Jump to content

Lyndon Dykes


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

That’s just not true sir, he’s played up front pretty much all season and alot of last season.

He also plays there for Australia.

And Nisbet got his first cap for Scotland in March, Boyle was capped by Australia in 2018.

Genuine question, what is Boyle better at? 
 

I’ve only seen bits of both, and other than knowing that Boyle is ridiculously fast couldn’t tell you a great deal about either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Genuine question, what is Boyle better at? 
 

I’ve only seen bits of both, and other than knowing that Boyle is ridiculously fast couldn’t tell you a great deal about either. 

About 5 years ago it would pace and pace only.

I’m not sure if it’s been coached or a penny is dropped but he doesn’t even really have much of a weakness, he was pretty much a less strong Oli Burke beforehand.

Nowadays, he obviously still has the electric pace but his dribbling and ability to beat a man is probably the best I’ve ever seen at Hibs, his finishing is really strong, he’s a good crosser of the ball and he’s even added a knack of getting into the position to score rebounds and tap ins quite a lot.

He’s also added an element of diving and just in general being a b*****d on the pitch which everyone else hates but it’s tremendous if he’s playing for your team.

If it hadn’t been for the fact him and his wife both play for Hibs and the fact they’re settled with children in Edinburgh, I have absolutely no doubt he’d be playing for a low level English premier league or high level championship club, I know Huddersfield and Stoke were interested a year or so ago.

Edited by Les Cabbage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Les Cabbage said:

About 5 years ago it would pace and pace only.

I’m not sure if it’s been coached or a penny is dropped but he doesn’t even really have much of a weakness, he was pretty much a less strong Oli Burke.

Nowadays, he obviously still has the electric pace but his dribbling and ability to beat a man is probably the best I’ve ever seen at Hibs, his finishing is really strong, he’s a good crosser of the ball and he’s even added a knack of getting into the position to score rebounds and tap ins quite a lot.

He’s also added an element of diving and just in general being a b*****d on the pitch which everyone else hates but it’s tremendous if he’s playing for your team.

If it hadn’t been for the fact him and his wife both play for Hibs and the fact they’re settled with children in Edinburgh, I have absolutely no doubt he’d be playing for a low level English premier league or high level championship club, I know Huddersfield and Stoke were interested a year or so ago.

He is obviously just one of those guys who has really grown as a player in recent years, I think he would undoubtedly be a good option for the national team - though most likely off the bench. When he was first capped by Australia I don’t imagine that seemed very likely! 
 

Hopefully Nisbet can kick on this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He is obviously just one of those guys who has really grown as a player in recent years, I think he would undoubtedly be a good option for the national team - though most likely off the bench. When he was first capped by Australia I don’t imagine that seemed very likely! 
 

Hopefully Nisbet can kick on this season. 

Definitely, that pretty much sums it up.

Look, I’m not making out like he’s the second coming of Maradona but he would without a doubt be in the squad and a brilliant option to change a game for us.

Obviously even in 2018 when McLeish told him to pick Australia no one could have imagined him turning out this good but it was still a failing from McLeish (one of many) to show a total lack of foresight.

I think his reasoning was that we had a dearth of attacking options which sums it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

About 5 years ago it would pace and pace only.

I’m not sure if it’s been coached or a penny is dropped but he doesn’t even really have much of a weakness, he was pretty much a less strong Oli Burke beforehand.

Nowadays, he obviously still has the electric pace but his dribbling and ability to beat a man is probably the best I’ve ever seen at Hibs, his finishing is really strong, he’s a good crosser of the ball and he’s even added a knack of getting into the position to score rebounds and tap ins quite a lot.

He’s also added an element of diving and just in general being a b*****d on the pitch which everyone else hates but it’s tremendous if he’s playing for your team.

If it hadn’t been for the fact him and his wife both play for Hibs and the fact they’re settled with children in Edinburgh, I have absolutely no doubt he’d be playing for a low level English premier league or high level championship club, I know Huddersfield and Stoke were interested a year or so ago.

Don't be absurd

If he was good enough he would be playing premier league 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fair play to him, he has came up with the goods when we needed it most, even if he didn't have a clue about the goal v the Faroes they all count and it prevented a huge fck up.

Not convinced Dykes and Adams are good enough to propel us into a top rate or even a 2nd rate international team but I hope they prove me wrong. Dykes in particular can keep improving. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

...even if he didn't have a clue about the goal v the Faroes they all count and it prevented a huge fck up

 

I don't think that's entirely true.

Seems to me he had a clue enough to see a fast cross coming into the box and made contact with it. Getting the touch is more important than the defender getting there first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think that's entirely true.
Seems to me he had a clue enough to see a fast cross coming into the box and made contact with it. Getting the touch is more important than the defender getting there first.
This. He wasn't in that position accidentally.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Fair play to him, he has came up with the goods when we needed it most, even if he didn't have a clue about the goal v the Faroes they all count and it prevented a huge fck up.

Not convinced Dykes and Adams are good enough to propel us into a top rate or even a 2nd rate international team but I hope they prove me wrong. Dykes in particular can keep improving. 

 

Top rate? Do you expect us to be in and around the England’s, Italy’s, Spain’s, etc? We need a lot more than a striker for that to happen.

2nd rate sounds demeaning. But if you meant it to sound more like the 2nd tier of teams, that’s exactly where we are. For years we have been 4th tier. Us being comfortable around the Pot 2 teams is pretty much our highest expectation right now and we’re essentially there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RobbieD said:

Top rate? Do you expect us to be in and around the England’s, Italy’s, Spain’s, etc? We need a lot more than a striker for that to happen.

2nd rate sounds demeaning. But if you meant it to sound more like the 2nd tier of teams, that’s exactly where we are. For years we have been 4th tier. Us being comfortable around the Pot 2 teams is pretty much our highest expectation right now and we’re essentially there.

I don't expect anything of Scotland to be honest 😂. But in one off games, like England at Wembley for example, we more than matched them all over the park but didn't have that clinical touch when it came to the final third. Same with the Czech game. 

Yes sorry, 2nd tier sounds better. I think it's far too early to say. Results like the Austrian one would say we are heading in the right direction. 2nd tier teams get to tournaments and qualify from the group. Maybe we will at Qatar if we qualify for it. That is our yardstick from the Euros to see how far we have came. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I don't expect anything of Scotland to be honest 😂. But in one off games, like England at Wembley for example, we more than matched them all over the park but didn't have that clinical touch when it came to the final third. Same with the Czech game. 

Yes sorry, 2nd tier sounds better. I think it's far too early to say. Results like the Austrian one would say we are heading in the right direction. 2nd tier teams get to tournaments and qualify from the group. Maybe we will at Qatar if we qualify for it. That is our yardstick from the Euros to see how far we have came. 

 

Success for us this year was making the play offs which we pretty much have in the bank at this point barring a disaster in Moldova.  Anything more is a bonus. 
 

I can see the knives coming out again if we lose in the play offs.  That’s the dunderheids opportunity to blether shite for the next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/10/2021 at 12:14, RobbieD said:

Success for us this year was making the play offs which we pretty much have in the bank at this point barring a disaster in Moldova.  Anything more is a bonus. 
 

I can see the knives coming out again if we lose in the play offs.  That’s the dunderheids opportunity to blether shite for the next year.

Totally Agree. The playoffs (should we qualify) will be a step up in difficulty. A level we have reached periodically, but not consistently. The ultimate goal is to be consistent at the level of a lot of the teams in the playoffs such as Sweden, Switzerland, Poland etc but that takes time and clearly it wouldn't be failure if we aren't succesful in the playoffs.

At the moment we are somewhere around good third seeds (Norway) and rubbish second seeds (Ukraine) 

Edited by 2426255
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2021 at 20:09, Les Cabbage said:

Definitely, that pretty much sums it up.

Look, I’m not making out like he’s the second coming of Maradona but he would without a doubt be in the squad and a brilliant option to change a game for us.

Obviously even in 2018 when McLeish told him to pick Australia no one could have imagined him turning out this good but it was still a failing from McLeish (one of many) to show a total lack of foresight.

I think his reasoning was that we had a dearth of attacking options which sums it up.

I think you have summed it up well, at the time it wasn't clear that Souttar or Boyle were big losses (and Australia might have thought the same about Dykes). But players can have very different trajectories - it isn't FM where players stop developing at 24/25.

I suspect Nisbet is in the squad for as much as what he could be as what he is, and let's hope it's more Dykes and less Goodwillie.

I think it will be Nisbet and Che Adams against Moldova.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2021 at 21:50, ancientnoise said:

I don't think that's entirely true.

Seems to me he had a clue enough to see a fast cross coming into the box and made contact with it. Getting the touch is more important than the defender getting there first.

Getting across the near post is something Martindale mentioned Livi worked on a lot with Lyndon. Scored a lot of goals for us from that position and a good few of his goals since have been from that near post run

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Getting across the near post is something Martindale mentioned Livi worked on a lot with Lyndon. Scored a lot of goals for us from that position and a good few of his goals since have been from that near post run

So Scotland fans should be thanking Livingstone and David Martindale? 

Edited by 2426255
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So Scotland fans should be thanking Livingstone and David Martindale? 
1) that wasn't my point, I was merely mentioning something I'd heard in relation to the topic
2) it's Livingston not Livingstone, we're in Scotland not Zambia
3) Livi certainly had a big hand in his development so, yes...part of Scotland's success recently is down to the work Martindale did with Lyndon. It's also partly down to the work Stephen Dobbie did with him at QoS and the partnership he's forged with Charlie Austin at Queen's Park
4) Go back to bed ya crabbit bastid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...