Scotland v Austria

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

We conceded two goals and it was his man that scored both.

I think you're being a bit harsh here Marshy. We needed to defend better as a team in both instances.

It was his first cap for 3 years, chucked in alongside Grant Hanley and up against a big awkward opponent. He wasn't great and would be an extremely fortunate laddie to make the Euro finals squad, but tonight wouldn't even rank in the top 20 of worst Scotland CB performances of the last decade.

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

Your opinion is literally worth the sum total of f**k all. 

It is clearly based on a bias. 

I will not post anymore on this subject as I value your judgement less than an amoeba 🦠 

I cannot deny, I am biased against bad football players and do not want to see them play for my team.

Disappointing to drop points but the character shown wouldn't have happened 18 months ago, so that has to be a pleasing sign of progress.

The two Austria goals were preventable, the first by closing the shot at the edge of the box and the second by stopping the cross. So some grumblings from me about our work defensively there.

However we worked hard to keep up with a team who are deservedly higher up the rankings than us and created two well taken goals. SOD's cross for the first was an absolute delight and Hanley finished well. The second is just all sorts of ridiculous from McGinn, cracking finish.

Positive performances from SOD, Tierney and McTominay. McGinn got better after being pushed up and Christie worked his socks off even if it didn't work too often.

Was disappointed with Armstrong and Robertson tonight who both struggled to produce anything of note. Dykes got nowhere near enough support and you could see that he needs a Fraser or an Adams willing to link closely with him.

All on the Israel game to make it a good break. Would probably bring in McGregor for Armstrong and push McGinn higher. I'd also likely bring in Fraser for Christie. Reason being that I'd want to see if we can use Fraser to try to pin Dasa back and release Robertson from the choke hold that Dasa has on him. Also letting Fraser drift right form time to time to let SOD push on a bit.

On a general note, see after watching Aberdeen for 4 months, that was a fucking delight of a game of football to watch.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

The alternative also being rubbish doesn't make O'Donnell good.

That said, I think his performance was bad enough tonight to see him lose the shirt. Lets see if Palmer is worse.

He is, there's plenty of evidence out there.

Did you miss O'Donnell's assist tonight? And Alaba having a generally uncomfortable game against him?

O'Donnell's been first pick under Steve Clarke for both club and country since October 2017 for a reason - one that has escaped a fair few folks on here and beyond ever since.

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I think that Eilidh Barbour does a fantastic job covering both matches and sounds as if she’s watched both in their entirety. But awful to have two matches with the same people covering them both. Just shite.

The sections featuring the NI guys was also being shown on 403 at exactly the same time: It puzzled me but I had not watched from the start so I presume they explained why it was a twin approach. On the game I thought the overall performance was ok and I liked the last 20 minutes: Coming back twice was a good sign but it's the Israel game that sets the scene. Thought Tierney was really good but would have liked Fraser on for a wee run at them. Would like to hear the Refs reason for no penalty . No need to over react.

23 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Hendry’s distribution is also average compared with mctominay so we kept losing possession and inviting pressure onto ourselves. I know gilmour is young and hardly playing but leaning towards just bringing him in to allow mctominay to drop back to defence

Did Hendry give the ball away at all? Don’t think so. Hendry should have reacted quicker for the first goal but the second goal was not his fault - there was no pressure put on the ball to stop the cross. 

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Did you miss O'Donnell's assist tonight? And Alaba having a generally uncomfortable game against him?

O'Donnell's been first pick under Steve Clarke for both club and country since October 2017 for a reason - one that has escaped a fair few folks on here and beyond ever since.

I agree some managers and players just “click” and I reckon this is one of those partnerships 

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

O'Donnell's assist was a goalkeeping error. 99 times out of 100, the keeper makes the right decision and takes that ball.

Don't really understand people saying he got any change out of Alaba either. I can't think of many offensive contributions O'Donnell made during the course of the match. Alaba was so unconcerned about him that there were times he'd leave him in about 30 yards of space and tuck into midfield, and O'Donnell would still f**k it up somehow.

Austria built their gameplan around defending our left hand side. They knew as well as we do that our right backs are awful. It's simply time to find out if Palmer can be less awful than O'Donnell. Demonstrating an ability to pass and cross the ball occasionally would be enough.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

O'Donnell's assist was a goalkeeping error. 99 times out of 100, the keeper makes the right decision and takes that ball.

Don't really understand people saying he got any change out of Alaba either. I can't think of many offensive contributions O'Donnell made during the course of the match. Alaba was so unconcerned about him that there were times he'd leave him in about 30 yards of space and tuck into midfield, and O'Donnell would still f**k it up somehow.

Austria built their gameplan around defending our left hand side. They knew as well as we do that our right backs are awful. It's simply time to find out if Palmer can be less awful than O'Donnell. Demonstrating an ability to pass and cross the ball occasionally would be enough.

Liam Palmer already has 7 caps for Scotland - all gained in the last two years and all at right back.

There's a reason why he has not been chosen ahead of Stephen O'Donnell in the past year.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Liam Palmer has 7 caps for Scotland - all gained in the last two years and all at right back.

There's a reason why he is not chosen ahead of Stephen O'Donnell.

Would not respond to the G Wagon.

Clearly on a fishing trip and trying far too hard. Sad really....

A little bit disappointed. Only because I thought that Austria looked like nothing special and probably the weakest second seed we have had since we started never being in the top two seeds. So only drawing to them at home seems a bit of a lost opportunity.

Still, there was plenty of character there and we looked more likely to win than lose at the end, so can't complain too much.

Basically, if we beat Israel, this was a good result. If we f**k it up against them again, it wasn't.

13 minutes ago, G51 said:

Alaba decided after about 70 minutes he was getting nothing down our right, so switched inside, and their attacks began concentrating on our left.   Not to mention their second goal.  

Edited by Antiochas III

Hendry could have reacted better for the first. Can’t blame him for the second. We gave them far too much space and time to pick out pretty much their only threat and, no matter how close Hendry gets, the striker is getting his head to that all day.

Can’t be dissapointed with getting a result after being behind twice, but I feel they were there for the taking. We did have some decent enough chances. Stuart Armstrong was unlucky from a tight angle and Ryan Christie has really got to score that chance that was gifted to us. Referee was out his skull as well as we also should have had a nailed-on penalty.

Maximum points needed from Israel and the Faroes otherwise it’s a poor start. Israel away makes me sick to my bones.