Scotland v Austria

Aye, but I think that's a bit hard on Marshall too. Decently hit shot bounces right in front of him on a slippy pitch. Ideally you'd want him to palm it out to the side but for me the problem is no pressure on the ball.
The Austrian guy had the time to take a touch, get his head up, get it out of his feet and get set then hit it. 
That's what you can't be doing at that level of the game, there has to be pressure on the ball immediately. I think it was McGinn that was closest.
The second goal same thing McGregor this time. I think he thought it was going inside to Alaba but you have to deal with the immediate threat so he should have sprinted the five yards straight at the boy to put pressure on him and deny him time. Again he had the time to get his head up and pick his cross after taking a touch.
McGregor was at fault for a similar goal recently can't remember who against but he went to sleep on the edge of the box no pressure didn't close the gap and cost us a goal.

Israel back in the first Nations league 3-2. Backed off on the edge of the box and let Zahavi leather one in

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, while there's probably something of Darren Fletcher effect going on with Robertson in that people expect too much of him because of the club he plays for, it's undeniable that since we've gone to a back three O'Donnell has been as good as Robertson.

Robertson is one of the best left backs in the world and no one is saying O'Donnell is anywhere near his level, but being a wing back with no winger to overlap is a very different thing and he's just not as good at it. Still a great player and no chance he should be dropped, but anyone calling out O'Donnell as a weak link after recent games while talking up Robertson is basing it on reputation.

Completely agree. We need to find a system that plays to one of our few world class players' strengths. We've certainly not done that as of yet.

Just now, GordonS said:

Tierney was so good at tonight that as the game wore on Robertson was almost dropping into a supporting role for him. So I thought I'd give myself a laugh by getting a reminder of what folk here said about him on the Tierney.

Good list, you however missed my favourite. As time goes on it just gets better.

On 06/06/2020 at 16:12, Bishop Briggs said:

Tierney needs to move as he's probably 3rd choice behind Kosalinac and Saka. Arsenal have also been linked strongly with PSG's Kurzawa who is out of contract. That should send a clear message about how Arteta rates him.

Chelsea may not be willing to pay the fee that Leicester will demand for Chilwell, probably over £60 million. Leicester, however, will need another left-back with Fuchs out of contract anyway.

Would Tierney be willing to go to Leicester if Chilwell stays?  Would the Leicester bench be better than sitting in the stands at the Emirates? 

Also a belter

On 14/07/2019 at 22:45, red23 said:

I'm willing to bet either of Monreal or Kolasinac would out perform Tierney in Scotland.

People saying that O'Donnell has been as good as Robbo is a bit much. He's clearly not good enough at international level, but he tries hard and never hides, so I like him, but he is poor on the ball and his crossing is utter shite. Robbo on the other hand is good on the ball and his crossing is miles better. 

I thought Tierney was incredible today, the number of times he took the ball from his own half and made 60 yards or so was fantastic.

People saying that O'Donnell has been as good as Robbo is a bit much. He's clearly not good enough at international level, but he tries hard and never hides, so I like him, but he is poor on the ball and his crossing is utter shite. Robbo on the other hand is good on the ball and his crossing is miles better. 
I thought Tierney was incredible today, the number of times he took the ball from his own half and made 60 yards or so was fantastic.

McTominay too - utter sexy silk. 11 players like him and we'd beat anyone.

Just now, Gordopolis said:
3 minutes ago, velo army said:

McTominay too - utter sexy silk. 11 players like him and we'd beat anyone.

Indeed. Best game he's ever had for us. 

If we want to 'blame' anyone for the second goal, Tierney giving the ball away under no pressure directly led to it.  He had a very good game but was certainly more at fault than Hendry for that.

Also, no sure what people expect from Andy Robertson.  Second half he was outstanding getting up the wing in support and put in a couple of great balls as well as winning the corner for the equaliser.  

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Is anyone saying he was 'great'? Maybe I've skipped past it, but I've not seen anyone say such things. They've defended him because people are trying to hang him out to dry, but unless you mean on social media I must have missed them comments!

No, your right. Nobody has said that

24 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Was it not more like nearly 2 years between caps at one point?

P.S. he was fucking class tonight alongside McTominay

Celtic wrecked him by playing him for the full 90 of something like 60 games a season from the age of 18 or 19. He lost a lot of time with niggly injuries that required surgery and at times focussed on club rather than country. He seems to be more physically robust now and it seems likely he'll hit 25 caps this year.

FWIW, Andy Robertson won his 41st cap tonight, he turned 27 this month. Tierney won't be 24 until the week before the Euros start.

All in all I think we're a young-ish side (almost all of our outfield players are under 30) who are still adjusting to the system and are improving. Still scope to improve further and as quite a few of our players get a bit more international experience we will get a little better.

Some good young players to come in over the next year or two as well.

Winning the group will probably be beyond us but a play-off by finishing 2nd or through the NL isn't completely doable and we would have an outside chance against anyone.

Really hope Clarke stays for a while, he's got us moving in the right direction and quite a lot to work with. I look forward to watching Scotland now, we're not a soft touch anymore and have some decent players within a decent framework that gives us a platform to compete. 

We need to improve in the last third and tighten up individually at the back a bit sometimes but I'll take that for just now. 

1 hour ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Good result. 

Going unbeaten against Austria and Denmark has to be the goal. 

I don’t think four draws against them will be good enough.

To qualify I would say that we need to beat them both at least once. 

Two draws and two wins against them, so long as we take maximum points off of the rest.  

I am of course a bottle of wine down, so this seems a sensible and realistic conclusion at this moment in time.

What could possibly go wrong? 

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I look forward to watching Scotland now, we're not a soft touch anymore and have some decent players within a decent framework that gives us a platform to compete. 

This. We're much harder to beat. There's no way that under McLeish or Strachan we wouldn't have lost that game tonight.

That back line is going to need a lot of work before June though. It's good to have this triple-header, because ordinarily we'd only have friendlies at this time.

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, while there's probably something of Darren Fletcher effect going on with Robertson in that people expect too much of him because of the club he plays for, it's undeniable that since we've gone to a back three O'Donnell has been as good as Robertson.

Robertson is one of the best left backs in the world and no one is saying O'Donnell is anywhere near his level, but being a wing back with no winger to overlap is a very different thing and he's just not as good at it. Still a great player and no chance he should be dropped, but anyone calling out O'Donnell as a weak link after recent games while talking up Robertson is basing it on reputation.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Completely agree. We need to find a system that plays to one of our few world class players' strengths. We've certainly not done that as of yet.

Can’t say I agree with the notion that Robertson’s performances are largely down to the formation we play. We played 4 at the back with wingers for a while and - goal against Cyprus aside - did he ever look anything close to the player he has been at Liverpool?

At Liverpool he’s part of a world class squad. In particular he’s had one of the world’s best centre halves beside him, an equally prolific full back on the other side of the pitch and an attacking trio ahead of them that for a while was maybe the best in the world. He won’t get any of that with us regardless of what system we play.

I’m not trying to downplay his quality here, he’s an excellent player - but he clearly struggles to get to the same level when playing for us. I don’t think we should be ripping up a system that’s worked fairly well for the sake of one player.

4 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Can’t say I agree with the notion that Robertson’s performances are largely down to the formation we play. We played 4 at the back with wingers for a while and - goal against Cyprus aside - did he ever look anything close to the player he has been at Liverpool?

At Liverpool he’s part of a world class squad. In particular he’s had one of the world’s best centre halves beside him, an equally prolific full back on the other side of the pitch and an attacking trio ahead of them that for a while was maybe the best in the world. He won’t get any of that with us regardless of what system we play.

I’m not trying to downplay his quality here, he’s an excellent player - but he clearly struggles to get to the same level when playing for us. I don’t think we should be ripping up a system that’s worked fairly well for the sake of one player.

Are you suggesting McBurnie - Dykes - Burke isn't one of the best front 3's in the world?

Robertson doesn't produce Liverpool performances for Scotland because teams prepare a plan for Scotland that primarily focuses around stopping Robertson playing. When they're preparing a plan for Liverpool, they're focused on Alexander-Arnold and Salah.

Teams can afford to sell out to stop Robertson because we have nothing on the other side.

Robertson doesn't produce Liverpool performances for Scotland because teams prepare a plan for Scotland that primarily focuses around stopping Robertson playing. When they're preparing a plan for Liverpool, they're focused on Alexander-Arnold and Salah.
Teams can afford to sell out to stop Robertson because we have nothing on the other side.
Wtf?

If we want to 'blame' anyone for the second goal, Tierney giving the ball away under no pressure directly led to it.  He had a very good game but was certainly more at fault than Hendry for that.
Also, no sure what people expect from Andy Robertson.  Second half he was outstanding getting up the wing in support and put in a couple of great balls as well as winning the corner for the equaliser.  

Yep Tierney was excellent tonight but he gave the ball away really cheaply in a dangerous area and Austria scored from that error.
Tend to agree that Robertson was very good driving forward 2nd half. Both top players. As others have said McTominay was excellent. Thought McGinn much improved when in the more advanced role.