Scotland v Austria

2 hours ago, Zazu said:

Was just about to post saying that. 

The system in recent games has relied on McTominay being able to effectively progress the ball from deep on our right hand side. No way is Gallagher technically good enough to play this role for us. If Gallagher plays in the back 3 it has to be in the middle. Think that's why Hendry is in the squad, as he will be able to do that if McTominay goes into midfield for any of the games. 

Apparently Hendry's good form in Belgium is in the middle of a back 3 so I suspect if he's to start it'll be there instead of Gallagher rather than both of them starting with him on the right of the 3.

10 hours ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Everyone picking Gallagher. I feel that starting Gallagher when he's barely kicked a ball since Christmas would be madness. Even more so if the rumours about refusing to play for Motherwell  are true. 

I reckon Hanley is nailed on to start regardless. 

The rumours are untrue...however there is no way I'd start him in this game due to his inactivity 

My Team:

Marshall, O'Donnell, Mctominay, Mckenna, Tierney, Robertson, Mcgregor, Mclean, Mcginn, Armstrong, Adams

Mcgregor can count himself lucky and were jack to be fit he would play instead. We are sorely missing a holding midfielder without Jack but don't think Mctominay can come out of the defence with the utter dross we have back there. 

I get the fear they might leave Alaba wide left and really target the O'Donnell/Mctominay combination. I can't say I know enough about a lot of the austrian team to say how that would disrupt them etc or whether they'd be better off playing him centre mid but if I were an opposing team I'd attack our right hand side all game long. 

Edited by ScottishZizou
too many players!

24 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

My Team:

Marshall, O'Donnell, Mctominay, Mckenna, Tierney, Robertson, Mcgregor, Mclean, Mcginn, Armstrong, Adams

Mcgregor can count himself lucky and were jack to be fit he would play instead. We are sorely missing a holding midfielder without Jack but don't think Mctominay can come out of the defence with the utter dross we have back there. 

I get the fear they might leave Alaba wide left and really target the O'Donnell/Mctominay combination. I can't say I know enough about a lot of the austrian team to say how that would disrupt them etc or whether they'd be better off playing him centre mid but if I were an opposing team I'd attack our right hand side all game long. 

Totally agree. RWB is the only position we're still a bit substandard, everywhere else we're pretty strong now with at least a couple of good options for every position.

I wouldn't describe our CB options as dross though, we have a pile all of similar quality all top 6 Championship standard which is decent. None outstanding but loads half decent.

At RWB we are waiting on Patterson and Ashby coming through but they're both a year or two away yet.

47 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I think the Austrians can rejig their side to put him where they think suits their team best. Alaba played left midfield in the previous two nations league matches where he replaced the injured Baumgartner who is back in the squad for tonights match and has been playing regularly for Hoffenheim. I think Alaba could play LB as it's an important position for the Austrians and Ulmer's pretty rotten or he might replace the injured Austrian captain Baumgartlinger and run the game from central midfield.

Austria have also lost two of their left sided centre halfs for tonights game (Hinteregger and Posch) and so he might be required to plug the gaps there. I think they would be more likely to drop Ilsanker into defence so Alaba can be used in a position where he can most hurt us. I guess it just depends how aggressively they want to approach the game.  

Another thing to say is the Austrian media didn't see the Alaba experiment in left midfield as being very successful.  Can't wait to see the starting line ups.

Edited by 2426255

I may be in the minority but I've never really "got" Kenny McLean. Nice enough passer of the ball but not mobile enough or good in the tackle for me to earn a starting slot. He'd be the first to drop out of the squad for me once Gilmour gets a few more games under his belt. I'd rather Grant Hanley was put in at RCB and McTominay moved in next to McGregor for these games, but long term I'd like to see McTominay with Jack and McGinn in midfield. Three absolute units there who are all really good on the ball too. 

How nice is it to look forward to these games with positivity? Usually by this point in the day it's full on dread for me, but I don't tend to feel that way with us under Clarke now. 

Hendry and Hanley will start I think and with Mcsauce moving to midfield, I wouldn't think Clarke wouldn't want to change too much in the one go, so Adams to take a place on the bench. Christie partnering Dykes upfront... are my predictions.

Edited by Londonwell

Marshall

McTominay-McKenna/Hanley-Tierney

Palmer-McGinn-McGregor-Robertson

Armstrong

any 2 of Adams Dykes Fraser up top. 

Is what I'd personally like to see.

Think Clarke will stick with O'donnel and potentially not play Armstrong. 

Totally agree. RWB is the only position we're still a bit substandard, everywhere else we're pretty strong now with at least a couple of good options for every position.
I wouldn't describe our CB options as dross though, we have a pile all of similar quality all top 6 Championship standard which is decent. None outstanding but loads half decent.
At RWB we are waiting on Patterson and Ashby coming through but they're both a year or two away yet.
I got Liam Palmer in my Panini Euro sticker pack today.. He's going to have a belter!!!
Edit: If he plays and if he was actually good..

I'd guess that if McGinn and Armstrong both play it'd be with Armstrong in the role Fraser & Christie have played, up with Dykes or Adams. I think he'd replace Jack by bringing McLean or Fleck in - or move McTominay into midfield - before either having McGinn sit beside McGregor or have only McGregor sitting.