Scotland v Austria

Hendry was pretty good. Classy on the ball, couple of good interceptions. Nothing he could do about either goal. People saying he set up a chance for them in the first minute are talking out of their arse. He made a great tackle to cover for somebody else's mistake, there's no more he could have done, that was good defending.

They both came from a lack of pressure on the ball 25/30 yards from goal, one from McGinn one from McGregor. The second one Hendry is tight and goalside like he's supposed to be. The cross is behind the guy, who is 6 foot 7 btw, and he produces as good a header as you'll ever see. Anyone wanting to criticise Hendry for that is having a laugh.

Hendry has done his chances no harm and offers a good solution for us at RCB. He will get more caps. 

O'Donnell doesn't have it on the ball, but we don't have much else just now.

Hanley was fine, soild option and again we don't have much else markedly better.

Armstrong and Christie very disappointing. Couldn't get hold of the ball or affect the game.

Overall satisfactory enough but would have preferred to see an attitude of throw the kitchen sink at them the last ten minutes. We're trying to qualify for a WC and they were there for the taking, a bit more ambition rather than seeing it out.

Tierney was so good at tonight that as the game wore on Robertson was almost dropping into a supporting role for him. So I thought I'd give myself a laugh by getting a reminder of what folk here said about him on the Tierney thread.

On 10/05/2018 at 19:25, Bairnardo said:

Poor mans Andy Robertson IMO (In My Opinion)

On 11/05/2018 at 00:10, Cerberus said:

The best Tierney could hope for is move to a shitey, non-entity EPL club like Brighton or Watford.

On 11/05/2018 at 08:18, RR #1 said:

Don't get all this hype over Tierney. The best he comes against in the domestic game is  shite like  Gary McKay-Steven or Daniel Candeias and every time Celtic play someone decent in Europe they get embarrassed. Saying things like he will play for a bigger club than Liverpool is just ridiculous. 

On 15/04/2019 at 13:01, DAFC. said:

He's quite comfortably the most overrated player in world football. 

On 19/05/2019 at 22:06, Enigma said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png good one!

On 20/05/2019 at 11:21, Cyril said:

I think Tierney would probably hold a place down at a Leicester, West Ham, Wolves. There is nothing to suggest that he would could play for a top 6 side.

On 28/05/2019 at 07:01, Smokerson said:

He’s vastly over rated, pulls out of most squads (injured or not) and we have one of the best left backs in Europe anyway. Time to move on from Tierney

On 23/06/2019 at 10:01, Guest DAVIDB69 said:

Yes the comments on the bbc thread are hilarious , saying he is a good as Robertson etc.

On 15/07/2019 at 20:13, velo army said:

Given his current injury (with no guarantee it'll clear up completely) and the fact that Robbo is in front of him, his 25th cap may not be for a few years. It's a contemptuous idea that only a diddy club would agree to. 

(17th cap tonight).

On 08/08/2019 at 22:02, LinkinFighter said:

Looking forward to seeing him in the first division...

Edited by GordonS

Throwing my tuppence into the O’Donnell conversation. 
He didn’t do anything wrong tonight and doesn’t let us down very often. 
However, there was times tonight it looked like everyone else was using a football and O’Donnell was playing with a live grenade.

The presence of guys like him (and Gallacher/Hanley/McKenna/Considine) forces our hand and means we have to play in a reactive rather than proactive manner as we can’t try keep the ball effectively with players that poor on the ball. Which I don’t actually think is that bad a thing in international set ups where half the battle is being hard to beat and limiting mistakes rather than having clear identified styles with the ball due to limited time (see Northern Ireland success). 

7 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Tierney was so good at tonight that as the game wore on Robertson was almost dropping into a supporting role for him. So I thought I'd give myself a laugh by getting a reminder of what folk here said about him on the Tierney thread.

(17th cap tonight).

Tierney was magnificent. What a player he is, still only 23 too. 

Pretty shocked Tierney only has 17 caps given he debuted 5 years ago. Feels like he's bee ever-present other than a fairly brief spell of injuries and unnecessary call offs.
Was it not more like nearly 2 years between caps at one point?

P.S. he was fucking class tonight alongside McTominay

Obviously there's night and day between them as players in general, but I don't think O'Donnell has played any worse than Andy Robertson in their respective positions for the national side.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Obviously there's night and day between them as players in general, but I don't think O'Donnell has played any worse than Andy Robertson in their respective positions for the national side.

I feel a bit sorry for Robertson. He needs someone in front of him to link up with.

It might be worth going baws oot a couple of times and playing a real 3-4-3 with Fraser in a LW role then you might see Robertson at his best with someone to play around and off of.

I thought we played pretty well all in.  We lost 2 avoidable goals but none of the defence played badly.  

McGinn is much better further forward for us and Dykes wasn't great but Christie and Armstrong looked lively and McTominay is too good to play in defence.

Should really have won, but if we get a win in Israel it will have been a good start

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Put me in the Hendry at fault for both goals camp. Were they disastrous errors - probably not but it's him both times 

There's nothing he could have done about either of them. 100% nothing to do with him at all imo and no player available to us would have done better in either situation. 

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Put me in the Hendry at fault for both goals camp. Were they disastrous errors - probably not but it's him both times 

First goal has to be on Marshall. Keeper at that level can't be pushing a fairly tame shot back into the 6 yard box. Needed to be pushed away from goal. There's also a ridiculous amount of space for the midfielder to just take a pot shot. The advancing forward comes past O'Donnell who just ignores him and Hendry desperately tries to chase back. He plays a part in the goal being conceded but he's not even in the first 3 names I'd have said were 'at fault' for it.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Really bizarre the hard-on people have for Jack Hendry failing because he had a bit of a shite time at Celtic tbh. Done absolutely nothing wrong tonight. He's not going to be Scotland's next superstar, but ffs.

It's equally bizarre for people to insist a player has had a great performance when they haven't because someone they don't like on the internet doesn't rate them; posters saying Hendry strolled it tonight are every bit as guilty of having made their minds up based on what would win them an argument on the internet rather than what happened on the pitch. He was far from the worst player on the park and he was far from flawless.

Anyway, while the defence was always likely to be the focus on here I think the midfield was the biggest issue. A year ago I'd never have thought I'd be saying this about Scotland, but we massively missed Ryan Jack. As good as some of our midfielders are, and Jack wouldn't be near getting a game ahead of any of the starters tonight for their clubs, he brings a balance and positional awareness to the midfield out of possession that no one else does. I'm not sure the shot for the first or cross for the second would have been allowed with so much space if he was there.

On the balance of play it was a good point in a game we could easily have lost and it's not fatal to our qualification chances as the defeat would have been, but realistically we need to be winning our home games if we're going to finish in the top two.

Just now, Dunning1874 said:

It's equally bizarre for people to insist a player has had a great performance when they haven't because someone they don't like on the internet doesn't rate them; posters saying Hendry strolled it tonight are every bit as guilty of having made their minds up based on what would win them an argument on the internet rather than what happened on the pitch. He was far from the worst player on the park and he was far from flawless.

Anyway, while the defence was always likely to be the focus on here I think the midfield was the biggest issue. A year ago I'd never have thought I'd be saying this about Scotland, but we massively missed Ryan Jack. As good as some of our midfielders are, and Jack wouldn't be near getting a game ahead of any of the starters tonight for their clubs, he brings a balance and positional awareness to the midfield out of possession that no one else does. I'm not sure the shot for the first or cross for the second would have been allowed with so much space if he was there.

On the balance of play it was a good point in a game we could easily have lost and it's not fatal to our qualification chances as the defeat would have been, but realistically we need to be winning our home games if we're going to finish in the top two.

Is anyone saying he was 'great'? Maybe I've skipped past it, but I've not seen anyone say such things. They've defended him because people are trying to hang him out to dry, but unless you mean on social media I must have missed them comments!

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

First goal has to be on Marshall. Keeper at that level can't be pushing a fairly tame shot back into the 6 yard box. Needed to be pushed away from goal. There's also a ridiculous amount of space for the midfielder to just take a pot shot. The advancing forward comes past O'Donnell who just ignores him and Hendry desperately tries to chase back. He plays a part in the goal being conceded but he's not even in the first 3 names I'd have said were 'at fault' for it.

Interesting. So you shouldn’t just see that Hendry was the closest player as he tapped home and automatically blame him. 

Anyone who thinks Hendry was at fault for the second doesn’t have the first clue about defending tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, but I think that's a bit hard on Marshall too. Decently hit shot bounces right in front of him on a slippy pitch. Ideally you'd want him to palm it out to the side but for me the problem is no pressure on the ball.

The Austrian guy had the time to take a touch, get his head up, get it out of his feet and get set then hit it. 

That's what you can't be doing at that level of the game, there has to be pressure on the ball immediately. I think it was McGinn that was closest.

The second goal same thing McGregor this time. I think he thought it was going inside to Alaba but you have to deal with the immediate threat so he should have sprinted the five yards straight at the boy to put pressure on him and deny him time. Again he had the time to get his head up and pick his cross after taking a touch.

McGregor was at fault for a similar goal recently can't remember who against but he went to sleep on the edge of the box no pressure didn't close the gap and cost us a goal.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yeah, while there's probably something of Darren Fletcher effect going on with Robertson in that people expect too much of him because of the club he plays for, it's undeniable that since we've gone to a back three O'Donnell has been as good as Robertson.

Robertson is one of the best left backs in the world and no one is saying O'Donnell is anywhere near his level, but being a wing back with no winger to overlap is a very different thing and he's just not as good at it. Still a great player and no chance he should be dropped, but anyone calling out O'Donnell as a weak link after recent games while talking up Robertson is basing it on reputation.