Nathan Paterson

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I only caught the highlights and there were three cracking crosses from Fraser. The one for McGinn's header was pinpoint. Probably a better cross than Paterson's assist as the defender could have done better with it. It's not like it was the first cross of the night with any purpose. Just the first one that was finished. 

The difference for me was the pace at which the cross was hit. All of Frasers crosses, whilst mainly were good deliveries, were either floated or chipped in, meaning we really had to direct the shot or increase the power to make sure it was a goal (McGinn's chance a prime example, he got a good connection on it but not enough pace on the ball to take it past the keeper, had to direct it more in order to score). Patterson put two crosses in at about 100mph and they only needed a touch to turn them goalwards. I don't think Fraser had a bad game but it's clear he doesn't enjoy playing there and Patterson seems to absolutely revel in it.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The difference for me was the pace at which the cross was hit. All of Frasers crosses, whilst mainly were good deliveries, were either floated or chipped in, meaning we really had to direct the shot or increase the power to make sure it was a goal (McGinn's chance a prime example, he got a good connection on it but not enough pace on the ball to take it past the keeper, had to direct it more in order to score). Patterson put two crosses in at about 100mph and they only needed a touch to turn them goalwards. I don't think Fraser had a bad game but it's clear he doesn't enjoy playing there and Patterson seems to absolutely revel in it.

In theory Fraser should do well at RWB against teams he doesn't need to do much defending against but having him starting from so deep nullifies his best attributes. I understand the reasoning for him starting but he'd be fifth choice for me back there. The idea that Patterson is a surefire starter and a game changer after a cameo v Faroes is as daft as the folk saying he shouldn't be in the squad for his shitey performance v Israel. For some reason the RWB position has absolutely no middle ground of opinion. 

15 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

For some reason the RWB position has absolutely no middle ground of opinion. 

I said that on Monday, totally agree.

On 11/10/2021 at 13:03, 2426255 said:

That's another stinking binary point of view. I think it's clear that both players have there place in the squad and add value in different ways.

It's more because they want their own club's player in there instead really. Certainly so for the 'Well and Aberdeen fans.

That is probably the case for every position on the pitch. I’d say both sets of fans would have a valid case to say their player should be in there as there clearly isn’t much between the options we have.

To say it’s some kind of anti-Rangers issue is ridiculous and is typical of the mentality that seems to surround some Rangers fans and the national team/Scotland support. I don’t think it’s wrong to question whether Patterson should be in the team given his lack of playing time and a couple of shaky displays, although he has looked good going forward.

SOD.thumb.png.1e82a90755eb7ce14694ff7c2e6c7733.png

How I get them. Patterson rated higher defensively but just because he seems to be a far better at dispossessing players directly than SOD, Ramsay is too. SOD more reliable in terms of winning aerial balls and not giving away fouls, so can see why he seems to be better defensively, but the two young guns will overtake him pretty soon. Both young guns give you more attacking threat in terms of taking players on, and Ramsay in particular gives you a huge threat from his set play deliveries, Patterson more of an individual threat so far.

Nothing really insightful there, but based on those SOD is first choice as hes well balanced while the other two are flawed, but once they start to iron those out with experience then it'll be a straight shoot out between Patterson/Ramsay with SOD relegated to 3rd choice at best. Interesting that Ramsay hasn't played that many more senior minutes than Patterson in the last "calendar year".

Just now it rates it as Patterson -> SOD -> Ramsay.

Edited by RandomGuy.

That is probably the case for every position on the pitch. I’d say both sets of fans would have a valid case to say their player should be in there as there clearly isn’t much between the options we have.

To say it’s some kind of anti-Rangers issue is ridiculous and is typical of the mentality that seems to surround some Rangers fans and the national team/Scotland support. I don’t think it’s wrong to question whether Patterson should be in the team given his lack of playing time and a couple of shaky displays, although he has looked good going forward.
I think some Scotland fans (mostly from the North East) can have it in for Rangers players. There were a couple of examples behind me at the Israel game who called Patterson a lazy c**t because he didn't get the ball when it was in amongst the crowd, were going on about how slow he is (wtf lol) and were furious that he had to let McTominay take throw-ins (the outside CB regularly takes them lads).

This is probably the most prominent example but you regularly hear folk airing club biases at Scotland games. It's completely embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I think some Scotland fans (mostly from the North East) can have it in for Rangers players. There were a couple of examples behind me at the Israel game who called Patterson a lazy c**t because he didn't get the ball when it was in amongst the crowd, were going on about how slow he is (wtf lol) and were furious that he had to let McTominay take throw-ins (the outside CB regularly takes them lads).

This is probably the most prominent example but you regularly hear folk airing club biases at Scotland games. It's completely embarrassing.

wow, was not aware of that - disappointing to be honest, not surprising. Can't stand club biases from fans of the National team.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I think there's always going to be some for of disdain towards Rangers players in the national set up from some, and I think that'll be mainly down to the "unique" relationship between some Rangers fans and the SFA/Tartan Army. Now due players competing for places it adds a little to it, certainly in the Patterson debate.

12 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Which is more reasonable for Motherwell fans in this case really. Aberdeen fans are getting far too ahead of themselves with Ramsey to be honest.

30 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Which is more reasonable for Motherwell fans in this case really. Aberdeen fans are getting far too ahead of themselves with Ramsey to be honest.

He'll get his chance.  If their birthdates and debuts had been reversed, it would be Ramsay in a Scotland shirt right now.  A lot of international and stalwarts within their national teams can thank happy accidents of timing for their careers.  How many Scottish left backs have lost debuts and caps because they were unfortunate enough to have a career at the same time as Robertson and Tierney?

If Tierney and Robertson were right backs, SOD might never have got a game.  If Gordon had never suffered his awful injuries, he could be on 100+ caps and McGregor and Marshall would be footnotes.  The same goes for Darren Fletcher, and the caps awarded when he was unavailable.

That's how international football works - sometimes the planets align for you, and sometimes against you. In otherwise identical performances and careers, but in different times, that could be the difference of a handful of starts, or 50 caps.  It's not unfair, it's just football.

Patterson was in first, has shown himself to be at least adept at this level, and shows great promise.  Switching relatively untested players about for each camp is something you can only do on Championship/Football Manager.  It doesn't work in real life. 

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

but nothing new

Cracking ball for the winner against the Faroes. 

I thought he was pretty poor against Israel. Wasn't as good as usual going forward and struggled defensively. Hindsight is wonderful but at the time I thought SoD should have been playing against Israel with Patterson in v the Faroes.

Until he can sort out the defensive side of his game I think there's a lot less balance to the team when Robertson is on the left and Patterson on the right.

On 13/10/2021 at 00:06, 8MileBU said:

When it’s International week, most folk just need to try a bit harder to briefly forget that Patterson plays for Rangers. It really is that simple. 

I think it’s the opposite problem tbh, in that he doesn’t really play that much for them. As long as SOD is in the squad and/or Patterson isn’t getting regular first team then there will always be claims for others like Ramsay etc to be in a squad.

Edited by gannonball

12 hours ago, gannonball said:

I think it’s the opposite problem tbh, in that he doesn’t really play that much for them. As long as SOD is in the squad and/or Patterson isn’t getting regular first team then there will always be claims for others like Ramsay etc to be in a squad.

I think you pick your best players and for me Patterson is the best RB for the formation Scotland play. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/10/2021 at 11:22, gannonball said:

Ralston is getting Europa League football surely he has to favoured over Ramsay who hasn't even established himself strongly in the under 21 team yet,because the campaign has just started?

Edited by General dissaray