Sons vs Loons

Oh ya fucker. We warned you about Ramsbottom but just wow.

It's quite telling that Morton released just ONE player from last year's squad, choosing to keep and furlough all the rest of the dross. In doing so we have also got to this stage of the season without having a sub keeper on the bench once.

We literally chose having no sub keeper rather than having Ramsbottom.

8 minutes ago, GordyBrow said:

I have no doubt that he should have made up the ground and kept it out.

Agreed.

I wonder if it was worse than when François Dubourdeau sliced the ball into his own net to give a 9 man Sons victory in the last minute. I really wish that one had been caught on film.

Edited by FifeSons

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I thought Bobby Mann lobbing Dr Jan from the half way line was the worst goal I'd ever see us concede. Sheep's Arse just proved that to be wrong.

To be fair, you're too young to have seen Willie Wigham throw the ball into his own net on 14th April 1973 at Boghead in a 1-1 draw with Ayr United. 

14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I thought Bobby Mann lobbing Dr Jan from the half way line was the worst goal I'd ever see us concede. Sheep's Arse just proved that to be wrong.

I think Barry Sellars might have scored a lob from his own half against us at Arbroath too?

Cheers for all the nice comments on the commentary guys. Chris isn't on here but I've screenshotted a few and fired them his way too. He puts a power of work in and came into this season with next to no background knowledge of Scottish League One - so he's blown me away with a few things. Particularly Jimmy Scott and Gary Irvine playing for the same Scotland U21s team about 15 years ago or whatever.

That, today, summed up our season. I haven't listened to the commentary of the goal back but I was actually speechless. Above all else I just felt sympathy for Ramsbottom. It's a horrible, horrible mistake to make and something that will haunt him for a long time to come. It was probably made worse by the fact that he didn't have much else to do either, so it wasn't like he'd made a howler but redeemed himself with a few saves. He didn't even have that opportunity. 

As for us. Well we're toothless and as soon as we're a goal down in a game then we've lost it. It's that simple. Defensively we were fine, Nat and Carsy were fine but after that everything sort of fizzles out. Fwiw Forbes had his best game since we returned and I thought Brindley looked handy - even though he was clearly out of position - but we're screaming out for some quality out wide and, above all else, a penalty box striker. Unless Duffy addresses that issue then we're on a one-way ticket to League Two.

I wouldn't have taken off Wilson when he did. He was pretty much our only goal threat from open play. That sub left us without a natural striker when we were needing a goal. Bizarre.

To his credit, Stef did well when he came on and I would've started him on Tuesday. But then we get the news that he's out for the rest of the season because his shoulder surgery is next week. So that will leave us with a squad of 19. Two of whom (JBH and Stef) are out for the season, one of whom (Church) is out until at least April and two of whom are keepers who aren't close to be in the same league as Kevin. If that's how we're going to finish the season then we don't have a hope in hell of surviving.

On Forfar, they weren't great, but I noticed some big changes from Stuart Malcolm. He's normally very vocal and flying about the touchline, but he was a lot calmer today and watched a lot of the game from the stand. I thought a few of their signings were weird but Andy Munro, Jimmy Scott and Grant Anderson all really added to their team - and their experience played a big role in securing the win. Having guys like that on the park was probably another reason why Malks wasn't hollering his face off on the touchline too. 

Cheers for all the nice comments on the commentary guys. Chris isn't on here but I've screenshotted a few and fired them his way too. He puts a power of work in and came into this season with next to no background knowledge of Scottish League One - so he's blown me away with a few things. Particularly Jimmy Scott and Gary Irvine playing for the same Scotland U21s team about 15 years ago or whatever.
That, today, summed up our season. I haven't listened to the commentary of the goal back but I was actually speechless. Above all else I just felt sympathy for Ramsbottom. It's a horrible, horrible mistake to make and something that will haunt him for a long time to come. It was probably made worse by the fact that he didn't have much else to do either, so it wasn't like he'd made a howler but redeemed himself with a few saves. He didn't even have that opportunity. 
As for us. Well we're toothless and as soon as we're a goal down in a game then we've lost it. It's that simple. Defensively we were fine, Nat and Carsy were fine but after that everything sort of fizzles out. Fwiw Forbes had his best game since we returned and I thought Brindley looked handy - even though he was clearly out of position - but we're screaming out for some quality out wide and, above all else, a penalty box striker. Unless Duffy addresses that issue then we're on a one-way ticket to League Two.
I wouldn't have taken off Wilson when he did. He was pretty much our only goal threat from open play. That sub left us without a natural striker when we were needing a goal. Bizarre.
To his credit, Stef did well when he came on and I would've started him on Tuesday. But then we get the news that he's out for the rest of the season because his shoulder surgery is next week. So that will leave us with a squad of 19. Two of whom (JBH and Stef) are out for the season, one of whom (Church) is out until at least April and two of whom are keepers who aren't close to be in the same league as Kevin. If that's how we're going to finish the season then we don't have a hope in hell of surviving.
On Forfar, they weren't great, but I noticed some big changes from Stuart Malcolm. He's normally very vocal and flying about the touchline, but he was a lot calmer today and watched a lot of the game from the stand. I thought a few of their signings were weird but Andy Munro, Jimmy Scott and Grant Anderson all really added to their team - and their experience played a big role in securing the win. Having guys like that on the park was probably another reason why Malks wasn't hollering his face off on the touchline too. 
Add me to the commentary fans. Knowledgeable about both teams, described the action well, good bit of banter between you and clearly a lot of research done. Non biased too which isn't always the case with these commentaries.

As for the game, I thought we were still a bit toothless but defended well mostly. We know what we're getting with Munro, he's going to get skint a few times but he's a warrior and will eat up long balls all day, very vocal organising the rest too which is something we've really missed this season.

Thought Moore had a good game in midfield, good bit of technical ability. Northcott caused problems in the first half and we've badly needed a pacey winger. Was a bit unsure of the signing of Jimmy Scott but think he did OK today, held it up in difficult positions a few times and unlucky with the attempt that hit the post. Anderson looked a little of the pace but he's had a longer break than most. Nditi had a couple of fouls after his clumsy yellow but thought he did OK, think I'd rather Meechan at right back but it's early days.

Dumbarton looked mostly comfortable but most of the danger came from set plays, they had a couple of good moves in the match but McCallum made a couple of decent saves, Forbes at the end was a sitter though. Think a draw would have been fair but these are the types of scraps we need to win and despite it being a lucky goal starting with a clean sheet is a great return.

We're undefeated in 2021!

15 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I can't argue with very much of that.  I see a parallel here with our grim opening period in the Championship when Alan Adamson's team was struggling hugely.  A tough decision had to be taken by the Board and it was, and it was remarkable how the change of manager in Ian Murray rejuvenated a group of players who had looked dejected.

I'm not suggesting it would be just as easy right now, but what I would say is that under the present set-up we will see absolutely no rejuvenation.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Still fondly remember that one, shouting to Bobby to hit it when the ball was heading his way then the Sons keeper backtracking frantically 😆

I've been working in the fucking shitehole that is Middlesbrough all week, had a 13 hour shift today with no access to my phone and despite Duffy being a fucking depressant I was actually looking forward to my evenings viewing. 

I don't think there has been anything more predictable than what happened today. I just laughed. I don't actually blame Ramsbottom, it's not his fault he's playing at a level he shouldn't be, it's not his fault Jim Duffy is utterly fucking useless at convincing players to sign for us and threw a deal at a guy absolutely nobody wanted. I mean Morton literally chose to go with no back up keeper than keep this bum. If the board are not now considering options then I hope they are considering an assault on League 2, cause that's where we're heading.

Duffy out.