Celtic and Rangers B Teams in League Two?

34 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The aim is to get 18 to 21 year old players at least 50 first team games under their belts,the fact that Hamilton do this every season is credit to them.
The more players at that age getting first team football the better it will be for the game in Scotland.

Great idea. The best way to do this is to limit the amount of players clubs can have registered. That would be more egalitarian than any idea that benefits the two biggest clubs in Scotland no-one else

John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Lewis Morgan, Stevie Mallan, Ethan Erhahon, Cammy McPherson, Dylan Reid (at 16 and 5 days) all Academy graduates playing in St Mirren's first team as teenagers in the last few years. If you are good enough you are old enough. The OF should try it.

Edited by NorthBank

The only way to find out is to try it,nothing gained nothing lost.

A large number of fans of lower league clubs have already stated their intention to stop going to games if we try it so there will be an instant loss with no guarantee of the gain.

This is something that really interests me and I’d love to read something that clearly lays out the pros and cons before making any decision on it. I haven’t been able to find any such document.

I do think some of the things John Collins talks about have some merit and I think he’s genuinely passionate about developing young players rather than just thinking about Celtic but again I’d like to see some proof that it actually works.

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

Get this idea into the sea, I've yet to hear a VALID positive argument for the introduction of Colt teams.

Which sea or ocean is the deepest?

Get it in there and bury this crackpot idea for good.

If I am in Elgin or Arbroath for example,  I have absolutely no desire turning up to watch Elgin or Arbroath playing the OF colts.

Why should Scottish football bow down to the requirements of the OF?

They are habitual pickers in Scottish football, historically if they play a team and someone shines against them, the rumours begin, upsets the players, Oh the OF are interested in signing him.

Get this idea in the bin for good.

21 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

A large number of fans of lower league clubs have already stated their intention to stop going to games if we try it so there will be an instant loss with no guarantee of the gain.

This is something that really interests me and I’d love to read something that clearly lays out the pros and cons before making any decision on it. I haven’t been able to find any such document.

I do think some of the things John Collins talks about have some merit and I think he’s genuinely passionate about developing young players rather than just thinking about Celtic but again I’d like to see some proof that it actually works.

The things Collins was saying about this is all being about the development of players for the Scottish National side is a total red herring. He was saying that the reason that France, Spain, Holland, Croatia and a couple of other countries have been successful was because they have have their biggest clubs B teams in lower leagues. He offered absolutely no proof of why that is the case. This is purely and simply bribery by offering the smaller clubs a wad of cash. And to put the case for the plan was the Brora Rangers chairman, whose team would obviously benefit. Hardly balanced reporting.

33 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Collins was too thick to understand he was talking up "B" teams, which are entirely different to the "Colt" sides Celtic/Rangers are proposing, so I doubt anything he said had any merit in the slightest.

Edited by RandomGuy.

It's such a lazy, half arsed approach to the issue of player development, and typical of Scottish football.

Some idiots have looked at a single factor, in this case 'colt' teams, and have been selective in quoting which countries use it, as if this single factor is the reason for the success of the selective countries. The other, actual factors of why successful countries are successful have been utterly ignored here.

There is no analysis of how it will supposedly work. There isn't even a stated goal to measure against and to show the working towards. What is the aim here? 'Develop more younger players'? How many? What age range? How is that success measured? Appearances for the first team? By when? How many? Starts? Sub appearances? 

The arguments seem to be that younger players will get regular game, but at League 2 level. How is that more beneficial than loaning out a player to a Championship team? How will that somehow be more successful/efficient in developing players? Every single year we see players from the Premiership go out on loan to teams in the three leagues below. How many of the ones from Sevco and Celtic will go on to become first team regulars for their parent team? I don't have stats but from what I recall of players I've seen for and against my team, it's very, very few. If these players can't break through to the first team after being on loan at a Championship team, how will they make it to the first team by playing at an even lower level, against a significantly lower level of player?

It's nonsense. It's a reactionary, moronic, barely coherent bag of shite.

In fact, it's almost as if the goal isn't player development....

Edited by DA Baracus

14 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

For me the main problem is losing players to the game, some players find their level but far too many leave without even testing their own ability.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

John McGinn, Kenny McLean, Lewis Morgan, Stevie Mallan, Ethan Erhahon, Cammy McPherson, Dylan Reid (at 16 and 5 days) all Academy playing in St Mirren's first team as teenagers in the last few years. If you are good enough you are old enough. The OF should try it.

This is the whole point of why they're wanting this.  Both Celtic and Rangers are too scared to play youths in the first team in case they don't win the league, so they want another team in the league to play them in.  Disguising it as 'helping the national team' whereas it's just a place for them to buy others teams players to weaken them even more.

Why is it only OF teams that push this and are mentioned, why not allow any club to consider offering a 'B team' for voting - the idea of adding 2 spots for HL & LL is just a gesture to placate IMO. We have seen in the Challenge cup that the colts aren't always that great and this will deprive young players from those clubs going on loan to the very lower leagues or higher limiting  experience of not just playing at that level but interacting with senior players - creating a youngster bubble just to try showcase how good they are or bring senior players back to fitness without having to accommodate in the first team is undoubtedly just another example of the OF looking to get further competitive advantage.

My opinion is that the idea needs to be put to bed permanently so it disappears for good OR Rangers & Celtic (and any other team looking for colts) leave the Scottish league set up (going anywhere that can take them) and the open spaces in the system are open for application (where they can play youngsters) to new clubs (f which they can apply in whatever guise to start at the bottom) and see if the members choose to accept.

OMFG is this shit being raised again, year after year it's proposed. What part of naw do these fuckwits not understand. Its bad enough having 2 bigot brothers without wanting to double it and move them to the lower leagues..

Another thing that was mentioned on the Sportsound discussions was why not have other B teams in as well if clubs want it. No mention of what would happen to the size of League 2 if this happened. A league of potentially 26 teams sounds very inviting.

If this is truly about developing players for the National team, somebody should tell The Rangers and Celtic about the loan system. You know, where you send your young guys out to get game time in lower leagues.

They could even loan players to clubs in the same league if they were really intent on bettering the National team, and in turn, the quality of the league.  The league that seems to be holding them back.

Just a thought.

29 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Why is it only OF teams that push this

Because they're the only clubs that want to hoard 80+ over 18 year old footballers. Some get loaned out to varying levels, so they need the Colt sides to get game time into those who can't get loan moves.

Its nothing more than them trying to excuse the fact they're stockpiling players to prevent other clubs benefiting. Transfer fees are a major income for Scottish sides so the OF sucking that away from them by taking every youth player going is the dream.

I support a Diddy club in the lower leagues so I don’t need to deal with the old firm pish have no interest in playing there A,B, C, to Z teams and would not go to any game featuring these clubs.