Nathan Paterson

9 minutes ago, Tartan Blood said:

It's not surprising at all that the costs of players have gone up. It's surprising that Rangers are breaking transfer records for a youth player with very little experience.

I'm not disagreeing with Rangers selling him for that amount of money. They'd be crazy to turn that down for someone that will have almost no impact on the first team. I'm just shocked Everton are willing to spend so much to get him. 

As someone below mentioned, the success of Robertson, Tierney and McGinn will have contributed to Premier League clubs being open to signing young Scots.

But I don’t think it’s that surprising when the record was only £9m.

£16m is a good chunk of cash for Everton, but they’re buying a player with rare physical traits for a 20 year old and a true X-factor - his dribbling ability is pretty unique for a full back and is more important than ever in a league where pressing is king. He has things to work on, but they’re very coachable.

No doubt that the profile of Scottish players has been raised recently by those you mention. With performance school players coming to the fore now, I’d expect that to continue.

4 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

You make it sound like giving youth a chance is a burden. Imagine being able to play your best youths for a few years and doubling their value instead of letting them go at the first whiff of a profit.

I genuinely think Patterson could go on to have a similar career trajectory to Tierney. The big difference being, Celtic got 3 solid years out of him and £25m. I'm sure right now it seems like great business, but in hindsight in a few years it probably won't.

It’s not a burden, it’s the ideal situation for any club to be in. However, despite no Rangers fan wanting to see Patterson go, it’s obviously a deal that benefits the club more than keeping him does at this particular moment in time. 

Fully agree with what you said about him potentially having a similar career trajectory as Tierney, have said the exact same thing myself.

42 minutes ago, G51 said:

But I don’t think it’s that surprising when the record was only £9m.

£16m is a good chunk of cash for Everton, but they’re buying a player with rare physical traits for a 20 year old and a true X-factor - his dribbling ability is pretty unique for a full back and is more important than ever in a league where pressing is king. He has things to work on, but they’re very coachable.

No doubt that the profile of Scottish players has been raised recently by those you mention. With performance school players coming to the fore now, I’d expect that to continue.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you. I think it'll appear to be a good deal for everyone involved. I'm just shocked it has happened. Hopefully this is a sign that Scotland will now be getting fair sums for their talents. Aberdeen and Hibs could point to this transfer when negotiating for Ramsay and Doig, for example.

You'd have to assume Everton, along with most top teams will be doing more than just watching his highlights. They'll have assessed all his attributes and know they can turn him into a huge talent. The 5 and a half year deal certainly indicates he is someone they have a lot of faith in.

Great to see Rangers getting a decent price for Patterson. That should strengthen the resolve of other Premiership teams to ‘accurately’ price their assets.

It was reported - fairly widely - that Brexit would cause English teams problems, as outwith home nations and Irish players, foreign players must now have greater pedigree* than what was previously available (*work permits operate on a points system where nationality, league, international caps, and club-level international involvement all score points).

There’s a very good Guardian football podcast with one of the developers of Football Manager, who seem to have the best grasp of the system.

Clearly, something has to give. Scotland will now be a more (relatively speaking) attractive hunting ground for English clubs, so there should be benefits for the league and the national side. 

In addition, it was also reported last month that the SPFL will continue to have a specific exemption for work permits, where Scottish sides don’t need to achieve the same level of scoring to secure work permits for foreign players. That should also help with attracting players, as well as greater attention from EPL clubs providing a bigger pathway to career development.

48 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Great to see Rangers getting a decent price for Patterson. That should strengthen the resolve of other Premiership teams to ‘accurately’ price their assets.

It was reported - fairly widely - that Brexit would cause English teams problems, as outwith home nations and Irish players, foreign players must now have greater pedigree* than what was previously available (*work permits operate on a points system where nationality, league, international caps, and club-level international involvement all score points).

There’s a very good Guardian football podcast with one of the developers of Football Manager, who seem to have the best grasp of the system.

Clearly, something has to give. Scotland will now be a more (relatively speaking) attractive hunting ground for English clubs, so there should be benefits for the league and the national side. 

In addition, it was also reported last month that the SPFL will continue to have a specific exemption for work permits, where Scottish sides don’t need to achieve the same level of scoring to secure work permits for foreign players. That should also help with attracting players, as well as greater attention from EPL clubs providing a bigger pathway to career development.

It'll undoubtedly help the national team. If they are given fair money for the Scottish players, great, and then are able to bring in European talent that England can't, even better.

However, that does make me think we could see the return of Scottish teams riddled with foreign talent instead of Scottish. On the flip side, the standard of player may go up and might strengthen the SPFL. And if the best Scots are being nurtured in state of the art facilties down south, then that's a win-win.

Good move for the lad, great money for Rangers and Everton potentially have a gem on their hands. Seems to be a fair deal all round.

Selfishly, i am looking at this from a Scotland point of view. He needs game time. Will Everton loan him out, or keep him around the club for the next 6 months to gauge him for next season potentially?

54 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Selfishly, i am looking at this from a Scotland point of view. He needs game time. Will Everton loan him out, or keep him around the club for the next 6 months to gauge him for next season potentially?

Doesn't always mean anything but giving him #3 suggests to me they see him playing this season. There's also not a lot of strength in depth at RB for them, a 50 year old Seamus Coleman (who played LB on Sunday) and Jonjoe Kenny are his competition. 

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is what P&B used to be more like, rather than the current weird situation of just having threads for each individual club.

Instigated by Mr X (or whatever the f**k name he goes by now) deciding to sap the life out of the forum by locking or merging anything that wasn’t a match or club specific thread.

12 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Instigated by Mr X (or whatever the f**k name he goes by now) deciding to sap the life out of the forum by locking or merging anything that wasn’t a match or club specific thread.

Wasn't sure who it was, but definitely I have no idea why the thread from the Premiership forum discussing the transfer of a Premiership player had to be merged into the Scotland forum. We could maybe just stop having subforums and just start a big thread called "Football" where everyone posts everything simultaneously.

Everton need to improve their scouting, they could have saved themselves 15.8 million and bought the apparently superior Stephen O'donnell.

Wonder why they didn't just buy both 🤔 

*Every red dot here is someone embarrassed at how wrong they were

Edited by BingMcCrosby

On 04/01/2022 at 21:05, Tartan Blood said:

However, that does make me think we could see the return of Scottish teams riddled with foreign talent instead of Scottish. 

The return? The Premiership is probably as bad as ever when it comes to the low number of Scots in starting elevens.

4 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The return? The Premiership is probably as bad as ever when it comes to the low number of Scots in starting elevens.

It's definitely getting there. I was referring to circa 2001 when Celtic and Rangers had a maximum of 2 Scots per game. And the likes of Dundee and Hearts were riddled with foreigners as well. We're not quite that bad, yet, but it looks like it's just around the corner.

Football is much more globalised than ever before now. There might be slightly fewer Scottish players in our top flight, but a lot of that is because the good ones leave early to go to foreign leagues, usually but not always in England.