Nathan Paterson

It's definitely getting there. I was referring to circa 2001 when Celtic and Rangers had a maximum of 2 Scots per game. And the likes of Dundee and Hearts were riddled with foreigners as well. We're not quite that bad, yet, but it looks like it's just around the corner.

Worth a read, higher % of non-Scots in recent years than there ever has been previously.

11 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Think benetiz already hates him ...on bench then Coleman comes off and some other guy goes on at right back.

Just had a wee peek and Mina (the fella who came on) is a centre back. Sounds like they're going with a back three?

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Just had a wee peek and Mina (the fella who came on) is a centre back. Sounds like they're going with a back three?

I didn't see the game but my guess would be that the versatile Ben Godfrey would move across to right-back.

Benitez had two genuine right-backs on the bench (Kenny who was rotten at Celtic being the other) but chose to bring on bombscare Mina.

It seems that Rafa has lost the plot and possibly the dressing room too. I thought that he was a good choice but it's gone wrong.

I didn't see the game but my guess would be that the versatile Ben Godfrey would move across to right-back.
Benitez had two genuine right-backs on the bench (Kenny who was rotten at Celtic being the other) but chose to bring on bombscare Mina.
It seems that Rafa has lost the plot and possibly the dressing room too. I thought that he was a good choice but it's gone wrong.
You've lost the plot

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Think benetiz already hates him ...on bench then Coleman comes off and some other guy goes on at right back.

I would say it's the norm now for new players not to be thrown in straight away.

Look at how long Sancho, Fabinho, Robertson etc. Took to bed at their new clubs.

Probably for the best he stayed on the bench for that one anyway....

14 hours ago, accies1874 said:
19 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

You've lost the plot

You're post implies he had "the plot" to begin with? 

35 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Neither of the new full-backs are in the squad. Hopefully just a minor injury or something.

No reports of them being injured. 

Ferguson has made a statement by picking Kenny and Godfrey has his full-backs. 

Coleman is on the bench so Patterson appears to be his third choice RB.

He has brought in Mina to replace Keane and dropped Gordon too. Ruthless!

Edited by Bishop Briggs

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

And they've got beat. f**k them

Indeed.

A shambles of club with horrible supporters.

I wish Duncan Disorderly a Speedy exit.

13 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Third choice RB 😅

It's very rarely that new signings get thrown straight into a team anymore and thrive (and even less rare in January with Bruno Fernandes the exception to the rule).

Football at the highest level has become far more tactially intensive in the last few years, even elite players like Robertson, Fabinho etc. took 6 months to a year to bed in to a new team. Sancho and Grealish are going through the same thing now.

Add in that Paterson has came from a completely different league and doesn't have that many senior games I suspect the plan was to use him sparingly for the rest of the season whilst he gets used to how Everton play.

Ferguson made a statement dumping the likes of Coleman and Keane who have been terrible all season, he put Kenny in (who I think it out of contract) and probably didn't want to risk Patterson having a shocker like the new Ukrainian fb did.

In the next two years I'm very confident that Patterson will make more appearances than Coleman and Kenny. Maybe even more than them combined.

10 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Third choice RB 😅

It's very rarely that new signings get thrown straight into a team anymore and thrive (and even less rare in January with Bruno Fernandes the exception to the rule).

Football at the highest level has become far more tactially intensive in the last few years, even elite players like Robertson, Fabinho etc. took 6 months to a year to bed in to a new team. Sancho and Grealish are going through the same thing now.

Add in that Paterson has came from a completely different league and doesn't have that many senior games I suspect the plan was to use him sparingly for the rest of the season whilst he gets used to how Everton play.

Ferguson made a statement dumping the likes of Coleman and Keane who have been terrible all season, he put Kenny in (who I think it out of contract) and probably didn't want to risk Patterson having a shocker like the new Ukrainian fb did.

In the next two years I'm very confident that Patterson will make more appearances than Coleman and Kenny. Maybe even more than them combined.

At Norwich and Hull, Benitez started Coleman with Patterson and Kenny on the bench. 

Against Villa, Ferguson started Kenny, benched Coleman (club captain) and left Patterson out of the squad. He knows the squad very well and made his preferences clear.

To put your last comment in context, Coleman is 33 out out of contract next year. Kenny is out of contract at the end of this season and can negotiate with other clubs. 

The reality is that Patterson was Gerrard's second choice at Rangers and will have to fight to get on the bench at Everton. I hope he succeeds but he will have to prove to the new manager that he can cut it in the EPL.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Anyone who thinks Kenny is a better player than Patterson needs their heads examined. Patterson hasn't played a huge amount of football this season so he was always unlikely to be thrown straight in, but he'll be Everton's first choice right back on the first day of next season guaranteed, which was presumably always their plan. 

5 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Anyone who thinks Kenny is a better player than Patterson needs their heads examined. Patterson hasn't played a huge amount of football this season so he was always unlikely to be thrown straight in, but he'll be Everton's first choice right back on the first day of next season guaranteed, which was presumably always their plan. 

Aye. The championship is about his level right now

Everton are fighting to not get dragged into the relegation fight, so Patterson won’t start a PL game as a debut, they can’t afford to be too experimental right now.

I think it’s a shame the Hull game was only a day or two after he came in as I could see him getting a few cup games to get off the mark. I suspect he’s more of a longer-term project as he needs to improve his defending a bit.

Everton are fighting to not get dragged into the relegation fight, so Patterson won’t start a PL game as a debut, they can’t afford to be too experimental right now.
I think it’s a shame the Hull game was only a day or two after he came in as I could see him getting a few cup games to get off the mark. I suspect he’s more of a longer-term project as he needs to improve his defending a bit.
On the contrary, they need to be experimental now ..or they will go down. Their so called established players have lost interest