Lyndon Dykes

edinabear

Was listening to Off The Ball on Saturday before the game and Stuart Cosgrove, who I consider slightly more apt than his partner was giving Dykes absolute pelters, didn’t rate him this that and every other derogatory description of a striker unable to score goals??? Correct me if I’m wrong but is he not the first Scottish striker to score in four consecutive games since 1973. Cmon Stuart, get a humble pie looked out👍

2 hours ago, Jack_Jarvis said:

Was listening to Off The Ball on Saturday before the game and Stuart Cosgrove, who I consider slightly more apt than his partner was giving Dykes absolute pelters, didn’t rate him this that and every other derogatory description of a striker unable to score goals??? Correct me if I’m wrong but is he not the first Scottish striker to score in four consecutive games since 1973. Cmon Stuart, get a humble pie looked out👍

Was it not 1969?

I don't think he'll ever play in the Premier League but he's done better for us and QPR than I thought he would. He's had some really tough spells for both sides, and the fact they never seem too far away might hold him back, but all it takes is for one to go in and he gets back on track.

I sometimes wonder what would've happened if McBurnie's header against Mexico went in.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

I don't think he'll ever play in the Premier League but he's done better for us and QPR than I thought he would. He's had some really tough spells for both sides, and the fact they never seem too far away might hold him back, but all it takes is for one to go in and he gets back on track.

I sometimes wonder what would've happened if McBurnie's header against Mexico went in.

He’d still be shite.

He’s only 26 so probably has another 7-8 years left. If he can keep up the current momentum he could easily become our top marksman of the 21st century if not all time (He needs another 12 goals to catch Kenny Miller and 24 to catch Law and Dalglish, who fittingly share the record)

24 minutes ago, Donathan said:

He’s only 26 so probably has another 7-8 years left. If he can keep up the current momentum he could easily become our top marksman of the 21st century if not all time (He needs another 12 goals to catch Kenny Miller and 24 to catch Law and Dalglish, who fittingly share the record)

Quite something to see Dykes and Dalglish mentioned together but at the moment he certainly looks capable of overhauling Miller and given nobody else looks to be coming through that will help.

He's on a good run at the moment and it doesn't matter how you get them, they all count so long may it continue when he returns.

I always tend to think guys with Dykes playing style, who rely heavily on their athleticism and strength, don’t tend to age very well. You don’t often see big 35 year old target men still performing at the same level as they did when they were 25.

That said, he’s definitely improving at the moment. He has another big move in him.

41 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I could see a mid-to-bottom EPL side taking a punt on him if he keeps playing well for QPR. He's obviously a bit hot & cold in terms of form but he's just complete chaos up front and we need that in this time.

From what I've seen it doesn't seem like him & Christie are particularly great together. Christie gets in the way of McGinn and on a couple of occasions last night had yards of space in front of him to go and get a cross in but opted to try and cut inside where the Faroes had everybody behind the ball. 

22 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I could see a mid-to-bottom EPL side taking a punt on him if he keeps playing well for QPR. He's obviously a bit hot & cold in terms of form but he's just complete chaos up front and we need that in this time.

This.

Burnley were reportedly keeping tabs on him towards the end of last season when there was speculation Chris Wood was going to West Ham. A Sean Dyche team would be a good move for him. QPR are on the fringes of the promotion chase too. A playoff spot isn't beyond them, though I'd suspect automatic promotion probably is.

23 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

From what I've seen it doesn't seem like him & Christie are particularly great together. Christie gets in the way of McGinn and on a couple of occasions last night had yards of space in front of him to go and get a cross in but opted to try and cut inside where the Faroes had everybody behind the ball. 

I agree, the Adams partnership has potential but it also isn't there yet. So far the best Dykes partner has been Ryan Fraser IMO

I was gonna refer to Serbia when folk criticised the Dykes-Christie partnership but Christie wasn't that great that night. They were decent together in Israel but Christie's decision making was incredibly annoying.

Dykes has nuisance value as a big athletic boy who can put himself about.  He has absolutely maximised his potential and is currently enjoying some good fortune.

Talk of him scoring stacks more goals to challenge the totals of Dalglish and Law is the very definition of laughable.

There are plenty of distinctly average strikers who've found a home in the Premier League.  I can't see any reason why Dykes can't succeed there, or at least be given a chance.  It would be helpful if QPR could get promoted as that shortcuts the whole process.

With respect to his goalscoring prowess, he has 6 in 20 which would have him on 21+ by the time he hit 69 caps (Kenny Miller), who scored 18.  Obviously, that's subject to some statistical variation, but his hit rate is only behind Boyd, McFadden, Fletcher, and McGinn from the last 20 years (and both McGinn and Fletcher have had the benefit of San Marino/Gibraltar).

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

McGinn will probably get to about 20ish so he might have him to catch too.

13 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I'm loving the big fella, and I don't want to come across as a foaming virgin here... but...

... In his interview tonight he referred to Scotland as "them" consistently. I found that a wee bit deflating. I know it really only matters how he plays for Scotland, but it kind of spoils the picture a bit. A wee search on YouTube confirms he has felt Australian all the way really. Not surprising, given his background... Just tarnishes the imagery a wee bit.

‘When I picked Scotland I wanted to become a hero with them and achieve things with them’

He was talking from his point of view before he had joined the squad.  His language makes absolute sense.  You are looking for something that is not there.