Nathan Paterson

Celtic have had a good run at producing players for the national team but it seems to be drying up a but now. Probably unlucky with Mikey Johnston who if could stay fit would probably be capped by now. Don't see who else they have coming through though that potentially could make it, Welsh is okay, Montgomery may struggle to get a game for the U21s

On that, a lot of folk on here saying the quality of the current U21s isn't as high as previous sides. I'm not too sure about that. They could have and maybe should have beaten Turkey away from home last game with a team made up of Scottish based players only. Be interesting to see how they got on against the Danes at Tynecastle with a few of the English based boys joing this time round

21 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

In the same world where Rangers get credit for Gilmour - 4 years performance school, and gone at 16. I included them to give Rangers recognition for Gilmour. But you can remove him from Rangers impressive count of 4 if you want.

Edit: Robertson left Celtic at around 15. Hendry left Celtic at 16. O'Donnell left at 19. Gallagher left at 20. If they don't count then Gilmour definitely doesn't count.

Giving Celtic any credit for Andy Robertson when they deemed him not good enough at 15 seems a little perverse. 

31 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Giving Celtic any credit for Andy Robertson when they deemed him not good enough at 15 seems a little perverse. 

Likewise, including O’Donnell who joined Celtic at 17 after 8 years at Aberdeen, then left 2 years later to start his actual career. 

37 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I don't really, I just wanted to include Gilmour to give Rangers a bit of credit. Didn't he leave Rangers just days/weeks after he turned 16? Obviously he wasn't deemed surplus to requirements, like Robertson, but a lot of his development has been the result of the 4 years at the performance schools and at Chelsea.

Anyway, if you want to exclude Gilmour, then Rangers only had Patterson and Fleck as players they developed in the Euros squad. (Neither of which were/have become regulars at Rangers.) And McLaughlin was signed as their backup keeper. 

If you exclude O'Donnell and Robertson from Celtic, that's still 11-3. It really should be more balanced than that.

The point could be debated for some while, but it’s been disappointing - purely on a numbers basis - how few Scottish players even play for Rangers, irrespective of their route to senior football.

Of note, there are 8 capped players in the match day squads in the Aberdeen-Celtic game today, 5 of which are in the home side. 3-5 more have a decent prospect of getting a cap at some point.

Beyond Patterson, do Rangers have any Scottish prospects right now? (And Scott Wright doesn’t count)

19 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The point could be debated for some while, but it’s been disappointing - purely on a numbers basis - how few Scottish players even play for Rangers, irrespective of their route to senior football.

Of note, there are 8 capped players in the match day squads in the Aberdeen-Celtic game today, 5 of which are in the home side. 3-5 more have a decent prospect of getting a cap at some point.

Beyond Patterson, do Rangers have any Scottish prospects right now? (And Scott Wright doesn’t count)

I'd be keen to know the answer to your previous question: "How many Celtic developed players compared to Rangers in the last decade?". 

Patterson is by far the best prospect they've had in years, and he may even slip through their fingers and leave, if rumours of bids are to be believed.

12 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

Anyway, if you want to exclude Gilmour, then Rangers only had Patterson and Fleck as players they developed in the Euros squad. (Neither of which were/have become regulars at Rangers.) And McLaughlin was signed as their backup keeper. 

If you're going to give Celtic credit for developing players who played in their youth teams then surely Rangers deserve the same for Grant Hanley, Greg Taylor, Kenny McLean and Lewis Ferguson ?

Edited by Super_A

Martin Compston was on Aberdeen’s books as a youngster. I think it’s fair to say the Dons played a big part in Line of Duty’s success.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

Martin Compston was on Aberdeen’s books as a youngster. I think it’s fair to say the Dons played a big part in Line of Duty’s success.

Good joke, but I thought he was a morton youth was he not?

*Edit 

Wikipedia suggests we deserve the bulk of the credit for his acting career

Edited by BingMcCrosby

3 hours ago, Super_A said:

If you're going to give Celtic credit for developing players who played in their youth teams then surely Rangers deserve the same for Grant Hanley, Greg Taylor, Kenny McLean and Lewis Ferguson ?

As I said, I don't give Celtic credit for developing the likes of Robertson or O'Donnell, for the same reason I don't give Rangers credit for Gilmour. I just mentioned those 3 in the interest of fairness, and to boost Rangers number.

I wasn't aware Hanley or Taylor were on the books at Rangers! Good bit of trivia. But regarding Ferguson and McLean, I was only talking about the Euros squad, which is why I didn't include them.

I would be curious to see what the overall figures are over the last decade for Celtic and Rangers though.

4 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:

I would be curious to see what the overall figures are over the last decade for Celtic and Rangers though

I would bet on it being no where near what it should be, and there in lies the exact problem for the national team. All our best youth players generally play for the Old Firm, all excel at youth level until they hit the age of 18-19 where their peers at Motherwell, Hearts, Hibs Dundee Utd etc start playing first team football and overtake them. The Old Firm lads start to get a couple of loans here and there but it's no where near enough in comparison and sometimes a different club is not the right environment for the style of play they have learned at Rangers or Celtic. It is so difficult for Old Firm youth players to progress into those first teams and get a run of games not just cameos here and there

A fairly okay 90 minutes for Patterson yesterday. Our play benefitted from the red card so we never really got to see much of him defensively though.

The good: Got forward very frequently and linked up well on the right hand side with the likes of Hagi, Lundstram and Aribo. He looks comfortable in hitting the byline and he flashed a couple of dangerous looking crosses into the box but nothing came of them. Had a decent effort on goal that was blocked but his best moment was obviously the ball in for Roofe's header.

The not so good: He tended to play the ball inside to Goldson and Lundstram too often for my liking. A few times it looked like he could get beyond Doig and link further up with Morelos or Hagi but he opted for the "safe" option. Additionally, he was blowing in the final 10 minutes. Probably a symptom of lack of game time and having to get up and down the pitch all day, but he needed to get one of those wee energy pouches thrown on to him from the bench. That seemed to see him through until the final whistle.

A solid if unspectacular showing but good for him to get 90 minutes under his belt.

11 hours ago, tartanbrush said:

I would bet on it being no where near what it should be, and there in lies the exact problem for the national team. All our best youth players generally play for the Old Firm, all excel at youth level until they hit the age of 18-19 where their peers at Motherwell, Hearts, Hibs Dundee Utd etc start playing first team football and overtake them. The Old Firm lads start to get a couple of loans here and there but it's no where near enough in comparison and sometimes a different club is not the right environment for the style of play they have learned at Rangers or Celtic. It is so difficult for Old Firm youth players to progress into those first teams and get a run of games not just cameos here and there

You're absolutely right. Even more damning is that Rangers spent a large portion of the last decade in the lower leagues, which would have been prime time to nurture young talent. Besides that being bad business for Rangers themselves, it obviously hasn't done the national team any favours. I'm struggling to think of any young talent that Rangers developed during that time that went on to win caps. I'm genuinely interested in hearing some names. Say, 2010 onwards.

I don't want to bash Rangers only because, as you say, the numbers for Celtic are probably lower than they should be as well.