Celtic and Rangers B Teams in League Two?

I'm not actually against the idea at all, in principle.

The problem is that football in this country is so incredibly biased in favour of the Old Firm and Rangers, that it could never be implemented fairly. Ultimately, only the cheeks would ever get the opportunity, and it would be yet another way for them to further their already unfair advantage.

On 18/03/2021 at 12:44, kingjoey said:

If it’s all about producing players for Scotland, the present squad has 4 produced by Aberdeen (Considine, McKenna, Jack and Fraser), Celtic have 3 (Marshall, McGregor and Tierney) and Rangers 1 (Fleck), unless I’ve missed anyone. So if I’m right surely the two colt teams should be Aberdeen and Celtic.

If you want to be really nitpicky about it, Stephen O'Donnell and Kenny McLean also started out at Aberdeen.

I totally appreciate that, and I said already I think it was a wasted opportunity to not bring through even more youth prospects into the first team, my main point was around the claim that we never played youngsters which I don’t think is entirely correct, because we gave youth a bigger opportunity during that period compared to any other period in our recent history.
It still wasn’t enough in my opinion, but I understood why Rangers brought in senior players in an attempt to get us through the leagues as quickly as possible because despite all their talent, I think fielding a team made up of predominantly academy prospects would struggle to climb through the leagues.
Fair enough. You are correct. You did regularly use some youngsters but with 12 in the squad most didn't feature. Even less feature in your first team squad now.

Other teams in the Premiership are fielding teenagers not against part-timers in the lowest league but against full-time pros in the top League. That is the way to develop young talent. Colt players in the lowest league will not develop at the same rate as playing in the first team squad of their parent club. Most players in a colt squad do not make it anyway. Sending out the best on loan is a better way for development. St Mirren have 4 Academy players out on loan - 2 of which have played in the first team - and have 4 ex-Academy players in the first team squad.

For Rangers, winning is more important than development and few Academy players seem to make it to the first team squad. Which is why the excuse of a Colt team for developing young talent in the lowest League doesn't really stand up. If they are good enough they are old enough.

If this does go through ye know in five years time some bang average young Celtic midfielder will get a call up for a friendly against Luxembourg at Easter Road. After playing the final ten minutes and doing nothing of note it'll be all over the papers the next day "Celtic youngster says it was matches v Bo'ness and Brechin that set him up for international stardom" after he played a dozen games for the B team two years earlier.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Fair enough. You are correct. You did regularly use some youngsters but with 12 in the squad most didn't feature. Even less feature in your first team squad now.

Other teams in the Premiership are fielding teenagers not against part-timers in the lowest league but against full-time pros in the top League. That is the way to develop young talent. Colt players in the lowest league will not develop at the same rate as playing in the first team squad of their parent club. Most players in a colt squad do not make it anyway. Sending out the best on loan is a better way for development. St Mirren have 4 Academy players out on loan - 2 of which have played in the first team - and have 4 ex-Academy players in the first team squad.

For Rangers, winning is more important than development and few Academy players seem to make it to the first team squad. Which is why the excuse of a Colt team for developing young talent in the lowest League doesn't really stand up. If they are good enough they are old enough.

Yeah, I agree with what you’ve said. I tried to make it clear that my response to you was not in support of the Colt proposal as I don’t want it to be honest.

11 hours ago, Illgresi said:

I'm not actually against the idea at all, in principle.

The problem is that football in this country is so incredibly biased in favour of the Old Firm and Rangers, that it could never be implemented fairly. Ultimately, only the cheeks would ever get the opportunity, and it would be yet another way for them to further their already unfair advantage.

If you want to be really nitpicky about it, Stephen O'Donnell and Kenny McLean also started out at Aberdeen.

I want to be nitpicky. 6 produced by Aberdeen. The other clubs should be paying us for our B team to be included in League 2.

If this idea was truly about player development then other clubs like Aberdeen, Hibs, St. Mirren etc.. (who actually develop players) would also be offered a chance to enter the pyramid as well.  A more logical approach would be to invest in coaching of existing lower league clubs and academies so that promising youngsters can get loan time in an actual professional environment with mentorship from experienced pros.  

19 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

If this idea was truly about player development then other clubs like Aberdeen, Hibs, St. Mirren etc.. (who actually develop players) would also be offered a chance to enter the pyramid as well.  A more logical approach would be to invest in coaching of existing lower league clubs and academies so that promising youngsters can get loan time in an actual professional environment with mentorship from experienced pros.  

It comes across that Celtic and Rangers are saying that they can’t produce good youngsters through the system as it is just now, but all other clubs can and get these players through to international standard. The question for these two clubs should be, why?

On 19/03/2021 at 10:50, wastecoatwilly said:

The aim is to get 18 to 21 year old players at least 50 first team games under their belts,the fact that Hamilton do this every season is credit to them.
The more players at that age getting first team football the better it will be for the game in Scotland.

This is shite Willie. It will only be of benefit if they are good enough in the first place.  We’ve seen plenty of players break into the OF first teams as teenagers over the years hailed as the ‘next big thing’ who’ve gone onto achieve very little.

Players should get first team games based on how good they are, not their age, otherwise all you’re doing is lowering the standard.  It’s up to the youngsters to prove their worth and force their way into starting line ups.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I want to be nitpicky. 6 produced by Aberdeen. The other clubs should be paying us for our B team to be included in League 2.

Celtic can also claim O'donnell and Gallagher but this is the problem who cares where they started their careers it's all about the level they get to.

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This is shite Willie. It will only be of benefit if they are good enough in the first place.  We’ve seen plenty of players break into the OF first teams as teenagers over the years hailed as the ‘next big thing’ who’ve gone onto achieve very little.

Players should get first team games based on how good they are, not their age, otherwise all you’re doing is lowering the standard.  It’s up to the youngsters to prove their worth and force their way into starting line ups.

If we use Jamie McCart as an example some mite say he could've done a job at Celtic this season but that is our fault for letting him go.
St Johnstone have benefited from that and the player has found his level for me this could happen more and more with colts.
Celtic have their numbers to fill like any club some more than others can afford.
Because McCart went to St Johnstone he may not get an international cap wee joke. 

4 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic can also claim O'donnell and Gallagher but this is the problem who cares where they started their careers it's all about the level they get to.

This is kind of the point though isn’t it. This is Celtic realising they could’ve held onto an Andy Robertson if they had the means to give him first team football. 

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is kind of the point though isn’t it. This is Celtic realising they could’ve held onto an Andy Robertson if they had the means to give him first team football. 

No Celtic didn't give Robertson a professional contract they released him before 16 years old what we are posting about is 18 to 21's  

Look at the bigger picture here. There are rumblings amongst the real giants of European football about a breakaway franchise league involving the likes of PSG, Bayern, Real Madrid etc as these clubs look enviously at US Sports incomes compared to their own. Many huge clubs have been taken over in recent years by billionaire individuals and indeed countries in some cases. These people foresee even larger revenue streams for a European Super League.
Celtic and Rangers are under the misguided belief that somehow they will included in this proposal. They won’t be due to potential TV viewing figures. However they believe they will be. It then makes sense from their point of view to have a way back to Scottish football if 1. They’re invited to join said league and 2. They finish bottom and are replaced by a Leicester, Dortmund or Ajax.
This has nothing to do with developing talent