Thistle vs Cove - Lower League Football is back

Very important game to reopen the season with. It will be interesting to see how both teams play as both will likely be pretty rusty after a lengthy time off.

A lot of new options in the squad for us so I’m unsure of what lineup we will go for. 

Edited by R&Y99

1 hour ago, R&Y99 said:

Very important game to reopen the season with. It will be interesting to see how both teams play as both will likely be pretty rusty after a lengthy time off.

A lot of new options in the squad for us so I’m unsure of what lineup we will go for. 

Whatever the line up, it will be akin to Dad's Army XI.

I think the starting XI yesterday is probably the starting XI on Saturday, allowing for the usual spate of injuries in training. Rudden suspended for this week and next, but eligible for the cup on Tuesday I think. Definitely out of this one though.

As part of our post-shutdown supermarket sweep, we signed a centre half, a (third) right back, a defensive midfielder, a number 10 and a centre forward, pretty much all central.

So we're still going to plough ahead with 2 wingers, one of whom is the ultimate one trick pony and the other a converted (failed) full back.

Hope I'm wrong but this has turgid 1-1  or 0-1 all over it.

I think we’ll line up with probably a 4-4-2, of Graham and McIver up top. This will be an extremely difficult game I reckon and 1 goal will probably be the difference. Still think we need more pace in the team which I suspect Cove will try to exploit our lacking in that area. 

For me it all feels like the start of every season, no idea how we will fare, hoping for the best and fearing the worst. Given it isn't the start and we are really at the half way point the team need to lay down a marker and need to win. Anything less and we can all pack up and look forward to next season. There's no room for any mistakes if we aspire to get out of this league at first time of trying as there were too many mistakes in the first half of what is now a short season. 

I have read understandable comments by some on here that record negativity about the current squad and the new signings and particularly the lack of pace. McCall has clearly decided that to get out of L1 he needs to take the experienced route so there can be no excuse that this team don't know what is expected. They need to control games, win tackles and be clever with the ball. That shouldn't be beyond this group at this level. If it is we are looking at a lengthy stay in this league. We should win by a couple of goals but I'm not convinced we will. 

Hard to call this one with the enforced two month layoff. Cove's last game was a 3-2 away win against Alloa where we dominated start to finish and looked incredibly strong going forward and in control of the ball.

No new signings  for Cove which I'm surprised by. We'll need to play far better than we did in the previous encounter with Partick if we are to take all 3 points.

Glad to have L1 back at last 👌

Draw, Lose or Draw is back! Listen in as we discuss our new signings, preview Saturday’s clash with Cove, chat to Cove match reporter for the Press and Journal/Evening Express, Jamie Durent, talk about the team selection and formation we think will be used for the remainder of campaign and chat about the 22 game season and the split.

Edited by Draw, Lose or Draw Podcast

Cove without Harry Milne and Scott Ross which makes the back four relatively unfamiliar. Logan, on loan from Hearts, makes his first start.

Leighton McIntosh gets a start and needs to show his worth in my opinion after an uneventful start to his Cove career.

Mitch up top alone. Quality striker with lots of energy and pace and is usually deadly given half a chance.

Looking forward to this one. Good day for free flowing football not like the reverse fixture where it was blowing 50mph

This was never going to be a great watch with both teams having not played for just under three months, but it has been pretty dull.

The game opened up slightly more late on, so hopefully it is a bit of a better second half.

Half time and it's 0-0. Both teams don't look match sharp which is understandable to a degree. Hopefully we see an improvement in the second 45.

Rory for McIntosh and Higgins for Livingstone would be the subs I would make in the second half. Would like to see Connor Smith get some action too.

25 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Standard from both teams can only get better!

Speak for yourself...

Grim, grim stuff. 

Had to check my stream at one point to make sure I wasn't playing at at 0.75 speed. 

The square pegs in round holes thing was fine when we had ten players out injured but really no need to have so many folk out of position.