Scotland v Austria

I've went with this but Fraser more of a winger and Armstrong on the left. Fraser to support Adams on the break. Christie could come into that role too. Depends who's sharper at the moment. 

This is possibly one of the strongest squads I've seen in years. Very few drop outs and injuries. 

scotland-austria-39f54a703f49c82c99367c72da6ce9d3.jpg

Edited by the snudge

FBABC8F1-A3CB-4B85-9720-A601EA320A97.thumb.jpeg.674b0e2314ca9a9bea2a982d9d179cf5.jpeg

This is how I would go.

A lot of people I’m seeing suggesting Hendry to start, is this likely? I’ve heard a lot of good reports on him in Belgium but is he likely to be thrust straight into the team over McKenna/Gallagher/Hanley?

Very little knowledge or skin in the game with it myself but genuinely curious.

I forgot about Palmer. Would probably play him, even though often this season he's been coming off the bench and not playing RB.

Alaba mostly plays off the left for them and is a very powerful player with serious quality. Palmer is much physically stronger than O'Donnell so would be a better bet down that side. 

Had a wee look at Austria's last few games they seem to change formation a lot. 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 and 3-5-2 in their last three games. But always with Alaba on the left. 

If Aurnatovic plays too he operates mostly off the left, so you'd want to make sure you're solid on that side. Especially since Scotland are solid on our left they probably will target our right side. 

11 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Has Gallagher played much football in 2021? I think one of Hanley/Hendry will start at RCB so McTominay can play midfield and then for the middle spot it's between McKenna/Hanley/Hendry

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/declan-gallagher/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/107544/wettbewerb/SC1/saison/2020

2 Sub appearances and one start since the 23rd of December.  Imo that would make him unlikely to start tomorrow.

Just a view on Austria:

• Austrian Coach usually starts with a  4-2-3-1 or some variant close to that.
  • Alaba (Bayern) has been pushing to be used more as a playmaker with Austria and in the last 2 games played in left midfield.
  • Centre backs Hinteregger (Frankfurt) and Posch (Hoffenheim) are unlikely to play due to injury.
  • Regular central midfielder Julien Baumgartlinger (Leverkusen) is injured,
  • Left midfielder Baumgartner (Hoffenheim) returns having missed the last squad in November.
  • Alaba (Bayern) could be considered to play at centre back or perhaps in centre midfield.
  • Left back Ulmer (Salzburg) is seen as a bit of a weak link for them.
  • Gregoritsch (Augsburg) normally starts as centre forward, but Kalajdzic (Stuttgart) has hit strong form and may take his place.
Edited by 2426255

Just a view on Austria:
  • Austrian Coach usually starts with a  4-2-3-1 or some variant close to that.
  • Alaba (Bayern) has been pushing to be used more as a playmaker with Austria and in the last 2 games played in left midfield.
  • Centre backs Hinteregger (Frankfurt) and Posch (Hoffenheim) are unlikely to play due to injury.
  • Regular central midfielder Julien Baumgartlinger (Leverkusen) is injured,
  • Left midfielder Baumgartner (Hoffenheim) returns having missed the last squad in November.
  • Alaba (Bayern) could be considered to play at centre back or perhaps in centre midfield.
  • Left back Ulmer (Salzburg) is seen as a bit of a weak link for them.
  • Gregoritsch (Augsburg) normally starts as centre forward, but Kalajdzic (Stuttgart) has hit strong form and may take his place.
Are they likely to dominate the ball? I was wondering if we might be able to get away with playing Hanley at RCB and McTominay in midfield if there was less of an emphasis on Hanley needing to play and having less space to cover.

I think it's likely they will dominate the ball.

Separately, when attacking their defensive midfielder - usually Ilsanker (Frankfurt) - will drop in to form a back three with the two centre backs allowing both full backs Ulmer (Salzburg) and Lainer (Monchengladbach) to be attacking threats with Lainer in particular delaying his runs to avoid being picked up.

Again, not sure if that's what will happen - but might be worth watching out for. They won 5/6 games in their nations league group - but all by the odd goal and they haven't been playing swashbuckling football. I think we will be doing well to get the 3 points! 🤞

Pervan, their first choice keeper doesn't start at all for Wolfsburg so he might also be a weak link or he might not start at all considering four goalkeepers have been called up.

Edited by 2426255

I'm not sure how good we really are. I just hope the way we played in the first 90 mins against Serbia is a gauge to go off... But then we went losing to Israel.

Austria are a good team but not unbeatable. I believe they are something like 23rd in the world rankings.

Would like to see Adams start and playing of Dykes.

2-1 Scotland.

6 hours ago, the snudge said:

I've went with this but Fraser more of a winger and Armstrong on the left. Fraser to support Adams on the break. Christie could come into that role too. Depends who's sharper at the moment. 

This is possibly one of the strongest squads I've seen in years. Very few drop outs and injuries. 

scotland-austria-39f54a703f49c82c99367c72da6ce9d3.jpg

There is absolutely no way that Clarke won’t pick McGregor in midfield. I agree with you he should be dropped btw.

I reckon it will be:

Marshall

O'Donnell McTominay Gallagher Tierney Robertson

McGregor McGinn McLean

Fraser Dykes

Could be. That is largely the players and system that won us thru the playoffs. Then he could save any change up for once we've (hopefully) settled into the game.