Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

13 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I'm loving the big fella, and I don't want to come across as a foaming virgin here... but...

... In his interview tonight he referred to Scotland as "them" consistently. I found that a wee bit deflating. I know it really only matters how he plays for Scotland, but it kind of spoils the picture a bit. A wee search on YouTube confirms he has felt Australian all the way really. Not surprising, given his background... Just tarnishes the imagery a wee bit.

13 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

He's referred to Scotland as "us" and "we" in plenty of interviews, he sings the national anthem before kickoff. If he didn't "feel scottish" he wouldn't have chosen to play for us. He's not the most polished with the media but I've noticed him improving slightly. Listening back to some of his early interviews as a Livi player and it's night and day already. As a player he's got the potential to improve even more and that's the most exciting thing. Genuinely can see him playing in the EPL and being a fair success.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

‘When I picked Scotland I wanted to become a hero with them and achieve things with them’

He was talking from his point of view before he had joined the squad.  His language makes absolute sense.  You are looking for something that is not there.

Yeah, there needs to be an appreciation of context here. Lyndon was born in Australia and lived his first 18 years there (and went back for another year after first coming here and getting homesick). His sister competed, and won Gold, at the Commonwealth Games for Australia. His parents are both Dumfries born but there's little doubt he considered himself Australian when he arrived here and definitely still did when he broke into our first team squad. He's always had a UK passport as well as an Aussie one though.

Over time it's become clear his life is here now. He's become a father, his son was born in Dumfries. He got married here. His wider family are here. The ties to Scotland have become more solid. He absolutely considers himself Scottish now. He's very single minded. Once the commitment was made, he's Scottish and that's that. I doubt it was an easy decision but it will have been made with no looking back.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

‘When I picked Scotland I wanted to become a hero with them and achieve things with them’

He was talking from his point of view before he had joined the squad.  His language makes absolute sense.  You are looking for something that is not there.

Mibbes.

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, there needs to be an appreciation of context here. Lyndon was born in Australia and lived his first 18 years there (and went back for another year after first coming here and getting homesick). His sister competed, and won Gold, at the Commonwealth Games for Australia. His parents are both Dumfries born but there's little doubt he considered himself Australian when he arrived here and definitely still did when he broke into our first team squad. He's always had a UK passport as well as an Aussie one though.

Over time it's become clear his life is here now. He's become a father, his son was born in Dumfries. He got married here. His wider family are here. The ties to Scotland have become more solid. He absolutely considers himself Scottish now. He's very single minded. Once the commitment was made, he's Scottish and that's that. I doubt it was an easy decision but it will have been made with no looking back.

Thanks for that - I didnt know all those details. 

52 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This demonstrates well how nationality isn’t simple for all of us. This is an issue with a certain section of Scotland fans with their “you are either Scottish or not and you should always know that attitude” This is largely prevalent on the TAMB. 

This demonstrates well how nationality isn’t simple for all of us. This is an issue with a certain section of Scotland fans with their “you are either Scottish or not and you should always know that attitude” This is largely prevalent on the TAMB. 
Absolutely, it's nuanced and completely subjective.

I couldn’t care less how he sees himself. If he keeps on scoring goals for Scotland he can sing Waltzing Matilda during the national anthem, have a huge tattoo of Steve Irwin on his chest and drive to games in a great big Joe Mangle-style ute while blasting out AC/DC on the stereo.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I couldn’t care less how he sees himself. If he keeps on scoring goals for Scotland he can sing Waltzing Matilda during the national anthem, have a huge tattoo of Steve Irwin on his chest and drive to games in a great big Joe Mangle-style ute while blasting out AC/DC on the stereo.

Tbf this wouldn’t make a Hampden rendition of FoS sound any worse, even if you miked him up.

I remember telling my Australian boss that Dykes was the most successful Aussie sportsman of all time.

Although he didn't explicitly agree I could tell he kent the score. Also confirmed Dykes has virtually no profile in Australia.

Did agree a massive, square headed guy with tattoos was a stereotypical Aussie.

12 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

I remember telling my Australian boss that Dykes was the most successful Aussie sportsman of all time.

Although he didn't explicitly agree I could tell he kent the score. Also confirmed Dykes has virtually no profile in Australia.

My Aussie pal thinks they got the better deal in the swap deal that saw Souttar and Boyle sign for Australia.

27 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

His sister Hollie is probably more famous in Australia, although with his current run and success with QPR that may now be changing.

20 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Steve Irwin on one pec, Harold Bishop on the other. Rips the shirt off and bears his chest to the crowd after every goal.

29 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

My Aussie pal thinks they got the better deal in the swap deal that saw Souttar and Boyle sign for Australia.

The quality of the games Australia play is shown by the fact that Souttar has 6 goals in 9 games for Australia, but only 7 in 131 at club level.

A 6’7” centre half is going to score for fun against Chinese Tapei and Nepal.

40 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The quality of the games Australia play is shown by the fact that Souttar has 6 goals in 9 games for Australia, but only 7 in 131 at club level.

A 6’7” centre half is going to score for fun against Chinese Tapei and Nepal.

You mean Taiwan

23 hours ago, ICTChris said:

To be fair AC/DC are Scottish