Scotland v Austria

5 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I think Lewis Ferguson probably isn't a million miles away from a call-up if we're short in that position.

Also think his time at Aberdeen shouldn't last much longer, if he wants to become a good player he needs to get to a good league. Maybe Rangers are interested in that case fine, if not he needs a move end of next season at the latest. 

Don't Rangers and Aberdeen play in the same league? 

While he's not the best player in it, Jack is probably the worst player to lose in the midfield. We have no one who can do that holding job to the same level; obviously if we move McTominay into midfield then we've put a better player than Jack in there, but we'd then have the sitting two performing a different role with more emphasis on going box to box and less on protecting the defence. Maybe that'd end up working anyway, but take anyone else out and we can still play the same way with personnel on the same level to take their place. Then there's McLean and Fleck who just aren't as good.

I didn't see the interview myself but going by what was being said on social media at the time I think Clarke told Sky Sports after announcing the squad that Mctominay would likely be used in midfield if Jack was still injured. If so it may be another defender getting called up rather than a midfielder?
I got that impression too. f**k knows who he'd draft in at CB though, and the thought of starting Hendry against Austria (and Israel tbf) makes me nervous to say the least.

I'd obviously love Gilmour to get called up but can't see it happening.

34 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I got that impression too. f**k knows who he'd draft in at CB though, and the thought of starting Hendry against Austria (and Israel tbf) makes me nervous to say the least.

I'd obviously love Gilmour to get called up but can't see it 

Assuming he'd want another right sided CB probably Porteous or McCrorie as he's called them up before and neither would likely be involved in the first two games at least.

12 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I’d definitely had Turnbull in ahead of Jack, whose knees are made of chocolate. And not those lovely caramel-filled egg chocolates, I’m talking they easter eggs that look massive but are hollow as f**k inside.

They don't even play the same position. Jack having the odd knee problem here and there didn't prevent him from playing 40+ games in the last two seasons, and probably another 40 or so this year.

10 hours ago, AberdeenBud said:

If Jack is looking doubtful for the Euros, which seems likely, I think we get Gilmour in ASAP.

I'm not sure why he'd be doubtful for the Euros - the tournament is three months away and he was clearly close enough to fitness for him to be worth including in this squad.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Don't Rangers and Aberdeen play in the same league? 

Yeah but at Rangers he'd be training with better players and exposed to a decent amount of good level European football. Its a slight improvement that would help him get better.

Though ideally a move to a better league would be best for him.

2 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Yeah but at Rangers he'd be training with better players and exposed to a decent amount of good level European football. Its a slight improvement that would help him get better.

Though ideally a move to a better league would be best for him.

Agreed. The European experience at Rangers is great, but if he could get a top division club in one of the big leagues he would be better there.

7 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

While he's not the best player in it, Jack is probably the worst player to lose in the midfield. We have no one who can do that holding job to the same level; obviously if we move McTominay into midfield then we've put a better player than Jack in there, but we'd then have the sitting two performing a different role with more emphasis on going box to box and less on protecting the defence. Maybe that'd end up working anyway, but take anyone else out and we can still play the same way with personnel on the same level to take their place. Then there's McLean and Fleck who just aren't as good.

Get what you're saying, but in the last few games Jack was a bit further forward up the pitch than McGregor a lot of the time. For all he was still playing quite a defensive role, he was pressing quite high when we didn't have the ball and pushing forward at times to support O'donnel when we were in possession. 

If we put McGinn or McTominay in there next to McGregor to play that role I don't think the team loses too much defensive stability. And it also provides us with more technical ability in midfield. 

Any ideas on the best way to watch this?

I usually buy a weekly Sports pass for Now TV from CD Keys or elsewhere online, but can't find any this time.

Now TV's prices can get fucked (£9.99 for a day pass or £33 for a month pass).

6 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Almost what I'd have.
I'd go with Hanley at RCB - bit more of a finished article than Hendry. Also maybe McKenna for Gallagher.

I think he'll chuck Hendry straight in and think he was called up with that in mind to move McTominay into midfield. Hendry is pretty quick for a CB and can play, so a good fit.

Though maybe against Austria he'll think we have more defending to do and will sit in a bit more, so that would suit Hanley with McKenna or Gallagher in the middle.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I usually buy a weekly Sports pass for Now TV from CD Keys or elsewhere online, but can't find any this time.

Probably hesgoal if you can handle foreign commentary.  

Releaseaky.com has always been reliable for me.

If you've got a VPN you could try the Austrian broadcasters website. Seems to work just now with an Austrian VPN but not guaranteed for Thursday. Livestream 1 I think.

https://tvthek.orf.at/