Missing In Action

17 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Well, no

It certainly seemed like a shite situation, but he said frequently he would repay everyone. I have no reason to doubt he meant it, and hopefully he does return to that thread one day with some good news but (I've also just realised) it's been four years.

I think everyone who helped him out said they didn't want repaying.

18 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Well, no

It certainly seemed like a shite situation, but he said frequently he would repay everyone. I have no reason to doubt he meant it, and hopefully he does return to that thread one day with some good news but (I've also just realised) it's been four years.

Made it clear at the time, as did many others, that I wasn't wanting it back. Just wanted to help someone who seemed to be in a shite situation which should be the default setting.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I think everyone who helped him out said they didn't want repaying.

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Made it clear at the time, as did many others, that I wasn't wanting it back. Just wanted to help someone who seemed to be in a shite situation which should be the default setting.

Aye, same. I didn't expect anything back either and maybe it's naive but I'd rather believe he needed the help than assume the worst. I never had any indication it was the latter. Just seemed like a guy who was really struggling and didn't feel comfortable coming back after needing that help.

I believe my comment at the time was that, when he had the money to repay folk, he was welcome to put mine towards hookers and ching. Hopefully that wasn't part of the problem in the first place.

When we've got folk begging for money on a regular basis, it'll be something to worry about, but a couple of people over a decade or more isn't a problem, especially when (I believe) it's been other people who've started fundraising on their behalf.

My mate worked in Nigeria for years and said it is cultural to con others and to expect that others will do the same. Corruption is so endemic it takes place in almost every transaction.

It seems to be the same on Pie and Bovril.

For other tips, PM me your bank details to subscribe to my blog.

32 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

P&B members seem to love having their wallets inspected.

Was it a Dundee fan that scammed a load of folk and then promptly disappeared?  

Yep, Deefiant. I'm sure there was a jackanory of sorts regarding working in every possible remote location on earth and then disappeared.

Might be incorrect but I think the money was being collected for sponsoring a Dundee player's shirt.

Did he appear again sometime later with more tales?

4 minutes ago, gkneil said:

Yep, Deefiant. I'm sure there was a jackanory of sorts regarding working in every possible remote location on earth and then disappeared.

Might be incorrect but I think the money was being collected for sponsoring a Dundee player's shirt.

Did he appear again sometime later with more tales?

I think he came back eventually and refunded at least some of the money. He said something about splitting up with his wife and the money was (resting) in her bank account, not his, so he couldn’t refund it before then.

42 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Corruption is so endemic it takes place in almost every transaction.

It seems to be the same on Pie and Bovril.

*glances at the "benefits" of a platinum membership*

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Deefiant was collecting money to sponsor a player or players then went dark. He came back though and to the best of my knowledge paid up. I think @Robin.Hood or @johnnydun will remember better.

This is correct.

Thank you.

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Deefiant was collecting money to sponsor a player or players then went dark. He came back though and to the best of my knowledge paid up. I think @Robin.Hood or @johnnydun will remember better.

That is correct, although he could not pay it all back as DeeDee passed away. 

I did not put any money into this as my wife gave me this sound advice;

"Are you f**k handing over any money to some random on the Internet".

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Gillian Mair donated £75

This is a donation on behalf of the Friends Of Wings collective who had a wee do last Sat (16/10/21) and this is a collection from the smash in their pockets after the important business of buying drinks

What a night out that must have been.

Unbelievable that folk have donated to that. Wings must be laughing his head off as he rubs his hands together. 12k for f**k all.

Is setting up a Go Fund Me an utterly shameful thing to do? I get that by doing so you are basically asking people for free money but then again if someone wants to support you in your quest for whatever it is you want then why stop them?