Frank Grimes

Scotland v Austria

23 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Hendry’s distribution is also average compared with mctominay so we kept losing possession and inviting pressure onto ourselves. I know gilmour is young and hardly playing but leaning towards just bringing him in to allow mctominay to drop back to defence

Did Hendry give the ball away at all? Don’t think so. Hendry should have reacted quicker for the first goal but the second goal was not his fault - there was no pressure put on the ball to stop the cross. 

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

He is, there's plenty of evidence out there.

Did you miss O'Donnell's assist tonight? And Alaba having a generally uncomfortable game against him?

O'Donnell's been first pick under Steve Clarke for both club and country since October 2017 for a reason - one that has escaped a fair few folks on here and beyond ever since.

I agree some managers and players just “click” and I reckon this is one of those partnerships 

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

He is, there's plenty of evidence out there.

Did you miss O'Donnell's assist tonight? And Alaba having a generally uncomfortable game against him?

O'Donnell's been first pick under Steve Clarke for both club and country since October 2017 for a reason - one that has escaped a fair few folks on here and beyond ever since.

O'Donnell's assist was a goalkeeping error. 99 times out of 100, the keeper makes the right decision and takes that ball.

Don't really understand people saying he got any change out of Alaba either. I can't think of many offensive contributions O'Donnell made during the course of the match. Alaba was so unconcerned about him that there were times he'd leave him in about 30 yards of space and tuck into midfield, and O'Donnell would still f**k it up somehow.

Austria built their gameplan around defending our left hand side. They knew as well as we do that our right backs are awful. It's simply time to find out if Palmer can be less awful than O'Donnell. Demonstrating an ability to pass and cross the ball occasionally would be enough.

Weird that Sabitzer didn’t come on. He’s been superb for RB Leipzig recently.
Believe he was carrying a knock or he would've started, very decent player.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

O'Donnell's assist was a goalkeeping error. 99 times out of 100, the keeper makes the right decision and takes that ball.

Don't really understand people saying he got any change out of Alaba either. I can't think of many offensive contributions O'Donnell made during the course of the match. Alaba was so unconcerned about him that there were times he'd leave him in about 30 yards of space and tuck into midfield, and O'Donnell would still f**k it up somehow.

Austria built their gameplan around defending our left hand side. They knew as well as we do that our right backs are awful. It's simply time to find out if Palmer can be less awful than O'Donnell. Demonstrating an ability to pass and cross the ball occasionally would be enough.

Liam Palmer already has 7 caps for Scotland - all gained in the last two years and all at right back.

There's a reason why he has not been chosen ahead of Stephen O'Donnell in the past year.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Liam Palmer has 7 caps for Scotland - all gained in the last two years and all at right back.

There's a reason why he is not chosen ahead of Stephen O'Donnell.

Would not respond to the G Wagon.

Clearly on a fishing trip and trying far too hard. Sad really....

A little bit disappointed. Only because I thought that Austria looked like nothing special and probably the weakest second seed we have had since we started never being in the top two seeds. So only drawing to them at home seems a bit of a lost opportunity.

Still, there was plenty of character there and we looked more likely to win than lose at the end, so can't complain too much.

Basically, if we beat Israel, this was a good result. If we f**k it up against them again, it wasn't.

13 minutes ago, G51 said:

Alaba decided after about 70 minutes he was getting nothing down our right, so switched inside, and their attacks began concentrating on our left.   Not to mention their second goal.  

Edited by Antiochas III

Rght back is a poor area for Scotland and you could see Austria were trying to work down that side. To me O'Donnell isn't a world beater but he isn't a bombscare. Handley was a bombscare but played his get out of jail card and gets a pass for that.

15 minutes ago, G51 said:

Pretty sure O'Donnell has more assists for Scotland under Clarke than Robertson does tbh. 

Ragging on him tonight is extremely harsh, he was his usual solid, out his depth but not making any terrible errors, performance. Tbh, he's a better player than his ugly and clumsy gait on the ball makes him look. 

Edited by Baptiste Bourgeois

Hendry could have reacted better for the first. Can’t blame him for the second. We gave them far too much space and time to pick out pretty much their only threat and, no matter how close Hendry gets, the striker is getting his head to that all day.

Can’t be dissapointed with getting a result after being behind twice, but I feel they were there for the taking. We did have some decent enough chances. Stuart Armstrong was unlucky from a tight angle and Ryan Christie has really got to score that chance that was gifted to us. Referee was out his skull as well as we also should have had a nailed-on penalty.

Maximum points needed from Israel and the Faroes otherwise it’s a poor start. Israel away makes me sick to my bones.

31 minutes ago, The Derry said:

O'Donnell was okay but he absolutely needs to learn to cross.  

Wait till you see our other full back...  

Hendry was pretty good. Classy on the ball, couple of good interceptions. Nothing he could do about either goal. People saying he set up a chance for them in the first minute are talking out of their arse. He made a great tackle to cover for somebody else's mistake, there's no more he could have done, that was good defending.

They both came from a lack of pressure on the ball 25/30 yards from goal, one from McGinn one from McGregor. The second one Hendry is tight and goalside like he's supposed to be. The cross is behind the guy, who is 6 foot 7 btw, and he produces as good a header as you'll ever see. Anyone wanting to criticise Hendry for that is having a laugh.

Hendry has done his chances no harm and offers a good solution for us at RCB. He will get more caps. 

O'Donnell doesn't have it on the ball, but we don't have much else just now.

Hanley was fine, soild option and again we don't have much else markedly better.

Armstrong and Christie very disappointing. Couldn't get hold of the ball or affect the game.

Overall satisfactory enough but would have preferred to see an attitude of throw the kitchen sink at them the last ten minutes. We're trying to qualify for a WC and they were there for the taking, a bit more ambition rather than seeing it out.

Tierney was so good at tonight that as the game wore on Robertson was almost dropping into a supporting role for him. So I thought I'd give myself a laugh by getting a reminder of what folk here said about him on the Tierney thread.

On 10/05/2018 at 19:25, Bairnardo said:

Poor mans Andy Robertson IMO (In My Opinion)

On 11/05/2018 at 00:10, Cerberus said:

The best Tierney could hope for is move to a shitey, non-entity EPL club like Brighton or Watford.

On 11/05/2018 at 08:18, RR #1 said:

Don't get all this hype over Tierney. The best he comes against in the domestic game is  shite like  Gary McKay-Steven or Daniel Candeias and every time Celtic play someone decent in Europe they get embarrassed. Saying things like he will play for a bigger club than Liverpool is just ridiculous. 

On 15/04/2019 at 13:01, DAFC. said:

He's quite comfortably the most overrated player in world football. 

On 19/05/2019 at 22:06, Enigma said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png good one!

On 20/05/2019 at 11:21, Cyril said:

I think Tierney would probably hold a place down at a Leicester, West Ham, Wolves. There is nothing to suggest that he would could play for a top 6 side.

On 28/05/2019 at 07:01, Smokerson said:

He’s vastly over rated, pulls out of most squads (injured or not) and we have one of the best left backs in Europe anyway. Time to move on from Tierney

On 23/06/2019 at 10:01, Guest DAVIDB69 said:

Yes the comments on the bbc thread are hilarious , saying he is a good as Robertson etc.

On 15/07/2019 at 20:13, velo army said:

Given his current injury (with no guarantee it'll clear up completely) and the fact that Robbo is in front of him, his 25th cap may not be for a few years. It's a contemptuous idea that only a diddy club would agree to. 

(17th cap tonight).

On 08/08/2019 at 22:02, LinkinFighter said:

Looking forward to seeing him in the first division...

Edited by GordonS

Throwing my tuppence into the O’Donnell conversation. 
He didn’t do anything wrong tonight and doesn’t let us down very often. 
However, there was times tonight it looked like everyone else was using a football and O’Donnell was playing with a live grenade.

The presence of guys like him (and Gallacher/Hanley/McKenna/Considine) forces our hand and means we have to play in a reactive rather than proactive manner as we can’t try keep the ball effectively with players that poor on the ball. Which I don’t actually think is that bad a thing in international set ups where half the battle is being hard to beat and limiting mistakes rather than having clear identified styles with the ball due to limited time (see Northern Ireland success). 

Pretty shocked Tierney only has 17 caps given he debuted 5 years ago. Feels like he's bee ever-present other than a fairly brief spell of injuries and unnecessary call offs.

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Tierney was so good at tonight that as the game wore on Robertson was almost dropping into a supporting role for him. So I thought I'd give myself a laugh by getting a reminder of what folk here said about him on the Tierney thread.

(17th cap tonight).

Tierney was magnificent. What a player he is, still only 23 too. 

Pretty shocked Tierney only has 17 caps given he debuted 5 years ago. Feels like he's bee ever-present other than a fairly brief spell of injuries and unnecessary call offs.
Was it not more like nearly 2 years between caps at one point?

P.S. he was fucking class tonight alongside McTominay

Obviously there's night and day between them as players in general, but I don't think O'Donnell has played any worse than Andy Robertson in their respective positions for the national side.