Jump to content

Amateur Clubs Looking to Move to the Senior Leagues


Dev
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just wondering if anyone knows which Amateur clubs are thinking about moving up to the Pyramid Senior Leagues in the future?

This time around, so far, there seems to be Kilbride Thistle (Ayrshire Amateurs) to the West of Scotland League and Cupar Hearts (Fife Amateurs) and Letham AFC (Perth Amateurs) to the East of Scotland League.

Are there any clubs thinking of moving up to the North Caledonian, South of Scotland, North Juniors (soon to be Seniors?) or the East Region Juniors (north of Tay Bridge) which may also soon be a Senior League?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has Cupar Hearts confirmed their intentions to move?

Just wondering if anyone knows which Amateur clubs are thinking about moving up to the Pyramid Senior Leagues in the future?
This time around, so far, there seems to be Kilbride Thistle (Ayrshire Amateurs) to the West of Scotland League and Cupar Hearts (Fife Amateurs) and Letham AFC (Perth Amateurs) to the East of Scotland League.
Are there any clubs thinking of moving up to the North Caledonian, South of Scotland, North Juniors (soon to be Seniors?) or the East Region Juniors (north of Tay Bridge) which may also soon be a Senior League?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, xnxx said:

Has Cupar Hearts confirmed their intentions to move?

Not that I know of so it remains wait and see what happens with Cupar Hearts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The deadline for applications to join the WOSFL for the 2021/22 season is 31st March 2021. To date there have been 17 expressions of interest, the majority of which appear to be Amateur clubs. There may be the possibility of establishing a new division.

If you are interested enquire here:

https://wosfl.co.uk/join-the-wosfl/

 

NB: It is possible that ground entry requirements will be relaxed for new applicants in an Intermediate Division.

Edited by Pyramidic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This club is one of the leading Border Amateur League clubs. It is located between two former EoS clubs i.e. Duns and Kelso.

They seem active, organising a tournament for four clubs in early July. Wondering if they may be a candidate for promotion in the future?

 

 

Greenlaw FC on Twitter: "Thank you to everyone who has contacted the club, we have our four teams who will join Greenlaw at Happer Park on July 3rd & 4th: @HawickRAU - Hawick RA United (EOSFL) @TollcrossTh - Tollcross Thistle (LEAFA Premier) @pencaitlandfc - Pencaitland AFC (LEAFA Championship) 💚⚽🏆 https://t.co/DmMUNTQWZu" / Twitter

 
 
EEuAcn19_x96.jpg
 
Thank you to everyone who has contacted the club, we have our four teams who will join Greenlaw at Happer Park on July 3rd & 4th: - Hawick RA United (EOSFL) - Tollcross Thistle (LEAFA Premier) - Pencaitland AFC (LEAFA Championship)
 
Green heart
 
Soccer ball
 
Trophy
 
 
Image
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/03/2021 at 11:42, Pyramidic said:

The deadline for applications to join the WOSFL for the 2021/22 season is 31st March 2021. To date there have been 17 expressions of interest, the majority of which appear to be Amateur clubs. There may be the possibility of establishing a new division.

If you are interested enquire here:

https://wosfl.co.uk/join-the-wosfl/

 

NB: It is possible that ground entry requirements will be relaxed for new applicants in an Intermediate Division.

It is being reported on another thread that there are now 11 applications to join the WOSFL for the 2021/22 season which suggests that there may be enough clubs to form a separate “development division”. One of the applicants is rumoured to be from Argyll.

Any other prospective clubs only have until this coming Wednesday to get their applications in.

Edited by Pyramidic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look what can happen when an Amateur set-up moves to the WOSFL:

Thistle Poised For Off-The-Field Club Expansion

Kilbride Thistle AFC have given notice of their intention to expand and introduce new ideas at the Club, writes Tom Scott.

There are seven different categories which would require volunteers, and anyone interested should send West Kilbride Officials a DM via their Social Media platforms.

The list reads as follows:

1. Social Media / YouTube Team.

2. A Charity Team.

3. Coaches.

4. Scouts.

5. Expansion of Sports Science.

6. Physiotherapy Department.

7. General Committee Members.

Source: https://scottishamateurfootballnews.com/2021/03/30/thistle-poised-for-off-the-field-club-expansion/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also posted on the WoSFL New Clubs thread.:

Just speculation and we'll all have a better idea about which club it may be but here's a link to the Campbeltown Former Pupils FC web site. It shows that they play at Limecraigs Road, Campbeltown, which is an enclosed ground with a railed pitch, changing facilities and car parking. Looks improvable without too many problems except cost(?). Looks like a decent set up.

Campbeltown Pupils AFC | About Us (amateurfootballclub.co.uk)

"The club at present plays in the SAFL Premier 1st Division. On the youth front, after a successful period in the Dumbartonshire Development League with our under 16s (2003s)team, the club's under-14s team (2005s) now plays its football as members of the Glasgow and District Youth Football League. A number of youngsters graduated to the Dumbarton FC Development Team, with Donald McCallum making the breakthrough by playing senior with Dumbarton FC in the SFL Championship. All of this augers well, but we still have a lot of work in front of us to achieve our ultimate aspirations. So far, Campbeltown Community Football Club and its membership - with our own club as top of the pyramid pathway - have achieved the SFA Quality Mark Standard Award (Bronze) in 2013, the Development Award (Silver) in 2015, and is one of only seven clubs in the West of Scotland to achieve the Community Club Award - (Gold). 'We are of one mind, one effort - one Campbeltown!' "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Also posted on the WoSFL New Clubs thread.:

Just speculation and we'll all have a better idea about which club it may be but here's a link to the Campbeltown Former Pupils FC web site. It shows that they play at Limecraigs Road, Campbeltown, which is an enclosed ground with a railed pitch, changing facilities and car parking. Looks improvable without too many problems except cost(?). Looks like a decent set up.

Campbeltown Pupils AFC | About Us (amateurfootballclub.co.uk)

"The club at present plays in the SAFL Premier 1st Division. On the youth front, after a successful period in the Dumbartonshire Development League with our under 16s (2003s)team, the club's under-14s team (2005s) now plays its football as members of the Glasgow and District Youth Football League. A number of youngsters graduated to the Dumbarton FC Development Team, with Donald McCallum making the breakthrough by playing senior with Dumbarton FC in the SFL Championship. All of this augers well, but we still have a lot of work in front of us to achieve our ultimate aspirations. So far, Campbeltown Community Football Club and its membership - with our own club as top of the pyramid pathway - have achieved the SFA Quality Mark Standard Award (Bronze) in 2013, the Development Award (Silver) in 2015, and is one of only seven clubs in the West of Scotland to achieve the Community Club Award - (Gold). 'We are of one mind, one effort - one Campbeltown!' "

Campbeltown you say? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There must be many  clubs which could move up to the seniors in the future. I have dug out a few which have been mentioned in the last year or so as maybe considering the WoS. Mostly speculation.

Baillieston Thistle,   Campbeltown Former Pupils,   Colville Park,   Drumchapel Amateurs,   East Kilbride United,   East Kilbride YM,   Easterhouse Football Academy,    Giffnock SC,   Goldenhill,     Hillwood YC,   Oban Saints,   Pollok United,   Strathaven Dynamo,   Strathclyde University  and   Third Lanark.

Then there's any club in Argyll and Bute that you care to mention!

Shortlees, Harestanes, etc also mentioned due to their Amateur Cup success.

Edited by Dev
.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem wirh half of those teams is there is already a team in close proximity with them in the league already drumchapel pym took the step up... ek thistle are there giffnock now have st cadocs to compete with ... colville  couldnt manage a full season in the central and third lanark have the history but again arent really competing .  What would then happen to amatuer football if every half decent team looked to take the step up...... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Kickbaw said:

The problem wirh half of those teams is there is already a team in close proximity with them in the league already drumchapel pym took the step up... ek thistle are there giffnock now have st cadocs to compete with ... colville  couldnt manage a full season in the central and third lanark have the history but again arent really competing .  What would then happen to amatuer football if every half decent team looked to take the step up...... 

Agreed.  Any thoughts about what should happen?

Should the senior leagues be limited to a set number of clubs each, depending on the area covered, or should it be open to any club that meets the criteria for joining any of the soon to be six senior leagues feeding the Highland and Lowland leagues?

Should there be something like direct promotion and relegation to some of the best amateur leagues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed.  Any thoughts about what should happen?
Should the senior leagues be limited to a set number of clubs each, depending on the area covered, or should it be open to any club that meets the criteria for joining any of the soon to be six senior leagues feeding the Highland and Lowland leagues?
Should there be something like direct promotion and relegation to some of the best amateur leagues?


You mean like a proper pyramid right to the bottom ?. Only problem with some ammie teams stepping up as you say would be they will have do declare the wages they are paying to boys. Not be many ammie teams have suitable facilities either for it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Gazzah said:

 


You mean like a proper pyramid right to the bottom ?. Only problem with some ammie teams stepping up as you say would be they will have do declare the wages they are paying to boys. Not be many ammie teams have suitable facilities either for it.

 

I doubt that it would be going any further down than a few feeder leagues and their top divisions. no idea about wages etc!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just to confirm EKYM wont be applying for the WoSL. We are in our Centenary Year as an amateur Club and dont want to change that in any way. We see our future clearly in the Caledonian AFL and Greater Glasgow Premier AFL. We are an ambitious Club and will do everything to continue to improve the facilities at Kirktonholme as well as on the playing side. The very best of luck to anyone who decides to make the move but it's just not for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EKYM said:

Just to confirm EKYM wont be applying for the WoSL. We are in our Centenary Year as an amateur Club and dont want to change that in any way. We see our future clearly in the Caledonian AFL and Greater Glasgow Premier AFL. We are an ambitious Club and will do everything to continue to improve the facilities at Kirktonholme as well as on the playing side. The very best of luck to anyone who decides to make the move but it's just not for us.
 

Do you see any merit in the WoS forming promotion/relegation arrangements with the better Amateur Leagues in their area? Which are the best leagues in your opinion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you see any merit in the WoS forming promotion/relegation arrangements with the better Amateur Leagues in their area? Which are the best leagues in your opinion?

I personally don't see any merit as Clubs wanting to move in to the 'professional' pyramid can just apply. Now if you asked the question about an amateur pyramid set up, that's a different question. Regarding best leagues it might be worth waiting to see what Clubs move to the WoSL and how Covid has impacted on Clubs. Think you would have a better idea after a season or two.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EKYM said:


I personally don't see any merit as Clubs wanting to move in to the 'professional' pyramid can just apply. Now if you asked the question about an amateur pyramid set up, that's a different question. Regarding best leagues it might be worth waiting to see what Clubs move to the WoSL and how Covid has impacted on Clubs. Think you would have a better idea after a season or two.

Interesting. What would an amateur pyramid look like and who would initiate it? Could it be a flagship project for the Scottish Amateur FA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...