St Johnstone v Ross County 20/3/21

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Good grief. I was buzzing for the match until I read this thread.

Top six would be wonderful. Would be great to at least equal last season’s finish and potentially aim to improve upon it by finishing 5th and qualifying for Europe. Steve Brown’s budgetary qualms don’t concern me.

Not exactly buzzing, there's still a bit of a cup final hangover for me making it harder to get excited about, combined with it not entirely being in our own hands, and it being Ross County, and bottom 6 games would be academic. 

Still, since the turn of the year we've been in really good form and in the top 6 Livi, Hibs and Aberdeen are very winnable games, and at least a point off Celtic isn't beyond imagination. European qualification and a cup in his first season would be a monumental achievement for Davidson. So I'm on the big game train. COYS.

No regrets today please. If we don’t make the top six it has to be because St Mirren have got the win and not because we’ve binned it yet again against County. I’d rather be sat here tonight thinking we’ve missed our because of all the draws earlier in the season than because we failed to get the three points here.

Clark

Kerr Gordon McCart

Rooney McCann Craig Booth

Wotherspoon Kane Melamed

On 17/03/2021 at 18:47, RandomGuy. said:

Possession: 76% - 14%

Shots: 12 - 1

xG: 2.3 - 0.4

Scoreline: 0-1

Keith Watson from 30 yards, that deflects in off a seagull.

haha. Has anything like that ever happened before? Some birds have been hit by baseball pitches over here.

52 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

haha. Has anything like that ever happened before? Some birds have been hit by baseball pitches over here.

Don't think there's been any goals in Scottish football like that, England obviously had Liverpool conceding after the ball deflecting in off a beachball years ago mind you.

Think Scottish football just had a dead bird stop a game at Hampden once, while Rangers seem to constantly have a collection of pigeons on their pitch these days.

On 18/03/2021 at 16:38, frankthetank22 said:

County are pretty poor atm.

County are pretty LWLWLWL at the moment, with some awful officiating undoubtedly contributing to a couple of those L’s. I’m not going to say we’re quite good, but I think calling us pretty poor is harsh when we’re finding ways to win every other game.

County's midfield looks pretty lightweight, while Watson/Donaldson v Kane/Melamed sounds fun, definitely need to attack that side of their defence.

Happy with our line up, reached a stage where even if we lose you're not looking at the starting line up and thinking the manager got it wrong.

Yeah, Callum has gone through a real period of enlightenment this season. It has been a learning process for him, but I'm glad to see that he has come through it with flying colours. He has gone from rookie manager to world-class manager (he is choosing the line-ups I'd choose).

Good to see Rooney starting, and the Kane/Melamed combo. Not really a "must win" as such, but certainly a "would be good to win!" Expect a tough game, County to be well up for it. Obviously can't control what happens elsewhere, just have to go out and give it their best shot.

As mentioned just above, it took a while I think for the players to get used to Callum's system, and for him to learn the best players in that system, and it was tough at times, but it really seems to be paying off now.

COYS

No pressure!!!!

2 hours ago, The Great Stagsby said:

County are pretty LWLWLWL at the moment, with some awful officiating undoubtedly contributing to a couple of those L’s. I’m not going to say we’re quite good, but I think calling us pretty poor is harsh when we’re finding ways to win every other game.

Have you watched our first half performances in our last couple of games, we've been lucky that the ineptitude of our opponents and some great saves by Laidlaw have kept us in games so we can make 4 or 5 subs totally change the team structure and have a go in the second half. 

Our good results (as welcomed as they are) have masked some terrible selections & performances imo.