Celtic and Rangers B Teams in League Two?

35 minutes ago, ahemps said:

You will watch Livi and Celtic more than me so I won't argue with you but if over half the Livi team are good enough to get in the Celtic squad then you must have the best scouting system in the league and will be getting great value for money.

I'd say that's one thing Livi are almost universally praised for. Finding players that play above their level, it's the main reason we had back to back promotions. 

Within 5 years we've went from League 1 to back to back top 6 finishes. Gallagher, Kelly, McCrorie and Dykes had Scotland call ups in that time too. I think Celtic are guilty of relying on players too much and the quality of players like Hazard/Welsh/Johnston/Harper is nowhere near Premiership level. 

We've had stinkers like Pepe and Stokes but we've been quick to get rid of them whilst bringing top 6 level players in like Guthrie/Bartley etc

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I get it big bad Celtic,Aberdeen did the same with Ferguson,It's easy for Celtic to look at the league and take their pick eg. Doig at Hibs.
If the colts where up and running and Celtic had just sold Tierney(He would be the bench mark) Celtic wouldn't have to get Taylor or Doig they would have a player behind Tierney on the conveyor belt.They would also have a guy not making the grade like Calvin Miller at notts county.
The more players Celtic have the better it will be for the rest of the league,we have our quota just like any other club in the country.

Celtic have a conveyor belt of talent is bad for every other side in the league.  We dont gain by giving the most powerful clubs another advantage.  Go to your Atlantic League take your other arse cheek and ask them to sort out a league for your colts. 

We dont like you, we dont want you. 

*immediately searches last years COVID threads to laugh at all the "actually, Neil Doncaster is doing a good job" posts*

Surely it would be better to search for the folk who simultaneously don't want B teams and also think that decision making should be taken out of the clubs' hands because of "self-interest". As it stands, Doncaster can think whatever he wants about B teams but has no actual mechanism for implementing them.

All he can do is act on behalf of his employers and put across the ideas that the SPFL's competitions working group have proposed. If they'd decided they wanted a 400 team league he'd be on there extolling the virtues of that.

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The more players Celtic have the better it will be for the rest of the league,we have our quota just like any other club in the country.

You’ve come away with some belters in your time, but that’s probably the best of the lot.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Surely it would be better to search for the folk who simultaneously don't want B teams and also think that decision making should be taken out of the clubs' hands because of "self-interest". As it stands, Doncaster can think whatever he wants about B teams but has no actual mechanism for implementing them.

All he can do is act on behalf of his employers and put across the ideas that the SPFL's competitions working group have proposed. If they'd decided they wanted a 400 team league he'd be on there extolling the virtues of that.

But the position of Neil Doncaster's employers is not "This working group has come up with a good idea, and here's why it's a good idea". His employers have no position on it yet, because (unless I've missed it) the proposal hasn't even gone to a vote yet.

If Doncaster extolled the virtues of every working group proposal, he would have backed league reconstruction last year, which was also the outcome of an SPFL working group. However, he didn't do that. So how does he decide which proposal he wants to campaign for? https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/12005424/spfl-has-taken-lead-on-restructuring-issue-insists-chief-executive-neil-doncaster

His job is solely to implement the decisions taken by the members. His job is not to compaign for what he thinks the best outcome is. Unfortunately, he's never recognised the extents of his scope. He's almost as bad as Roger Mitchell.

13 hours ago, kingjoey said:

You’ve come away with some belters in your time, but that’s probably the best of the lot.

Cheers,I've got a better one,ALL the dafties on hear think Celtic are getting more control why do we need more control than we've got just now. Plus they all think it won't work but Celtic are willing to give up some prize money to fund it so it's like throwing dosh down the toilet and the diddies can have a wee laugh.
It doesn't matter to me which club gets the chance to do this the more talent we produce the better the game will become.
Professional contracts are given out at 16 years old project brave takes care of them until they turn 18 years old.
From 18 to 21 is the problem if the clubs could agree with a west of Scotland team and a east of Scotland team going into league 2 that takes away the stigma.
Use the prize money to fund it and have a draft system each year for full time clubs,the only problem I can see is the contract of the player from 16 to 18.
It's maybe a batshit idea but it's a compromise to the status quo.

17 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I get it big bad Celtic,Aberdeen did the same with Ferguson,It's easy for Celtic to look at the league and take their pick eg. Doig at Hibs.
If the colts where up and running and Celtic had just sold Tierney(He would be the bench mark) Celtic wouldn't have to get Taylor or Doig they would have a player behind Tierney on the conveyor belt.They would also have a guy not making the grade like Calvin Miller at notts county.

Aberdeen signed Lewis Ferguson on a pre-contract when he had just broken in to the Hamilton team and he's started almost every single game he's been available for since signing.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aberdeen signed Lewis Ferguson on a pre-contract when he had just broken in to the Hamilton team and he's started almost every single game he's been available for since signing.

I've said before there was a wee bit of nepotism in that signing.

Just now, wastecoatwilly said:

I've said before there was a wee bit of nepotism in that signing.

Yes that's right. You think we signed Lewis Ferguson from Hamilton at the end of his contract a thank you from Rangers for Ryan Jack leaving us at the end of his contract.

Always Sunny Fx GIF

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Yes that's right. You think we signed Lewis Ferguson from Hamilton at the end of his contract a thank you from Rangers for Ryan Jack leaving us at the end of his contract.

Always Sunny Fx GIF

No, Greg Docherty going to sevco put Ferguson into the first team at Hamilton,just moving players about to make sure they get game time.

3 minutes ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Why League 2.........,last time I checked theres a pyramid system in place,SLFL or WoSFL??

I know I am against the grain on this but if they want Colt teams & are willing to give up money to do so then fine, but they should be starting at the lowest possible rung of the WoSFL & any player registered to the Colt Team should not be permitted to play for the first team and vice versa unless they are "transferred" during the standard window. There should also be a ceiling ensuring they cannot be promoted beyond League 1 although I suspect that will not be a problem looking at the Teacake Cup results.

4 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

I know I am against the grain on this but if they want Colt teams & are willing to give up money to do so then fine, but they should be starting at the lowest possible rung of the WoSFL & any player registered to the Colt Team should not be permitted to play for the first team and vice versa unless they are "transferred" during the standard window. There should also be a ceiling ensuring they cannot be promoted beyond League 1 although I suspect that will not be a problem looking at the Teacake Cup results.

Most of that is in the proposal.