Celtic and Rangers B Teams in League Two?

Would not like to see it, The likes of Rangers and Celtic, the majority of their team will be foreign. Even when a home grown player does break through into the 1st team it is rare they get a lot of game time, there are obviously exceptions. I have seen it where a young players breaks through, usually due to an injury,  does well and then once the injured player, usually brought in for a few million and on a high wage, is fit again they are bounced back to the a place on the bench.

in saying that, I think there is a lot of change coming to the league structure in the next few years. From what I am seeing a lot of the junior clubs are considering joining the senior set up, If the colt teams are to be added, and I can see it happening, they should be added as any club would be at the bottom rung. 

They should also be limited to league one, for any promotion, as I think it would dilute the promotion challenge for Premiership football. 

The SPFL does not exist to improve two teams only at the expense of the rest. The OF hoover up young Scottish talent and sell them on to lower league teams in Engerland while they sign young foreign talent for their first team squad. If they want to improve their young Scottish players then like every other team in the league, give them first team football.

Get this colt idea to fuuck.

Written several times about this on the League Two thread, but the simple reason these two want their Colts into the Scottish system is as a fall back if their top sides get the opportunity to play down south, which they won't, or in a European league system, which they might.

It's nothing to do with developing Scottish talent, that's not even a very low priority for the two. 

Is there any credible data of substance to support the theory that this will increase the development of young players and thus benefit the national team? Other than "the big countries do it!!!" of course.

I would genuinely read it because I'm interested to know why they think it's acceptable to take a competitive league within the SPFL and effectively turn it into a vehicle for youth development without some serious evidence that it works.

I also get the argument that youth football isn't sufficient for young players but what alternatives have been considered? How did they land on the idea that colt teams for two clubs is the only way to increase first team experience for youngsters?

Has the impact in the top league been considered? Youth development is one of they areas where 'diddy' sides stand a chance of competing with the OF, this would further stifle competition in that area.

There are several more questions to answer on this before you can even consider it a credible action to be rushed through for next season. The morons on Sportsound who have thrown away comments like 'league 2 clubs shouldn't have a say' or 'people should just get over the fact it's an OF proposal' would do well to properly research this and give us a detailed explanation on why this is actually a good thing for the game as a whole.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Nope, nope and nope again.

Why should the OF be able to have an advantage over other clubs by being able to blood youngsters or bit part players in competitive games ? They already have a financial advantage over everybody else, and then they should be handed another one at second team level ?

f**k right off with that.

Rangers are fucking terrible at producing players.  They all get released at 19 and end up at clubs like Irvine Meadow and BCS Glasgow.

You could probably give them Billy Gilmour. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is there any credible data of substance to support the theory that this will increase the development of young players and thus benefit the national team? Other than "the big countries do it!!!" of course.

There's not. There's a LOT of evidence that players getting first team football earlier (17-18) makes better players but there's a chicken/egg argument there. Maybe the reason the best players get first team football at that age is because they're that good. 

As for HOW they get that first team football? Seems to make no difference if it's as part of a B team, on loan or coming through at a team lower down the leagues before winning a move to a bigger club. 

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

There's not. There's a LOT of evidence that players getting first team football earlier (17-18) makes better players but there's a chicken/egg argument there. Maybe the reason the best players get first team football at that age is because they're that good. 

As for HOW they get that first team football? Seems to make no difference if it's as part of a B team, on loan or coming through at a team lower down the leagues before winning a move to a bigger club. 

I'm sure Welsh benefited from his time at Morton,project brave take care of the players until they get to 18 years old.
From 18 to 21 is where the problem is,Hamilton are very good at putting these players into the first team.. 

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm sure Welsh benefited from his time at Morton,project brave take care of the players until they get to 18 years old.
From 18 to 21 is where the problem is,Hamilton are very good at putting these players into the first team.. 

Yep, Michael Devlin, Lewis Ferguson and Greg Docherty off the top of my head. 

11 hours ago, CountyFan said:

This would be my red line for Scottish football. I'd be away to watch rugby or ice hockey or actually spend some time with the missus of a weekend. 

Thank God things have never got that bad...

17 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Aye, I alluded to this in the league 2 thread. The argument they have in the mainstream media is very leading in that they start with the fact academy football doesn't work and young players need first team games, then immediately jump to the conclusion that colts is the answer.

I've not yet seen anything substantive that supports colt teams as a clear benefit to youth development over say the loan system or even players just coming through at lower league clubs or whatever else.

This comparison to Spain is nonsense. The lower leagues in Spain are regional and B Teams make up the numbers for competition purposes. Historically it would have been financially impossible for a Basque side to play a Canary Island team for example. Just get this idea binned

1 hour ago, Lothiangamer said:

Would not like to see it, The likes of Rangers and Celtic, the majority of their team will be foreign. Even when a home grown player does break through into the 1st team it is rare they get a lot of game time, there are obviously exceptions. I have seen it where a young players breaks through, usually due to an injury,  does well and then once the injured player, usually brought in for a few million and on a high wage, is fit again they are bounced back to the a place on the bench.

in saying that, I think there is a lot of change coming to the league structure in the next few years. From what I am seeing a lot of the junior clubs are considering joining the senior set up, If the colt teams are to be added, and I can see it happening, they should be added as any club would be at the bottom rung. 

They should also be limited to league one, for any promotion, as I think it would dilute the promotion challenge for Premiership football. 

Most of them have already done so, e.g. WoSL and EoSL, very few juniors left, North Region, Tayside and a few others.

23 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Welsh was shite at Morton and never played in the position he's playing at Celtic now. I doubt the difference between him breaking into the Celtic team now and being discarded to the junior leagues was a handful of games out of position against Alloa or Arbroath. In any case, if the Colt teams happened, he wouldn't have got those games at that level. He'd be playing in League 2: not the Championship. If Celtic want their best youngsters to get games under their belt at a high level they'll still be loaning them out to clubs anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, I alluded to this in the league 2 thread. The argument they have in the mainstream media is very leading in that they start with the fact academy football doesn't work and young players need first team games, then immediately jump to the conclusion that colts is the answer.

I've not yet seen anything substantive that supports colt teams as a clear benefit to youth development over say the loan system or even players just coming through at lower league clubs or whatever else.

The only way to find out is to try it,nothing gained nothing lost.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

The only way to find out is to try it,nothing gained nothing lost.

Fair enough, in 22/23 we can then try putting a maximum of 4 over 21 players in the first teams in the Premiership.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Great idea.  Make sure the colt sides play each other when the big teams have a day off.. That way all the morons can have an extra four fixtures of bigotry  to give their undivided attetion to.  Everyone's a winner. Scotland will be the envy of the world.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

'But, but Spain have B teams in their league and they are good' 

So do Lithuania and they aren't. There's no fucking correlation. 

People who say that forget that Spain have had colt teams for several decades and were arguably the biggest underachievers in international football until 2008...

Edited by Marten

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Welsh was shite at Morton and never played in the position he's playing at Celtic now. I doubt the difference between him breaking into the Celtic team now and being discarded to the junior leagues was a handful of games out of position against Alloa or Arbroath. In any case, if the Colt teams happened, he wouldn't have got those games at that level. He'd be playing in League 2: not the Championship. If Celtic want their best youngsters to get games under their belt at a high level they'll still be loaning them out to clubs anyway. 

The aim is to get 18 to 21 year old players at least 50 first team games under their belts,the fact that Hamilton do this every season is credit to them.
The more players at that age getting first team football the better it will be for the game in Scotland.