Celtic and Rangers B Teams in League Two?

Anybody else fill in the survey from Supporters Direct Scotland?

Survey results are no surprise. OF in favour, rest not.

Survey Results

Overall, just 23.2% of Scottish fans are in favour of these proposals - with a sharp divide between the views of Old Firm fans and fans of other clubs. 88.2% of Old Firm fans are in favour, but only 11% of other fans support these proposals. Support is lowest (8%) amongst fans of the other Premiership clubs, with 11.3% in favour in the Championship, 10.4% in League One, 17.6% in League Two, and 37% support from Highland and Lowland league fans.

Of those in favour of the proposals, we asked whether promotion should be possible through the divisions. Around three quarters of these survey respondents agree that promotion should be permitted, but most feel that promotion should be limited to League One (25.1%) or the Championship (34.6%). Only 14.1% of these respondents believe that B teams should be allowed to reach the top division.

Regardless of their response to previous questions, we also asked fans whether they would watch their team play against a B team. Again, the responses from Old Firm fans were starkly different from fans of other clubs - 80.3% of Rangers and Celtic fans would watch these matches, compared with just 16.2% of other fans (a combined response of 26.3% overall).

Similarly polarised responses were received when we asked whether the introduction of B teams would result in improved player development - 88.9% of Rangers and Celtic fans believe that player development would be improved, compared with 11.2% of other fans (23.4% overall).

22 minutes ago, Ric said:

More than 1 in 10 would happily see colt teams in the top division? That would literally sign the death knell for the Scottish game.

1 in 10 of the people who wanted colt teams - which was 23.2% of the total survey, so about 2.3% of all those who responded. 

I think. 

16 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

1 in 10 of the people who wanted colt teams - which was 23.2% of the total survey, so about 2.3% of all those who responded. 

I think. 

Yeah, fair point.

I'm against colts for all the obvious reasons, but the idea that anyone not only supports the idea but is happy to see them at the top level is crazy.

10 hours ago, Mvondo_the_great said:

It actually might be funny seeing the soft rangers and Celtic reserves being brutalised by the postmen of league Two. At least for a couple of seasons.

Get the money up front though. 

Do you think that would be allowed to happen? 

Cast your mind back to the referees 'randomly selected' for Rangers games as they bravely fought their way through the leagues. They'd be protected. 

I'm not surprised at all at those poll findings - I think it's a non-starter really.

Rangers (and Celtic) need to find the opportunities themselves to provide young players meaningful game time rather than look to force through the Colt Team idea. Whether that's through loans or first team game time.

I think there's a reluctance from those managing either side to rely on too many youth prospects coming into the first team due to the pressures and fan expectations of success at each club. That doesn't mean there cannot be a balance that other teams seem capable of managing - however I believe there will always be a lower percentage of academy prospects going on to have long and successful careers at Rangers or Celtic.

I don't think there are many things that get fans more excited than seeing an academy player break through and do well in the first team but I think we need to adopt a different approach to achieve that rather than go all in on the Colt proposal.

Edited by AJF

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I think there's a reluctance from those managing either side to rely on too many youth prospects coming into the first team due to the pressures and fan expectations (of success) at each club.

Agreeing to what you've written to an extent, and would emphasise the importance of this sentence (minus of success of course) to supporters at all clubs. They have the expectation of going to watch their sides without the baggage attached to the two clubs who have supporters expectant of being part of a triumphal sept.

45 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Agreeing to what you've written to an extent, and would emphasise the importance of this sentence (minus of success of course) to supporters at all clubs. They have the expectation of going to watch their sides without the baggage attached to the two clubs who have supporters expectant of being part of a triumphal sept.

Yeah I agree, all fans have expectations that they'd like their managers to meet and those expectations will be relative to the team they support. I just meant that at Rangers or Celtic, I feel managers are more at risk of losing their jobs if they do not meet the demand for success which likely results in their reluctance to "risk" playing a lot of youth.

Do you think that would be allowed to happen? 
Cast your mind back to the referees 'randomly selected' for Rangers games as they bravely fought their way through the leagues. They'd be protected. 

Referees have never been randomly selected for games and I have no idea where the perception that they are has come from. The higher rated referees get the bigger and higher pressure games because they (in theory) have the experience and ability to deal with these.

5 hours ago, AJF said:

Yeah I agree, all fans have expectations that they'd like their managers to meet and those expectations will be relative to the team they support. I just meant that at Rangers or Celtic, I feel managers are more at risk of losing their jobs if they do not meet the demand for success which likely results in their reluctance to "risk" playing a lot of youth.

Do you not feel though that Rangers and Celtic should in theory have more opportunities than most clubs to blood youngsters? You are overwhelming favourites in every game you play in Scotland apart from against each other so have plenty scope to play youth.

Take your home games against Hamilton, Livi, Ross County etc. you could easily play 1-2 youth players and should still win these games without even getting out of 2nd gear. The Motherwells and St Johnstones make up their teams with players released from Northampton and Wimbledon while you have £5m players on your bench. When you are 3-0 up with 35 minutes to go you could easily give youth players more game time.

Celtic were missing 13 players in January against Livi and Hibs yet when looking at the 2 sides during these games the best 11 players on the park still played for Celtic. Celtic were a shambles at that point yet still didn't lose these games proving that you have plenty wiggle room to give fringe/youth players opportunities.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

Do you not feel though that Rangers and Celtic should in theory have more opportunities than most clubs to blood youngsters? You are overwhelming favourites in every game you play in Scotland apart from against each other so have plenty scope to play youth.

Take your home games against Hamilton, Livi, Ross County etc. you could easily play 1-2 youth players and should still win these games without even getting out of 2nd gear. The Motherwells and St Johnstones make up their teams with players released from Northampton and Wimbledon while you have £5m players on your bench. When you are 3-0 up with 35 minutes to go you could easily give youth players more game time.

Celtic were missing 13 players in January against Livi and Hibs yet when looking at the 2 sides during these games the best 11 players on the park still played for Celtic. Celtic were a shambles at that point yet still didn't lose these games proving that you have plenty wiggle room to give fringe/youth players opportunities.

Celtic were hanging on, comfortably talking out your arse on this one