers 3 and 4 are the clubs you need to convince to make this happen. Every step you take to make the LL less attractive to them is a step further away from automatic promotion.

Edited by Gordon EF

12 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Just listened to the first part of the LL catch up. I think it's fair to say the boys really did soft ball George whilst trying to give the impression they were asking tough questions. Aye, you can just say "it's for the clubs to decide" constantly but he's completely dodged the question about further colt teams. If 4/5/6 further SPL clubs all wanted colt teams in the LL, would it be a case of just letting them in as long as they've got the cash? George Fraser isn't an impartial 'civil servant' on this. He's proposing it and making the argument for it. It's not really too much to ask that he clarifies some of these things.

The response to almost every answer was "Brilliant, mate" or "Appreciate that mate". Which is fine but let's not pretend you're asking the hard questions here.

Also the point about the OF "helping" to get automatic promotion... nobody seems to have any idea on how that could come about. The OF can be as big and and rich as they like, they have absolutely no power to impose automatic promotion/relegation on the SPFL if L1/2 clubs don't want it. They've failed numerous times to get their colts into the SPFL. What makes anyone think they can succeed here.

It's very simple. The 20 clubs in tiers 3 and 4 are the clubs you need to convince to make this happen. Every step you take to make the LL less attractive to them is a step further away from automatic promotion.

I haven't listened to it but I know that Chris and Mozza are both good guys, I know from experience it's always a balancing act when you get guests on podcasts, you don't want to alienate them and for them not to come back. I would use the example of Doncaster on the Price of Football Podcast, when on this topic of Colt Sides the two interviewers where giving ND very softball questions.

2 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I haven't listened to it but I know that Chris and Mozza are both good guys, I know from experience it's always a balancing act when you get guests on podcasts, you don't want to alienate them and for them not to come back. I would use the example of Doncaster on the Price of Football Podcast, when on this topic of Colt Sides the two interviewers where giving ND very softball questions.

I totally get it. They know the guy, they like him, they don't want him to refuse to appear on the pod again, and I suspect they're generally more supportive of this proposal than the footballing supporting public at large. That's all fine. But all the stuff about "I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask..." or trying to give the impression you're asking the tough questions... they weren't. It was at best an opportunity for Fraser to get his point across without any challenge and, at worst, a fluff piece.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I totally get it. They know the guy, they like him, they don't want him to refuse to appear on the pod again, and I suspect they're generally more supportive of this proposal than the footballing supporting public at large. That's all fine. But all the stuff about "I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask..." or trying to give the impression you're asking the tough questions... they weren't. It was at best an opportunity for Fraser to get his point across without any challenge and, at worst, a fluff piece.

I like the podcast, they work their arses off promoting the LL and beyond, but can't disagree that it was a soft interview. They could have pressed more with minimal risk.

This will come down to how teams are financially right now. Bonnyrigg for example have a tremendous fan base to keep them going but others might have a different view.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

"Your taxi's outside now sir".

maxresdefault.jpg

If they move much further East they will get one of these.

Excellent means of transport, but not much space for the instigator of the proposal for the return journey back to the East end or Govan areas of Glasgow!!!!

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

2 minutes ago, leomessi1984 said:

I like the podcast, they work their arses off promoting the LL and beyond, but can't disagree that it was a soft interview. They could have pressed more with minimal risk.

This will come down to how teams are financially right now. Bonnyrigg for example have a tremendous fan base to keep them going but others might have a different view.

Agreed. I suspect it'll also come down to a fair few club officials getting starry eyed at the chance to rub shoulders with OF "directors", like ugly girls who get asked to the dance. I think it's fair to say we can probably guess which clubs might be more guilty of that than others.

I wonder how folk would react in Manchester Utd and Manchester City wanted to play colt teams in the Scottish Premier League. Would folk see this as a "modern, progressive" step or would they see it as completely de-valuing the top level of Scottish football and essentially an utterly diddy, embarrassing move?

I do certainly think this has destroyed a lot of goodwill that many had for the Lowland League, if twitter is anything to go by.

As for who's for and against it, I think it will certainly be tight on whether it passes or not. A majority vote seems very easy for it to pass compared to the SPFL voting structure.

4 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I do certainly think this has destroyed a lot of goodwill that many had for the Lowland League, if twitter is anything to go by.

As for who's for and against it, I think it will certainly be tight on whether it passes or not. A majority vote seems very easy for it to pass compared to the SPFL voting structure.

Looks like being tight. I suspect my club may support it.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Wonder if fans from the likes of Bonnyrigg would boycott matches away to clubs which vote for this and/or against the Colts?

If you're a fan i think you're most likely to still follow your team regardless just because other LL clubs have  different opinions. 

There's guys at Bonnyrigg who havent missed a game for donkeys years. 

Boycotting the clubs in favour of colts, I dont think will be on anybody's agenda. After all it's all about supporting your own team. 

Edited by newcastle broon

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

It's very simple for me I want more home grown talent in the first team not just one player a season.

What is, or was, wrong with current or former reserve, youth or under-21 leagues? 

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

I haven’t posted much in here since this came out - couldn’t be bothered with the personal attacks just because I might have a slightly different approach to this. Appreciated these comments though.

Look - we aren’t journalists (and never pretend to be). What I would say, however, is that going all guns blazing might have resulted in no info whatsoever coming out. Ultimately, we got previously unknown details about the innovation paper from George as well as a nod to his future thoughts (LL2).

Well, it was good enough for the Daily Record to run two articles off the back of the podcast anyway. 😂

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

What is, or was, wrong with current or former reserve, youth or under-21 leagues? 

These leagues and systems didn't give access to two sides from each of the OF playing at everyone else's first team level, this would gain two footholds in the league structure for them.

7 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

I haven’t posted much in here since this came out - couldn’t be bothered with the personal attacks just because I might have a slightly different approach to this. Appreciated these comments though.

Look - we aren’t journalists (and never pretend to be). What I would say, however, is that going all guns blazing might have resulted in no info whatsoever coming out. Ultimately, we got previously unknown details about the innovation paper from George as well as a nod to his future thoughts (LL2).

Well, it was good enough for the Daily Record to run two articles off the back of the podcast anyway. 😂

Aye. I didn't mean for that to come across as necessarily a criticism of you guys, far less personal. Some of the personal remarks directed towards you guys are way over the line.

I've listened to a fair number of your podcasts and as an interested outsider, they're a great source of info on the LL and the wider pyramid and I think you guys have a great pod and are doing a great job. Nobody is going to agree on everything all the time and we should be able to disagree whilst still keeping civil. It is a little bit frustrating that, as with most things involving the OF, the only real scrutiny is left to places like P&B and social media with other sources tending to just recycle OF talking points.