Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Dykes played in goal for QPR tonight. A man of many talents. 

Fancies himself a bit in goal. Occasionally played in there in training for us in his younger days, I think in his schooldays in Australia he occasionally played in goal, he certainly played a lot of rugby so his handling skills are decent. Throughout his time with us he was the designated "emergency" goalkeeper if we needed to put an outfield player in goal. Never happened at first team level but it may have when he was with the Reserves for a year.

All that said, he played about 60 seconds in goal last night with Begovic being sent off in the 92nd minute. I'm not even sure he touched the ball!

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

All that said, he played about 60 seconds in goal last night with Begovic being sent off in the 92nd minute. I'm not even sure he touched the ball!

What I'm reading is that he has a 100% record.

On 05/10/2023 at 09:18, Skyline Drifter said:

Being slightly more fair it was closer to 10 minutes - but I also have no idea if the ball went anywhere near him!

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Being slightly more fair it was closer to 10 minutes - but I also have no idea if the ball went anywhere near him!

A chunk of that 10 minutes was taken up by them deciding who was in goal, getting him in a shirt and Begovic giving him his gloves on the way off, plus the stramash around the actual red card in the first place. I didn't see the game live but I don't think there was all that much actual gametime. He faced the free kick from the red card decision but I don't know if it was on target or not. Not a clue if he had anything else to do. I just assumed nothing terribly relevant or we'd have seen it in highlights. There was plenty of coverage of him actually taking the gloves.

Did youse see the madness in Genoa on Saturday when both Milan and Genoa had their keepers sent off in injury time? Genoa brought their sub goalie on, but Milan had used all their subs so Olivier Giroud went in goal and saved his team in a one-on-one with a Genoa striker. 

I can't abide Milan, but I love big Giroud.

• 1 month later...

This came up from looking at our press against Spain. Lyndon Dykes was basically doing the work of covering two players (Laporte and Rodri) I think those kind of qualities (Physicality, decision making, positioning etc) are always undervalued with strikers in favour of on the ball stuff (goals) and so thought it was worth highlighting. That's only from the first 20 minutes of the game. 

In the that same period he was pretty shit at holding the ball up and anything with the ball, but defensively he did well you have to say.

https://streamable.com/1qtg7d?src=player-page-share

It includes a bit from the coaches voice wit Sean Dyche as there are similarities in the idea even with differences in execution.

Edited by 2426255

9 hours ago, TeeMan said:

He was always good at that side of the game, it was visible at Queens when he did a lot of defensive work for Dobbie.

It was always notable in that 18/19 season in particular, the one where Monkey Tennis claims his presence wasnt all that relevant to Dobbie getting 43 goals, you would come in after matches where Dobbie had scored 2 or 3 goals and all the opposition management and directors wanted to talk about was how good Dykes was and they had no answer to him. He was bullying defences at that level, and even on the ones he didnt directly set up he was taking one or two defenders away and leaving the gaps for Dobbie to exploit.

That infamous Ayr game where we won 5-1 and Dobbie scored 4 and missed a penalty, Dykes was the clear Man of the Match and absolutely dominated Ayr. In the playoffs Dobbie destroyed Montrose in 45 mins at Palmerston but it was Dykes who battered Raith in the final, ragdolling their backline in the 1st leg that we really should have won by 4 or 5.

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That infamous Ayr game where we won 5-1 and Dobbie scored 4 and missed a penalty, Dykes was the clear Man of the Match and absolutely dominated Ayr. In the playoffs Dobbie destroyed Montrose in 45 mins at Palmerston but it was Dykes who battered Raith in the final, ragdolling their backline in the 1st leg that we really should have won by 4 or 5.

We would have done, had he been a better finisher.

The Ayr game, I'll give you.  Otherwise, It's that wild overstatement again.