The All-New Polis Discussion Thread

Straw Poll  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I feel like it's time to split off from the dumpster fire that is the Sarah Everard thread.

So, the polis, eh? Bunch of c***s, no?

Even those pesky Union Bears have turned against Scotland's 'finest'. Is there any way back for them now?

Let's have a lovely and healthy and not at all libellous discussion about the role of police in your experience.

Edited by HibsFan

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Here to uphold the law.
Usually get it right. Occasionally f**k up big time.
Mix of good people and some c***s.
Overall better than complete anarchy.
Is there anything else left to discuss?....

Have you seen the news lately? There seems to be quite a lot to discuss 

I know 1 good polis (retired), my Mum & Dad used to live next door to another, who was sound.

Interactions with them, primarily due to traffic stops, about a 30/70 ratio between gid c***s and just c***s. 

I've only ever blocked two people on Facebook. A cop I knew from my pipe band days and his daughter. Both pleasant enough in person but utter nazis online.

Guest TheJTS98

I know a few. One of them is a really good guy, but the others are all precisely the type of people who should not be in the police.

One of them memorably whipped out his badge and threatened to arrest somebody at a barbecue for double parking him. Absolute sake. Fortunately in this situation he was surrounded by people like me who have known him since he was a really young kid. He's our mate's wee brother. He was laughed out the room and ended up pretending he'd been joking all along. This arseholish behaviour is entirely on-brand for this boy. The thought of him dealing with the public in a position of authority is horrifying.

I also know a current and an ex-defence lawyer. Both of whom have a list of horror stories of police lying under oath, fabricating evidence, intimidating suspects' families etc.

Not sure what the solution is. It's a job that will always attract bell-ends, and in certain situation that might even be useful. So, probably dicks, but I'm not sure what we can really do about it.

Edited by TheJTS98

In the 6 years from 2012 to 2017 the police in England & Wales faced nearly 1,500 allegations of sexual assault. Of these, 371 were upheld and 197 officers were sacked or resigned. 

That's one allegation a week upheld, and these are only they ones that have enough evidence to persuade the police services themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/18/figures-reveal-true-extent-of-police-misconduct-foi 

For year undercover police officers had sexual relationships with environmental campaigners in order to spy on them. Some had children with them. This was done with the approval of senior officers. Obviously once their "job" was done they pissed off back to their previous lives.

This is state-sanctioned rape and they've still done nothing to rectify these crimes, with many of the officers and senior officers still in post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47240670 

Ok, this one and then just one more - the guy who Scottish rank-and-file polis elect to represent them has a long history of being an absolute sh*t. Couple of recent examples - joking on Twitter about the death of Sheku Bayoh, who died in Kirkcaldy at the hands of the police: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/police-union-boss-misconduct-probe-21352060 and the image below, liking tweets from transphobes including ones with the far right QAnon hashtag "I am the storm". I'm sure I could remind myself of tons more examples of the kind of person her is with a bit of googling.

EwZMRcEWYAAQ6Za.png

"Damning report finds bigotry and misogyny in Police Scotland": https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18863352.damning-report-finds-bigotry-misogyny-police-scotland/

Absolutely no surprises in that at all.

And yeah, like everyone else here I've known a few cops, only one of which wasn't a weapons-grade arsehole (and he tragically drowned in a white-water rafting accident at Bridge of Orchy). A cop that was married to a friend of my mother beat his wife for about ten years. Another was my pal's dad, an officer in CID in Glasgow, he ran a huge pirate video empire through criminals he controlled in the Barras. My pal suspected he had something to do with the private taxi business too. 

The point of the "few rotten apples" metaphor is that, if you don't deal with them, they ruin the barrel. This particular barrel was ruined a long time ago. The good folk in the police keep their heads down or they leave. Meanwhile, even the people whose job it is to scrutinise the police gag whistleblowers to prevent them raising allegations of criminality. https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16030992.police-oversight-body-criticised-gagging-whistleblower/ 

Those who have faith in the police must lead pretty sheltered lives.

"Damning report finds bigotry and misogyny in Police Scotland": https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18863352.damning-report-finds-bigotry-misogyny-police-scotland/
And yeah, like everyone else here I've known a few cops, only one of which wasn't a weapons-grade arsehole (and he tragically drowned in a white-water rafting accident at Bridge of Orchy). A cop that was married to a friend of my mother beat his wife for about ten years. Another was my pal's dad, an officer in CID in Glasgow, he ran a huge pirate video empire through criminals he controlled in the Barras. My pal suspected he had something to do with the private taxi business too. 
The point of the "few rotten apples" metaphor is that, if you don't deal with them, they ruin the barrel. This particular barrel was ruined a long time ago. The good folk in the police keep their heads down or they leave. Meanwhile, even the people whose job it is to scrutinise the police gag whistleblowers to prevent them raising allegations of criminality. https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16030992.police-oversight-body-criticised-gagging-whistleblower/ 
It doesn't help that the "few rotten apples" are at the top off the tree, these people think they're untouchable and that's because for the most part they are.

The 2 police officers I know best were really nice guys but they were a CC and CS before they left so I would assume they had to get along with other folk, they also had the same wives from before they joined the police which is unusual.

I know one guy who was completely raging all the time, no surprise he took early retirement. Another woman I worked with took early retirement after she joined the police basically to look after folk and help them cross the street and comfort people but she left when it became Police Scotland but had some interesting stories about Policing in Methill.

The 2 young people I know that left school to join the cops, I can't imagine them being best suited to the job.

There is certainly a type of person who joins the police and has all the negative traits you wouldn't want anywhere near law enforcement and would be more suited to being a bouncer

Used to go out with an ex-WPC for a couple of years. Batshit mental but a cracking ride. A chapter in my life I’ll never forget but certainly glad it’s over and definitely won’t be going back. 

Edited by alta-pete

Unfortunately, their job involves dealing with the utter dregs of society almost every day. That can't be healthy for your mental well-being and it's no wonder some of them lose perspective. That's not an excuse and it's not me trying to excuse any of them. Society has a fair number of utter c***s running about and it's no surprise that some of them are cops.

41 minutes ago, Empty It said:
3 hours ago, GordonS said:

It doesn't help that the "few rotten apples" are at the top off the tree, these people think they're untouchable and that's because for the most part they are.

That's generally the case in life. The worst fuckers always rise to the top due to their ruthlessness and not giving a f**k whose heads they are willing to trample on to get there. Any people who are genuinely good eggs who might find their way to those levels get eaten alive. 

Even in private business, you very rarely get a director or senior manager who isn't a horrible b*****d. So it's no surprise that those at the top of the tree in organisations like the Police lack compassion or empathy given all the shit they've no doubt slung at others to advance their own cause.