Celtic and Hearts B Teams in Lowland League?

falski

1 minute ago, G51 said:

If that happened then the sham of a "pyramid" would be called out for what it actually is. A bottleneck designed to prevent League 2 teams being relegated and Highland/Lowland League clubs from being promoted, while still allowing just about enough opportunity to allow the SPFL to claim we have a modern professional football structure.

How? The LL could easily regain promotion rights by just getting rid of the colts.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

How? The LL could easily regain promotion rights by just getting rid of the colts.

The SPFL blackmailing another league and dictating who it can and cannot have as member clubs is not a good look, especially when SPFL clubs treat fifth tier sides like shite on their shoes.

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

The SPFL blackmailing another league and dictating who it can and cannot have as member clubs is not a good look, especially when SPFL clubs treat fifth tier sides like shite on their shoes.

I'd agree, under most circumstances. But we're not talking about the SPFL throwing a hissy fit because they don't want Tranent in the LL or something. Colt sides is obviously an issue a lot of people disagree on but for me, parachuting two colt sides part-way into the pyramid structure, who can't be relegated, can't be promoted is effectively debasing the LL as a competition and compromising the structure of the pyramid. I think that's something the SPFL are very justified in reacting to.

Wow what words can you even say about this shite

I appreciate everything he has done as chairman for the league but George Fraser is an absolute sell out if this gets through.

He has a cheek to say that league 2 is a closed shop when he would happily allow Colts teams to get into the LL over progressive clubs in the East and West

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'd agree, under most circumstances. But we're not talking about the SPFL throwing a hissy fit because they don't want Tranent in the LL or something. Colt sides is obviously an issue a lot of people disagree on but for me, parachuting two colt sides part-way into the pyramid structure, who can't be relegated, can't be promoted is effectively debasing the LL as a competition and compromising the structure of the pyramid. I think that's something the SPFL are very justified in reacting to.

How on earth does it compromise the "structure" of the pyramid more than, say, the lack of automatic relegation from League 2?

The structure of the pyramid is a complete joke. B teams that don't impact on it in any way whatsoever is the least concerning thing about the pyramid structure.

I think a significant number of supporters outside the SPFL would rightly view League 1 and 2 teams pulling up the drawbridge in response to this as opportunism.

20 minutes ago, G51 said:

How on earth does it compromise the "structure" of the pyramid more than, say, the lack of automatic relegation from League 2?

The structure of the pyramid is a complete joke. B teams that don't impact on it in any way whatsoever is the least concerning thing about the pyramid structure.

I think a significant number of supporters outside the SPFL would rightly view League 1 and 2 teams pulling up the drawbridge in response to this as opportunism.

So first off, I'm a supporter of automatic relegation from league 2. I'm not against colts in the LL because I'm just blanket 'against' the LL and 'for' the SPFL. Why are you arguing as if I also don't think the lack of automatic relegation compromises the principle of the pyramid? I think it does.

I obviously disagree that it has no impact. Having clubs in there who are parachuted in above clubs who're already in the pyramid, competing in a league the cannot become champions of or be relegated from but who can take points off other clubs or lose to other clubs who are actually supposed to be competing in that league is a total joke. If the OF want to arrange friendlies for their colts against LL sides and the LL decide to structure their fixtures to allow that, bash on.

How is it opportunism when I'm clearly arguing from a position of wanting promotion between the tiers. My ideal scenario is no colts in the LL and for promotion/relegation to not just continue but to increase. The SPFL are commited to the pyramid. In theory, they could vote to completely sever ties with the LL tomorrow but they won't because the vote would not pass because despite more than a few being arsey about increasing promotion and relegation, the SPFL, the vast majority of supporters and myself fully buy into the whole idea of the pyramid. What almost nobody buys into (apart form the old firm, their apologists and folk who're willing to sell out their own league for a bit of cash) is colt teams being allowed to play in it.

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Don't quite understand why it's the Lowland League who have made the first approach. My guess is that this is some kind of political manouevring or something among the Lowland League chairmen. Who knows.

Masons? 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Difficult to see how that would work given that the arrangement is for one season only.

It's an incredible contortion of logic to suggest it's "unfair" to relegate the shittest club in League 2 to the Lowland League because of this arrangement. The SPFL doesn't get to dictate to the Lowland League who it's member clubs are and it's crazy to think that they should hold any influence here.

Imagine the Rangers B team or the green-grot B team end up winning the fucking league! 😄

George, if you’re reading this, see these discussions....James May GIF by DriveTribe

1 hour ago, andrew21 said:

You mean a Kelty side that has seen its support rise since Barry Ferguson took over and has a main sponsor thats a Rangers supporter and is in favour of  colts sides. Or a different Kelty side?

Why the alias Gordon/Gogsy?

3 hours ago, G51 said:

Don't quite understand why it's the Lowland League who have made the first approach. My guess is that this is some kind of political manouevring or something among the Lowland League chairmen. Who knows.

Doubt it ever happens tbh. There's no advantage to Rangers and Celtic doing this that I can see.

Or the BSC money pot is running low? Sustaining a team with a squad that grossly outweighs their standing and rent payments to Alloa can’t go on forever in this climate.

Where as most other clubs have learnt to live within their means over the last few months 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Or the BSC money pot is running low? Sustaining a team with a squad that grossly outweighs their standing and rent payments to Alloa can’t go on forever in this climate.

Where as most other clubs have learnt to live within their means over the last few months 🤷‍♂️

Now I know what it must feel like to be a Rangers supporter. You okay Andy? 😂😂

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

My team lost its place in the spfl due to corruption and greed. We regrouped started in the junior leagues, built our infrastructure, built a community asset from the grass roots, a full academy, fought for better facilities and board members burst their arses to get us into the WoSL and approved for SFA licensing. Started from nothing and being jumped by the two clubs in Scotland who are responsible for just about everything thats wrong with Scottish Football with their glory hunter fans, bigotry, entitlement, investing in foreign duds and now they just get their way yet again. Absolutely cringing for Fraser and the LL board etc crying about sporting integrity yet allowing the ugly sisters to jump 100’s of other clubs. Where’s the sporting integrity there George? You just a wee bit worried looking back at Talbot, Pollok, Bankies, Troon, Buffs and Darvel etc? 
3 feeder leagues and 1 promotion place yet this mob are being parachuted in for ‘1 year’ aye sporting integrity. 

👏 well put!

It’ll be interesting to see what Grenta 2008’s views are, as “benefactors” to this cash bonanza... I think I know what their supporters group think though 😉

Good to see the same old nonsense getting peddled about crowd numbers. That's a moot point, mind you.

I've put together my thoughts on the proposal. Covered most bases here.

We're basically talking about the two Colt sides playing a glorified friendly campaign for a season and paying member clubs for the priviledge. I don't have an issue with it in principle - my problem is with how this looks to the feeder leagues below. Long been a proponent of two relegation spots...now is the time for it if this is possibly getting passed.

Edited by Born To Run

4 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

Good to see the same old nonsense getting peddled about crowd numbers. That's a moot point, mind you.

We're basically talking about the two Colt sides playing a glorified friendly campaign for a season and paying member clubs for the priviledge. I don't have an issue with it in principle - my problem is with how this looks to the feeder leagues below. Long been a proponent of two relegation spots...now is the time for it if this is possibly getting passed.

Interesting that you think the integrity of the sport has a price in this case, I doubt you would have been so generous had the exact same idea been proposed at League 2 level. If this goes through the Lowland League lose all of the moral high ground they have built up over the last year - of course some of that is receding anyway with the ludicrous Vale of Leithen situation.

Having their results counted in the final league table as you noted in the blog doesn't make it sound like glorified friendlies either, unless that was a typo?

If you genuinely think this is a one-season thing then I've got some magic beans you might be interested in.

5 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

It’s got NOTHING to do with “crowd numbers”. It’s about the sustainability of the club!

If the business model doesn’t work, then that the club’s fault. Most other clubs are surviving through hard work of their leaders and dedication of their fanbase, without the need of this OF Colts nonsense.

Also, I have never until today had a bad word to say about BSC and the chairman, they have been a revelation over the last few years and should be commended for that. That admiration though has dissolved over the last few hours with this charade.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Interesting that you think the integrity of the sport has a price in this case, I doubt you would have been so generous had the exact same idea been proposed at League 2 level.

As I mentioned in my piece, I was of exactly the same mindset when it came to the League 2 proposal - if it came with further (i.e. automatic) relegation confirmed, I was fine with it. I'm essentially advocating the same thing here.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Having their results counted in the final league table as you noted in the blog doesn't make it sound like glorified friendlies either, unless that was a typo?

If you genuinely think this is a one-season thing then I've got some magic beans you might be interested in.

The results being counted seems to be still up in the air, looking at David Severs tweet. The direction of travel may be to leave them out.

As for that final point? You could throw that in for anything in Scottish Football. I'll choose to go with the proposal's stated term. It would need voted through again to extend/change.