Nathan Paterson

Thought he was Everton's best player in the first half, but there was a while in the second where he was wobbling and started making wrong decisions which could've cost them a couple of times. Thankfully he managed to compose himself towards the end, albeit not with his chance.

It was a tough game with Harrison always looking to stay wide and stretch Everton but I think he mostly did well, plus McNeil did a really good job of protecting him. It's a shame he's been forward about twice in the games I've seen this season but that's the nature of playing in a poor team. Big, big task on Saturday.

Fair to say he got through the task well.

He reminded me of how Robertson approached (and probs still does) those massive games. Constant intensity but looked like he enjoyed every second.

Playing on the edge like that will bring mistakes - he's also still young with not much football under his belt - but he's already got people talking due to how well he's done.

• 2 weeks later...

*caveat that West Ham were crapola*

As a full-back, his ability to open the field up is so important. Can receive the ball in the wide area and quickly play clever, unexpected passes inside that gets the team out of pressure. Can also dribble to the same effect.

He's not the attacking force he has been for Scotland, but he's becoming a well-rounded right-back very quickly and had a crucial tackle to save Coady's bacon right at the end.

Already looks well at home in the Premier League.

His attitude is what sets him apart, very much like Robertson and Tierney with his complete fearlessness. I still have doubts about him defensively, but that number 2 jersey has to be his for these games regardless of the other options available in the squad.

29 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He's been our first choice RWB for a year now, it's just transpired that availability issues have ruled him out of quite a few games. Unless he gets injured, I don't see how he doesn't start against Ukraine on Wednesday.

When was the last time a healthy/non-suspended Patterson was left out of a competitive game?

Couldn’t agree more that he will start. 

When was the last time a healthy/non-suspended Patterson was left out of a competitive game?

Couldn’t agree more that he will start. 
Faroe Islands in October, but he then came on to provide the cross for the winner. Before that it was the Euros.

(not counted June as he was still recovering from his injury)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

He's given away a goal a game for Everton since he returned from his injury but he's still a key Scotland player. With Hickey injured (unsure when he'll return), Ramsay out of the picture (but might still get an appearance in the cup) and Ralston perhaps slipping further behind in the Celtic pecking order depending on what happens with Juranovic, this could become a problem position again in March.

Hickey is back in training I think, albeit won’t walk back into a Brentford team doing very well without him. 

Patterson should be fit within 11 weeks too. No need to worry. 

Ramsay sadly isn’t quite at the Tsimiskas stage of being the clear deputy at Liverpool. A loan in January wouldn’t be a bad outcome. 

On 04/01/2023 at 11:36, Paco said:

Hickey is back in training I think, albeit won’t walk back into a Brentford team doing very well without him. 

Patterson should be fit within 11 weeks too. No need to worry. 

Ramsay sadly isn’t quite at the Tsimiskas stage of being the clear deputy at Liverpool. A loan in January wouldn’t be a bad outcome. 

I think they are talking about him coming back in the cup game against West Ham on Saturday. I guess it depends how he does but from what I see the Brentford fans saying, he probably does come back in quite quickly, they seem to feel they miss him quite a lot. 

• 7 months later...

I hope this comes back to bite me, but he really looks like he needs a loan - highly unlikely it's this summer though. Since his injury against Ukraine last year, he's been absolutely honking and I'm not sure Dyche will continue to trust him in a relegation battle. You can live with defensive mistakes if there's at least an attacking upside, but he offers Everton nothing in the final third and I honestly think his forward pass completion must be about 0%. 

I have faith that he can come good in the right environment as we've all seen how good he can be - this current Everton side probably isn't it though.

I don't think you'll find many people arguing against you on that one @accies1874. I'm sure everyone is a fan of his however at this moment in time, I don't think we are seeing the best version of him. A run of game and a break in fortunes may just been the key, he's maybe even the kind of lad that just needs to feel wanted and given time, and Clarke may now see Hickey as his first choice Right Back, who knows, I suppose time will tell but I'm not convinced that Everton is the right place for him at the moment.

58 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I hope this comes back to bite me, but he really looks like he needs a loan - highly unlikely it's this summer though. Since his injury against Ukraine last year, he's been absolutely honking and I'm not sure Dyche will continue to trust him in a relegation battle. You can live with defensive mistakes if there's at least an attacking upside, but he offers Everton nothing in the final third and I honestly think his forward pass completion must be about 0%. 

I have faith that he can come good in the right environment as we've all seen how good he can be - this current Everton side probably isn't it though.

Yeah - you don’t see a single part of what makes him look like a player with so much potential in the Scotland side. Everton are obviously shambolic though, and have no clue what they are attempting to do going forward so that doesn’t help.