Scotland v Austria

10 hours ago, qos_75 said:

I don’t think four draws against them will be good enough.

To qualify I would say that we need to beat them both at least once. 

Two draws and two wins against them, so long as we take maximum points off of the rest. 

If we get four draws against Denmark and Austria and take 18 points from the other three teams then the only way we wouldn't finish at least second would be if Denmark and Austria also both won every other game and shared the points with each other, and both had a better goal difference than us.

Edited by craigkillie

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If we get four draws against Denmark and Austria and take 18 points from the other three teams then the only way we wouldn't finish at least second would be if Denmark and Austria also both won every other game and drew with each other twice, and both had a better goal difference than us.

If Denmark and Austria both won every other game, drew both games against us, and then each won one of their games against each other, they'd each have 23 points to our 22.

17 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Putting the notorious penalty incident to one side, there wasnt much between the two teams. Austria had a tremendous work rate and their second goal was a fantastic header.  I expect Israel away to be a similar match up.  We can win in Israel but then again we might have won last night.  These teams really do define our true level. 

The teams ranked 23rd & 87th define our true level?

That's a hell of a big area.

Israel really aren't a good side btw. They just defend well and we don't have the ability to break them down.

10 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Aye, but I think that's a bit hard on Marshall too. Decently hit shot bounces right in front of him on a slippy pitch. Ideally you'd want him to palm it out to the side but for me the problem is no pressure on the ball.

The Austrian guy had the time to take a touch, get his head up, get it out of his feet and get set then hit it. 

That's what you can't be doing at that level of the game, there has to be pressure on the ball immediately. I think it was McGinn that was closest.

The second goal same thing McGregor this time. I think he thought it was going inside to Alaba but you have to deal with the immediate threat so he should have sprinted the five yards straight at the boy to put pressure on him and deny him time. Again he had the time to get his head up and pick his cross after taking a touch.

McGregor was at fault for a similar goal recently can't remember who against but he went to sleep on the edge of the box no pressure didn't close the gap and cost us a goal.

Israel   3 - 2     ?

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Israel really aren't a good side btw. They just defend well and we don't have the ability to break them down.

There is a level where rankings dont have that much difference. We are somewhere in there, I think anyway.

As for 'we don't have the ability to break them down...'.  ....see that thing about ranking numbers?

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

10 minutes ago, ewan14 said:

Israel   3 - 2     ?

Aye that was the one, somebody else pointed it out after.  A definite issue with him playing there, he just isn't a natural defensive player doesn't sniff danger and shut it down quick enough. Good on the ball but off the ball not the level required.

21 minutes ago, Myles Offside said:

If Denmark and Austria both won every other game, drew both games against us, and then each won one of their games against each other, they'd each have 23 points to our 22.

Sorry, meant to say "shared the points with each other".

19 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Right.  I can just about accept the argument that Austria are alright, but claiming Israel to be a decent side is simply masking the fact that some of our worst performances under Clarke’s have been against them.   Scotland has better players in most positions than Israel.  That shouldn’t be up for debate.

3 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I honestly don’t think anyone was really awful for us last night. Most players will make a few mistakes, but also had moments where they did a lot of things well. I hope he can keep McTominay in midfield and as I think he sees Hendry as the natural fit there, how he progresses as well.

I’m not sure that I can remember a Scotland side with so many genuinely good players in it. It’s a strange balance when you have Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U players alongside Motherwell's finest but it’s working so far. 

Is it?

A point was reasonable and good character to come from behind twice.

However I've a horrible feeling that at the end of the campaign we'll look back on last night and think "what if".

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

However I've a horrible feeling that at the end of the campaign we'll look back on last night and think "what if".

I don't think we can legitimately have that feeling. We've been behind in a tricky match up twice, and come away with a point. Lost no ground.

Take Denmark and Austria out of the equation and there are 18 points to play for. If there is to be a "what if?" moment, then it will undoubtably come in those games. And we all know it is coming on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Reality check for us last night. We were pretty lucky to get a point at home against a very ordinary side.

Ranked 23 in the world, as all ordinary sides are.

We could easily have won the game, were denied a stonewall penalty, missed a couple of good chances and gave away two preventable goals.

As someone on here said the real missed opportunity were the two games after qualifying. We should have taken them far more seriously, they were massive games for us. Can't help feeling the players maybe over-celebrated a bit and paid the price. Would have made this campaign almost a free hit. Ach well.

I said to someone before the game that in isolation, that's a fairly decent result against a strong Austrian team. Sadly it makes qualification a lot more difficult now. We MADE Austria look ordinary with our constant high press game, something we need to take forward now.

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I honestly don’t think anyone was really awful for us last night. Most players will make a few mistakes, but also had moments where they did a lot of things well. I hope he can keep McTominay in midfield and as I think he sees Hendry as the natural fit there, how he progresses as well.

I’m not sure that I can remember a Scotland side with so many genuinely good players in it. It’s a strange balance when you have Liverpool, Arsenal and Man U players alongside Motherwell's finest but it’s working so far. 

I still see SOD’s international career as a Kilmarnock thing.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

A point was reasonable and good character to come from behind twice.

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Ranked 23 in the world, as all ordinary sides are.

We could easily have won the game, were denied a stonewall penalty, missed a couple of good chances and gave away two preventable goals.

As someone on here said the real missed opportunity were the two games after qualifying. We should have taken them far more seriously, they were massive games for us. Can't help feeling the players maybe over-celebrated a bit and paid the price. Would have made this campaign almost a free hit. Ach well.

Play-offs for the World Cup are not going to be a bun fight with another couple of diddy teams, as the Euro Play-offs were.

There are going to be ten group runners-up, plus a pair of Nations League group winners scrapping for just 4 places.

Qualifying by winning this group is going to be a far easier option than attempting to negotiate the play-offs by finishing second.

13 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

First goal has to be on Marshall. Keeper at that level can't be pushing a fairly tame shot back into the 6 yard box. Needed to be pushed away from goal. There's also a ridiculous amount of space for the midfielder to just take a pot shot. The advancing forward comes past O'Donnell who just ignores him and Hendry desperately tries to chase back. He plays a part in the goal being conceded but he's not even in the first 3 names I'd have said were 'at fault' for it.

O’Donnell was closing down the boy behind the ref but Hendry called him back and passed on his man. McGregor now has two players to face up to and O’Donnell let’s his man run in on goal.

You need to react to each new phase but if Hendry hadn’t altered the set up this could have been defended better.