Nathan Paterson

Any time I have seen Patterson (limited in all fairness) he has looked absolutely class. If Everton are buying potential instead of the current article, then Rangers should really be looking for somewhere north of £10 million.

Also, he should be starting for us. Ralston and Rooney are also far better options than SOD at this point in time. 

Need to stop with this Ralston nonsense. He’s not good enough. Neither is Rooney actually. Rather have Aaron Hickey at right than this pair. O’Donnell is limited but up until the Euros, he’d been okay in a Scotland shirt. Probably should be the back up option for until someone better comes along.

2 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Need to stop with this Ralston nonsense. He’s not good enough. Neither is Rooney actually. Rather have Aaron Hickey at right than this pair. O’Donnell is limited but up until the Euros, he’d been okay in a Scotland shirt. Probably should be the back up option for until someone better comes along.

As long as O’Donnell gets a game there will always be suggestions of any right back in form tbh. I think O’Donnell was playing league 2 down in England at Ralstons age. I must add I have got nothing against O’Donnell and the criticism he gets on here is ridiculous at times.

As far as Anthony Ralston is concerned: Question asked. Question answered. It's pretty obvious the squad has come too early for him and it's really just a fine example of how fickle fans are given how despised he was by many Celtic fans. It would have concerned me deeply if Steve Clarke had called up Anthony Ralston, and his reasoning for not including him was logical and sensible. 

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

How did he do last night?

Posted this at during the first half last night, and it didn't really change much in the second. I don't think he has looked all that great defensively when he's actually been tested (mainly in Europe).

Watching Patterson again tonight, he really is a very naive defender, getting caught out of position a lot and going after balls he can't win. Excellent going forward though, great dribbler, very direct and gets himself into really good attacking positions.

Quite similar to O'Donnell in terms of being much better going forward than back, which I suppose suits our wing-back role anyway.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Posted this at during the first half last night, and it didn't really change much in the second. I don't think he has looked all that great defensively when he's actually been tested (mainly in Europe).

Watching Patterson again tonight, he really is a very naive defender, getting caught out of position a lot and going after balls he can't win. Excellent going forward though, great dribbler, very direct and gets himself into really good attacking positions.

Quite similar to O'Donnell in terms of being much better going forward than back, which I suppose suits our wing-back role anyway.

If it were up to you, who would you start against Denmark out of Patterson and O'Donnell?

I think O'Donnell should start the two away games and Patterson against Moldova. O'Donnell is very dogged defensively even if he's not good, and I think he is a better out ball as an aerial threat which could be useful if we get hemmed in and Gordon or the defence need to go long. Patterson is clearly more likely to beat a man or score a goal, but I'm not sure that will be the type of player we'll need in Denmark or Austria.

Based on what I saw last night, I'd be worried about Patterson completely ignoring his defensive duties - there were a couple of occasions where Alashkert had counter-attacks and he was just jogging back. Had the opponents not been pretty rubbish that could have cost them goals.

I appreciate most people will disagree with me on this.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I think O'Donnell should start the two away games and Patterson against Moldova. O'Donnell is very dogged defensively even if he's not good, and I think he is a better out ball as an aerial threat which could be useful if we get hemmed in and Gordon or the defence need to go long. Patterson is clearly more likely to beat a man or score a goal, but I'm not sure that will be the type of player we'll need in Denmark or Austria.

Based on what I saw last night, I'd be worried about Patterson completely ignoring his defensive duties - there were a couple of occasions where Alashkert had counter-attacks and he was just jogging back. Had the opponents not been pretty rubbish that could have cost them goals.

I appreciate most people will disagree with me on this.

Based on the squad that’s been selected I think O’Donnell will start. My big fear is that he throws in the type of performance he’s had for Motherwell of late. He was awful at McDiarmid Park a couple of weeks ago going forward and back,m. Fortunately that generally hasn’t happened for Scotland.

Patterson obviously has enormous potential and if he lives up to it, he’ll be the first pick very soon. But it’s very difficult to pick a guy who barely gets a game for his club and who does look defensively fragile. We might get away with that at home to Moldova, but away to Denmark will be a completely separate story.

• 4 weeks later...

I get that Clarke won't want to change the squad too much and there might be a degree of recency bias to this, but surely we're reaching the stage where Ramsay should be in ahead of Patterson ? I don't think there's much between the two and they play the position in a similar fashion, however when you've got two top prospects in the same position does it not make sense to go with the one who's playing football? 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Ramsay is probably a better option right now, more senior appearances under his belt, and I think he has more strings to his bow as a player in general. His crossing is superb and he's a better defender than Patterson.

Would rather have hickey than ramsay

15 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I get that Clarke won't want to change the squad too much....does it not make sense to go with the one who's playing football? 

I'm very much in favour of continuity and I expect Nathan Patterson to be selected in the next two squads, but to keep his place for March/June he needs to be playing more football. 

To everyone's surprise, Celtic fans in general have now fully turned on Ralston and are saying he shouldn't be near their squad, never mind the starting line up.