Nathan Paterson

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Despite being a Hertz man - I can't remember if Aaron Hickey can play on either side at the back, or only on the left? Still only 19, strutting it in Serie A, and bagged his second goal of the season against Lazio last weekend.

Ridiculous he isn't even in the squad.

Did he not pull out of an international squad this week?

I thought he was absolutely hopeless in the first half, like a child playing alongside men. However, he stuck at it and was good in the second half.

Agree, looked out of his depth in the first half but contributed to us bossing the second half.

I’m not sure how sustainable it is picking a team full of actually good footballers but it certainly worked in the second half.

18 hours ago, Elixir said:

Despite being a Hertz man - I can't remember if Aaron Hickey can play on either side at the back, or only on the left? Still only 19, strutting it in Serie A, and bagged his second goal of the season against Lazio last weekend.

Ridiculous he isn't even in the squad.

Hickey can play anywhere across the back line and is fairly comfortable in centre midfield too, all positions he played for at Hearts, several times albeit playing centre back was only briefly a couple of times during matches following substitutions. One of the most two footed players I’ve seen in a long time and for me a better player than several in the squad.

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Why wasn't Tony Ralston called up. 👀

Pish?

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Hickey can play anywhere across the back line and is fairly comfortable in centre midfield too, all positions he played for at Hearts, several times albeit playing centre back was only briefly a couple of times during matches following substitutions. One of the most two footed players I’ve seen in a long time and for me a better player than several in the squad.

Pish?

Several? C’mon...

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Aye - glad I wasn't just imagining him playing at right back as well as left back. He is clearly a more accomplished player than Patterson at this stage.

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Aye - glad I wasn't just imagining him playing at right back as well as left back. He is clearly a more accomplished player than Patterson at this stage.

Is he though? 

Both can be poor defensively, Hickey better on the ball but Patterson with far more athleticism for driving forward is potentially fair. 

29 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Several? C’mon...

Yes of course the majority were at left back but it’d be foolish to ignore or discredit when he’s played other positions and done fairly well in them.

27 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Yep and did well such is the benefit of how comfortable he is on either foot. Also why it’s worth glossing over blinkered stats men like below who seem overly keen to discredit Hickey as a viable option before he’s been given an opportunity. 

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hickey has a total of four career games at right-back, all of them around 3 years ago.

Righto. It doesn’t even need confirmation that all you’ve done there is look up how many games he started at right back. 

Edited by 8MileBU

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Yes of course the majority were at left back but it’d be foolish to ignore or discredit when he’s played other positions and done fairly well in them.

Yep, did do a few times and did well such is the benefit of how comfortable he is on either foot and ignoring blinkered irrelevance such as the post below.

Righto. It doesn’t even need confirmation that all you’ve done there is look up how many games he started at right back. 

I meant who are the several players Hickey should be in the squad instead of...

He may be able to play RB btw, although it’s still to be shown but he absolutely cannot play CB - he is built like a child and would be completely bullied. He has some serious work to do athleticism wise. 

I thought Patterson replacing O'Donnell against Croatia was a kind of passing the torch thing (either consciously or otherwise from Clarke) but then he had issues last month so we didn't get to see if that panned out, however he's now started the two games they've both been available for since. Maybe he is the first choice now?

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I meant who are the several players Hickey should be in the squad instead of...

He may be able to play RB btw, although it’s still to be shown but he absolutely cannot play CB - he is built like a child and would be completely bullied. He has some serious work to do athleticism wise. 

He is the same height and of similar build to Kieran Tierney. 

Just now, 8MileBU said:

He is the same height and of similar build to Kieran Tierney. 

He is maybe a similar build to what Tierney was when he broke through at Celtic, but doesn’t have anything like the same aggression/physicality in his game that Tierney had. 

I’m assuming you aren’t trying to say that Hickey and Tierney are currently the same physically, as that would be fucking ludicrous. Hopefully Hickey undertakes the same style of strength and conditioning programme that Tierney did.