Morton v Queens

44 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Hynes was excellent for a boy who has barely had a sniff.

McGinty much better in a back three.

McGinn exactly the kind of player we need at this stage.

Nesbitt much better central than wide.

Oliver played very well (amazing how much better he looks when not up front alone getting high balls shelled at him...).

How good is it, tho, to have an actual manager? Every decision confident, evidence in our play of actual coaching, and he clearly got the message through at half-time about not stepping off the gas.

Mon the fuckin Ton...

^^^ This (though I'll keep my opinion of McGinty to myself since we won today and dont want to be a party pooper).

Gus was bang on to substitute big Markus when he did... seconds before I thought the ref was going to give him a second yellow which would have put us on the back-foot after only 20mins or so.

As Ghost said.....'its good to have a manager again!.

MON EH' TON!

No one got wrongly sent off last week either, but that didn't stop you squealing and squealing until you got your way.
Thankfully those shameless antics and the contribution of your ineligible player to the scoresheet failed to change the outcome today.
fd09c741-bedb-4e25-9225-a1288465c2bc.jpg.112a4038efad1a9bb85f42bc19f4cc61.jpg
When did you become such a poor parody of yourself?

1 hour ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

How good is it, tho, to have an actual manager? Every decision confident, evidence in our play of actual coaching, and he clearly got the message through at half-time about not stepping off the gas.

We've had nineteen managers/long term interims picking the team since 2000 and most of them at least claimed to be 'actual managers' as well; on that basis, I'll be reserving judgment for quite some time. It's good to hear that the decisions paid off today though. 

2 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Working perfectly for me on the internet browser on the fire stick.

Yass! How do you score from an outswinging corner?

Exactly this......correct me if I'm wrong....but Nesbit hit an outswinger there...how the **** did that happen?

As Big Andy said...'cut it out Aiden......I'm the legendary scorer from corners!'

Thought the stream/coverage was very good today. Good commentary team. Might even be better than Queens, with the fact that they have 3 cameras covering it.

Thought Queens were fairly poor, although a good goal from 'Big Steve'. 

Just a question, is the car park overlooking the ground a good viewing point for watching games, and do any Morton fans watch from there in these troubled times?

36 minutes ago, AnotherEdinburghDoonhamer said:

Just a question, is the car park overlooking the ground a good viewing point for watching games, and do any Morton fans watch from there in these troubled times?

I believe you are "moved on" by stewards or somebody.

Thought the stream/coverage was very good today. Good commentary team. Might even be better than Queens, with the fact that they have 3 cameras covering it.

Thought Queens were fairly poor, although a good goal from 'Big Steve'. 

Fair play to Gus, he's been with us just over a week. Seen what had to be done and did it!

Huge gamble paid off with the controversial inclusion of Hynes. He comes in and gets a MotM performance - fair play to the boy also.

We needed a manager when Hoppy left, what a waste of games, especially at Cappielow where we kept playing the same formation and getting the same outcomes of not testing the opposition keeper.

1st time in a long time that I felt we would see it out and we did so with relative ease.

As others have said, having an experienced management team in place seems to have made an immediate difference and there's no reason why we can't pick up 2/3 more wins before Arbroath and finish the season comfortably. 

Great to see Oliver score, always liked him and has been very unfortunate not to see more game time. Another cracking ball in by Colville who continues to impress.

League table is feckin nuts.

Had ducked out on pre match thread feeling this could be the end as big Obileye dodges a red last week and sends us to the seaside leagues.

A prity hard watch but actually we did good.

Appointed a real manager who doesn't  mess about, don't  think Gus discusses matters but just puts in place his plans.

To the game, hinged on a number of pivotal issues.

1. Gus dumps Blues and Muirhead to the bench, lucky to get bench money.

2. Picks out Hayes as inform player in training. Played well , decent crosses into the box, went all day.

3. Decides wins are better than draws, plays two up front even though the two he picks are a surprise. 

4 Takes decisive action. Hooks Fjortoft after 27 mins when all watching are suprised the ref didn't  beat him to it. I am not saying he was poor but booked and grab the boy going through and was lucky  to still be on.

5. Queens. 

After  a poor first 35 mins came into it. Great goal from Obileye who was agiant in mid field. In the second half moved Obieye back to centre half were his movement was suspect. Took off Mebube and introduced a frail Dobbie. A sad loss as he has carried QOS for the past 5 plus years.

A mention for Sterling, great free kick won in the dying moments took the danger of injury time loss away and confirmed our win.

Well while all is still to play for but I feel it's now doable and look forward to visiting Dumfries next year all being well. A plus for both sides.

Had ducked out on pre match thread feeling this could be the end as big Obileye dodges a red last week and sends us to the seaside leagues.
A prity hard watch but actually we did good.
Appointed a real manager who doesn't  mess about, don't  think Gus discusses matters but just puts in place his plans.
To the game, hinged on a number of pivotal issues.
1. Gus dumps Blues and Muirhead to the bench, lucky to get bench money.
2. Picks out Hayes as inform player in training. Played well , decent crosses into the box, went all day.
3. Decides wins are better than draws, plays two up front even though the two he picks are a surprise. 
4 Takes decisive action. Hooks Fjortoft after 27 mins when all watching are suprised the ref didn't  beat him to it. I am not saying he was poor but booked and grab the boy going through and was lucky  to still be on.
5. Queens. 
After  a poor first 35 mins came into it. Great goal from Obileye who was agiant in mid field. In the second half moved Obieye back to centre half were his movement was suspect. Took off Mebube and introduced a frail Dobbie. A sad loss as he has carried QOS for the past 5 plus years.
A mention for Sterling, great free kick won in the dying moments took the danger of injury time loss away and confirmed our win.
Well while all is still to play for but I feel it's now doable and look forward to visiting Dumfries next year all being well. A plus for both sides.

Obileye never moved, he was still CM in the second half. The problem was the CM was being completely bypassed. Long ball after long ball. Dobbie would have been effective in today's role 10 years ago. Booting high balls to him has never been effective.

It was just appalling all around for us and we were comfortably beaten.

Agree our hoofball tactics bypassed the central midfield and were easily dealt with by the Morton rearguard,  added to that imo they (Morton) played with a bit of width throughout the game and very rarely tried attacking through the middle, effectively taking our CM out of the game. I did think in the later stages that Obileye did drop deeper, more like a back 3,  with Buchanan on the right and Breen on left trying to allow Gibson and Maxwell to get further forward. The combination of hoofball tactics and the inability by a lot of Queens players to make  simple passes to a teammate when they did have the ball made it almost impossible to get the strikers involved. 

Obileye never moved, he was still CM in the second half. The problem was the CM was being completely bypassed. Long ball after long ball. Dobbie would have been effective in today's role 10 years ago. Booting high balls to him has never been effective.

It was just appalling all around for us and we were comfortably beaten.
Pretty sure he did. Looked like we went 3-5-2 when Dobbie came on.

We've played direct pretty much since Shields went up front. The difference yesterday was the quality of the forward balls weren't good enough and the Morton defence did well to take away space in behind and out wide.

It wasn't really the pitch for passing through midfield, or even dribbling with the ball. I take it there were no red blaes pitches available in Greenock on Saturday?

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It wasn't really the pitch for passing through midfield, or even dribbling with the ball. I take it there were no red blaes pitches available in Greenock on Saturday?

The basis of your next club appeal emerges!