Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Can't see why Che Adams starts ahead of Dykes IMO. Dykes brings far far more to the team. His scoring record for Scotland is fairly unmatched by most in the squad. 

I agree, but every time I've seen us play with Dykes against decent opposition, they clearly don't fear Dykes' ability to run in behind, so their backline pushes right up, we sit deeper and deeper, and we end up pinging everything at Dykes head while he's completely on his own on the half way line.

I don't see this as a Dykes problem as such though, more that the team shits the bed and can't seem to grasp that playing the same way they do with Adams on the pitch is still entirely possible. I was infuriated on Wednesday with the clear plan to cycle the ball wide and get crosses into the box when we had no presence in the box whatsoever. The two headers that Adams fluffed before he left the pitch summed up the folly of that approach. Playing like that with Dykes on the pitch makes sense, but not with Adams. 

TBH I'm still at a loss as to why Adams starts ahead of Dykes, because I don't particularly care what each of them does at club level. There's only one of them that is effective at playing as a lone striker for Scotland while still offering a goal threat, and it isn't Adams. The problems the team runs into while Dykes is on the pitch aren't caused by Dykes himself, they're a result of 'ooh a big guy up front' thinking. The same thing happened when we played Duncan Ferguson. Everything got launched through the air for no particular reason and with no particularly intelligent thought behind it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Honest question, WTF are you talking about?

Unless I'm mistaken and it was a different Livi poster, this guy was calling for Alan Forrest to be picked ahead of Stuart Armstrong the other night, and then arguing for Dykes ahead of Adams.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Unless I'm mistaken and it was a different Livi poster, this guy was calling for Alan Forrest to be picked ahead of Stuart Armstrong the other night, and then arguing for Dykes ahead of Adams.

Alan Forrest ahead of Armstrong is farcical though. Dykes ahead of Adams is a legitimate take on a coin flip decision and doesnt warrant piss taking.

I too am biased but Dykes' return in a Scotland shirt is a bit better than Adams' for me. They bring similar but slightly different attributes.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’d pick Adams ahead of Dykes but both are very decent options given how we set up. Let’s not start  both though. 

I'm not sure why this has suddenly been ruled out either. They are perfectly capable of starting together and did so in our draw at Wembley in the Euros, our win in Vienna, etc. 

Depending what midfielders are available and the relative form of Christie and Armstrong there is no reason they cant play together. The recent re-emergence of Stuatt Armstrong as a starter is basically why they arent, not any particular failure of the partnership per se.

Dykes should play against minnow countries where we want to be putting a lot of crosses into the box, but Adams most of the time.

Scotland tend to resort to a long ball game when Dykes is on the park because he doesn’t track back like Adams does, so we are a man short in midfield. 

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm not sure why this has suddenly been ruled out either. They are perfectly capable of starting together and did so in our draw at Wembley in the Euros, our win in Vienna, etc. 

Depending what midfielders are available and the relative form of Christie and Armstrong there is no reason they cant play together. The recent re-emergence of Stuatt Armstrong as a starter is basically why they arent, not any particular failure of the partnership per se.

Yes they are perfectly capable of playing together. It’s my opinion that we tend to get outnumbered in midfield when we play that way. 

Playing 3 games in 6 days, it makes perfect sense to rotate. Bringing dykes in against the lower level opposition especially given his additional physical presence against a side that is a threat from set pieces

I don't think Dykes was the reason that we started so poorly yesterday but you do get the feeling that Adams is far more capable of dragging us up the park with his pace and power in behind. We tend to revert to long high balls with Dykes in the side which isn't his fault but still very much an issue

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes they are perfectly capable of playing together. It’s my opinion that we tend to get outnumbered in midfield when we play that way. 

I think I prefer the set up as it was last night also, and have no issue with picking between Lyndon or Adams as circumstances dictate, but the idea being perpetuated that they cannot and must not both play is plainly utter nonsense.

Adams stock is high at the moment. He is playing for Southamption, a level above Lyndon, has scored a few goals recently, played well against Ukraine, etc. Lyndon hasn't had a whirlwind start to the season, at least in terms of goalscoring, although QPR have started reasonably well and he's started most of their games. Only one goal though.

But Dykes overall Scotland record is better (8 in 23 compared to 5 in 21) and he was scoring in 4 straight internationals a year ago until suspension lost him his place. His goals have tended to be far more crucial than Adams too. Adams only goal that impacted a result was a 1-0 friendly win over Luxembourg. The only ones of Lyndon's 8 that were not crucial to the result were the two on Wednesday night v Ukraine.

If I have to choose between them I'd pick Dykes more often than not. Although I expect Adams to start on Tuesday.

19 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Absolutely wasn't me :D ffs. Forrest is a one trick pony; he just cuts inside and shoots. He was caught on to quick enough at the end of last season. 

I thought the people suggesting that were taking the piss but if not then deary me

Edited by ATLIS