Nathan Paterson

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

You haven't? This is pretty standard course for the cheeks. Either a young player coming through is immediately Scotland's next 'insert playing position here' or a player that has played regularly for one of the other sides for a while suddenly has enough credibility to be called up after half a dozen games for one of them.

Especially when Stephen O'Donnell is the regular in the position

If there was a regular established right back then I would tend to agree that it's a bit too early but o'donnell isn't great and I'm not sure if palmer is still an option. Patterson has played under 21s as well, so has a bit of experience in that respect. 

13 hours ago, Rodhull said:

You haven't? This is pretty standard course for the cheeks. Either a young player coming through is immediately Scotland's next 'insert playing position here' or a player that has played regularly for one of the other sides for a while suddenly has enough credibility to be called up after half a dozen games for one of them.

That's my point, m8. 😊

On 14/03/2021 at 18:12, printer said:

Never seen anything like this before. A young player makes a few appearances for one of the cheeks, does OK playing for a side that is dominant nearly every game and there's an irrational clamour for him to start for Scotland. 90% of said players go on to have careers ranging from ordinary to decent.

100%. Just waiting for someone to start touting Welsh from Celtic next. 

On 14/03/2021 at 20:44, edinabear said:

If there was a regular established right back then I would tend to agree that it's a bit too early but o'donnell isn't great and I'm not sure if palmer is still an option. Patterson has played under 21s as well, so has a bit of experience in that respect. 

Patterson 10 senior appearances to his name.  Ten.  TEN.

Anyone who thinks he should be called up needs their head checked.

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Gareth Bale made his debut for Wales 40 days after his Southampton debut.

Norman Whiteside was an ever present as he helped Northern Ireland reach the World Cup quarter final in 1982 after just 1 appearance for Man United. 

Edited by Baz Chuckle

7 hours ago, Baz Chuckle said:

Gareth Bale made his debut for Wales 40 days after his Southampton debut.

Norman Whiteside was an ever present as he helped Northern Ireland reach the World Cup quarter final in 1982 after just 1 appearance for Man United. 

Stephen Crainey and Maurice Ross are a pretty strong counter argument

9 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Billy Gilmour has about 8 but I don't think anyone would've grumbled had he been called up. I reckon Clarke is showing a bit of loyalty to the likes of Palmer for helping us get to the Euros but I expect after that Patterson will come into the picture.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Billy Gilmour has about 8 but I don't think anyone would've grumbled had he been called up. I reckon Clarke is showing a bit of loyalty to the likes of Palmer for helping us get to the Euros but I expect after that Patterson will come into the picture.

The obvious response to that is that Gilmour isn't playing for a dominant team in a weak league, and has demonstrated himself to be perfectly at home playing with, and against, world class players - and those senior games straddle two seasons.

Gilmour also has substantial experience at u21 and below national level.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

Just now, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The obvious response to that is that Gilmour isn't playing for a dominant team in a weak league, and has demonstrated himself to be perfectly at home playing with, and against, world class players - and those senior games straddle two seasons.

The reason is our absolute derth of quality at right back. Thats why he's being touted. 

I'd have preferred to see him called rather than palmer.

3 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

My point is the number of games a player has played isn't really here nor there if they're good enough. We don't have a lot of options in Patterson's position and he's had some decent games for the best team in Scotland and in European ties. 

Patterson has played for Scotland at every age group level as well, albeit not as much as Gilmour. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I'd have moaned if Gilmour was called up tbh.  He's not played anywhere near enough this season.  It's also a strong area of the team.

But Gilmour is at a far better team and has been excellent for u21s etc generally.  He's not a reserve rb who'll be back out the team as soon as Tavernier is fit

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I'd have moaned if Gilmour was called up tbh.  He's not played anywhere near enough this season.  It's also a strong area of the team.

But Gilmour is at a far better team and has been excellent for u21s etc generally.  He's not a reserve rb who'll be back out the team as soon as Tavernier is fit

If Tavernier was Scottish he would walk into our team.

So he's being kept out by a guy who would easily be our best right back.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah, and he'll be a reserve for a significant period so we've actually no much to go on as to whether he's actually any good and might well not get to see him as a regular player for years.  I didn't think he had a good game against Slavia, he was all over the place first half.  He's also never played rwb, which isn't the same as playing rb.

I hope he does kick on, cause we need all the players we can get but if he'd had 6 league games for Hibs he'd not be getting a look in

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Did Gilmour not get sent off in one of his rare u - 21 outings ?

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Yeah, and he'll be a reserve for a significant period so we've actually no much to go on as to whether he's actually any good and might well not get to see him as a regular player for years.  I didn't think he had a good game against Slavia, he was all over the place first half.  He's also never played rwb, which isn't the same as playing rb.

I hope he does kick on, cause we need all the players we can get but if he'd had 6 league games for Hibs he'd not be getting a look in

You make a good argument to be fair.

Im kind of hoping rangers sell tavernier just so he can become a regular.

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

You make a good argument to be fair.

Im kind of hoping rangers sell tavernier just so he can become a regular.

Rangers play 60 games a season. Patterson isn’t ready for that kind of physical load at 19 - Celtic nearly ruined Tierneys career by doing that.