Nathan Paterson

20 hours ago, Captain Saintsible said:

We really need to have Ralston or Ramsey in the team against Ukraine

O’Donnell is hopeless 

Agreed the closest O'Donnell should be getting to the squad is as a paying fan, miles off the standard now.

But we have Hickey playing on the right in Serie A against the top Italian teams. Currently he's a better bet than Ramsey or Ralston. Probably Patterson too.

Hickey and Patterson are completely different and it would change how we play quite a bit.

You could imagine Hickey playing neat interchanges with McGinn and Gilmour but he isn't gonna stretch teams and cause the same disruption that Patterson does. I think it would make us much easier to defend against and there'd be much less of a crossing threat from the right, but Hickey might be able to find McGinn on the turn a bit more (although his forward passing on his right foot wasn't good the other night).

He's clearly a better footballer than O'Donnell but Ryan Christie's a better footballer than McGinn and we all agree the latter's our best option in his position.

Just now, accies1874 said:

Hickey and Patterson are completely different and it would change how we play quite a bit.

You could imagine Hickey playing neat interchanges with McGinn and Gilmour but he isn't gonna stretch teams and cause the same disruption that Patterson does. I think it would make us much easier to defend against and there'd be much less of a crossing threat from the right, but Hickey might be able to find McGinn on the turn a bit more (although his forward passing on his right foot wasn't good the other night).

He's clearly a better footballer than O'Donnell but Ryan Christie's a better footballer than McGinn and we all agree the latter's our best option in his position.

Im not sure why it would, if anything hickey is the one who is proven he can play to instructions. So he could do what was asked of him.

I thought he was very direct and attacking when he came on for us recently. And showed hes got alot stronger and faster.

And no I don't agree that christie is a better footballer than Mcginn either.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

they don't exactly play the same position

The position they have played lately has been the same on different sides for Scotland lately. The role both of them played against Poland was as close as you'll get to identical - holding up and linking play down the left and right respectively.   

Ryan Christie and John McGinn may have different strengths and weaknesses, but the role and position they played was remarkably similar. - in the same way that Tierney and McTominay or Gilmour and McGregor play in mirror image positions with similar roles albeit performed a little differently depending on individual strengths/weaknesses etc.

Edited by 2426255

52 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Tom Delonge Reaction GIF

22 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

The position they have played lately has been the same on different sides for Scotland lately. The role both of them played against Poland was as close as you'll get to identical - holding up and linking play down the left and right respectively.   

Ryan Christie and John McGinn may have different strengths and weaknesses, but the role and position they played was remarkably similar. - in the same way that Tierney and McTominay or Gilmour and McGregor play in mirror image positions with similar roles albeit performed a little differently depending on individual strengths/weaknesses etc.

Fair points that I don't really disagree with but I'd argue McGinn has more versatility and his strengths are stronger than Christie's. McGinn can play anywhere from holding midfield forward and play well, Christie is a forward who does well linking midfield and attack. I like both players and they both bring quality to our squad but McGinn is a definite starter when everyone is fit, I don't think Christie is. 

Fair points that I don't really disagree with but I'd argue McGinn has more versatility and his strengths are stronger than Christie's. McGinn can play anywhere from holding midfield forward and play well, Christie is a forward who does well linking midfield and attack. I like both players and they both bring quality to our squad but McGinn is a definite starter when everyone is fit, I don't think Christie is. 
Both are very good but far from identical players. McGinn has, as well as tricks and finesse, all the dirty stuff - the dig and nous that mean he can play in deeper midfield or up front. Most of all he brings a presence that Christie doesn't.

18 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Agreed, Ryan Christie is not in the small group of definite starters (unlike John McGinn).

Christie looked to have fallen down the pecking order somewhat with Che Adams joining the National team, but he has been pushed to the front of the queue because of Lyndon Dykes injury and maybe also Stuart Armstrong's injury after the Euros.

I'm not sure what Steve Clarke will do if the squad is all fully fit - perhaps since we've started our last four games with one striker we will look to continue that in June. 

17 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Agreed, Ryan Christie is not in the small group of definite starters (unlike John McGinn).

Christie looked to have fallen down the pecking order somewhat with Che Adams joining the National team, but he has been pushed to the front of the queue because of Lyndon Dykes injury and maybe also Stuart Armstrong's injury after the Euros.

I'm not sure what Steve Clarke will do if the squad is all fully fit - perhaps since we've started our last four games with one striker we will look to continue that in June. 

We are light in midfield with 2 strikers and 3 centre halfs

That's why Croats totally overran us

Would welcome 1 up front with 1 off and if Tierney injured reverting to 2 centre halfs to load the midfield which is undoubtedly our strongest area 

Although not sure tactical flexibility will be way Clarke will go