Nathan Paterson

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Rangers play 60 games a season. Patterson isn’t ready for that kind of physical load at 19 - Celtic nearly ruined Tierneys career by doing that.

Good point and part of the reason why I don't think he's ready now.  Rangers could have rotated Tavernier out far more often with the lead they've had if Patterson was really chapping at the door.

Clearly a talented boy so fingers crossed for him

49 minutes ago, G51 said:

Rangers play 60 games a season. Patterson isn’t ready for that kind of physical load at 19 - Celtic nearly ruined Tierneys career by doing that.

I wasn't suggesting he should play 60 games a season.

Im sure if rangers sold tavernier they would buy another right back. Or promote one if they have one. Rather than go with 1 right back.

10 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Stephen Crainey and Maurice Ross are a pretty strong counter argument

If someone is good enough then they should be in the team regardless of how many club appearances they have made.

The fact that previous Scotland managers mistakenly thought that Crainey and Ross were good enough is neither here nor there.

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Billy Gilmour has about 8 but I don't think anyone would've grumbled had he been called up. I reckon Clarke is showing a bit of loyalty to the likes of Palmer for helping us get to the Euros but I expect after that Patterson will come into the picture.

Showing my age here. 

Ally McLeod’s mistake in 1978 was showing loyalty to certain players who helped us qualify and ignoring the emerging talent, 

In saying that, the guys McLeod ignored were proven players in England’s top flight and on the European stage!

4 minutes ago, Baz Chuckle said:

If someone is good enough then they should be in the team regardless of how many club appearances they have made.

The fact that previous Scotland managers mistakenly thought that Crainey and Ross were good enough is neither here nor there.

And how do we know Patterson isn't another Maurice Ross?  He's started 2 league games against St Mirren and Livingston, getting a game because 2 other players were injured.  It's hardly a strong evidence base

I also watched him play very poorly for the 21s at home to Croatia, so I might be being overly cautious but for me he's completely unproven.

3 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

And how do we know Patterson isn't another Maurice Ross?  He's started 2 league games against St Mirren and Livingston, getting a game because 2 other players were injured.  It's hardly a strong evidence base

I also watched him play very poorly for the 21s at home to Croatia, so I might be being overly cautious but for me he's completely unproven.

I have no idea if Patterson is good enough. That’s up to the manager judge. I’m fairly certain that Patterson has played in plenty of other matches other than first team games in order for his ability to be judged.  

He may well be no better than Ross but my point was that a lack of club games does not mean that a player isn’t good enough to play for Scotland. Plenty of shite players with loads of experience have been capped as well. 

7 minutes ago, Baz Chuckle said:

I have no idea if Patterson is good enough. That’s up to the manager judge. I’m fairly certain that Patterson has played in plenty of other matches other than first team games in order for his ability to be judged.  

He may well be no better than Ross but my point was that a lack of club games does not mean that a player isn’t good enough to play for Scotland. Plenty of shite players with loads of experience have been capped as well. 

Fair enough, and if an 18 yo comes in and looks absolutely sensational,  after being clearly a cut above at youth levels then I'm not against call-ups at all. 

I just don't think that's the case with Patterson.

13 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Fair enough, and if an 18 yo comes in and looks absolutely sensational,  after being clearly a cut above at youth levels then I'm not against call-ups at all. 

I just don't think that's the case with Patterson.

Patterson has been a cut above at youth levels at Rangers for a long time.

Scot Gemmill decided to move him to RW to accommodate Ross McCrorie at RB for some reason. I would pay almost no attention to how players perform in the U21’s as they’re managed by a complete clown.

55 minutes ago, G51 said:

Patterson has been a cut above at youth levels at Rangers for a long time.

Scot Gemmill decided to move him to RW to accommodate Ross McCrorie at RB for some reason. I would pay almost no attention to how players perform in the U21’s as they’re managed by a complete clown.

In fairness I'm talking about youth levels for the country rather than a youth league which is completely unbalanced.  He's not really been first choice for Scotland at any level and not stood out in the way someone like Gilmour has.

About the last part, I completely agree.  Gemmill is hopeless and tbf so is Billy Stark at 19s.

17 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

The whole Patterson thing is being seen as the next Alan Hutton, but it has Gregg Wylde/Anthony Ralston written all over it.

I hope I'm wrong, but not yet unconvinced.

Don’t really get the Tony Ralston comparisons tbh, other than the usual lazy stuff about them both being right backs at Old Firm clubs. 

Patterson is playing well in the knockout stages of European football aged 19. At the same age, Tony Ralston was playing in a struggling Dundee Utd side that couldn’t get out of the Championship.

I think it’s an extremely lazy comparison.

2 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

In fairness I'm talking about youth levels for the country rather than a youth league which is completely unbalanced.  He's not really been first choice for Scotland at any level and not stood out in the way someone like Gilmour has.

About the last part, I completely agree.  Gemmill is hopeless and tbf so is Billy Stark at 19s.

He’s clearly the best RB prospect Scotland has. Not being first choice doesn’t mean much when the coach chooses the players positions by picking them out of a hat. Reminder that this is the guy that played Allan Campbell as the advanced midfielder while Turnbull sat on the bench.

Patterson has yet to show he can even cope with playing regularly at club level, so shouldn't be shoved into the Scotland squad yet.

If he's as good as Rangers fans all say, then he'll reach the squad through merit before long. Until then let him develop at his own pace.

39 minutes ago, G51 said:

Don’t really get the Tony Ralston comparisons tbh, other than the usual lazy stuff about them both being right backs at Old Firm clubs. 

Patterson is playing well in the knockout stages of European football aged 19. At the same age, Tony Ralston was playing in a struggling Dundee Utd side that couldn’t get out of the Championship.

I think it’s an extremely lazy comparison.

Playing, not playing well.

36 minutes ago, G51 said:

He’s clearly the best RB prospect Scotland has. Not being first choice doesn’t mean much when the coach chooses the players positions by picking them out of a hat. Reminder that this is the guy that played Allan Campbell as the advanced midfielder while Turnbull sat on the bench.

I'm no even sure if he is.  We've got Cammy Logan at Hearts who's been outstanding at youth level and for Scotland u17/18 and is a wee bit younger.  And I have little idea what other 18-19 year olds are out there at other clubs.

He might be great, he might no be - surely at this stage it's too early to tell.