Nathan Paterson

Hard to tell what level he's at. He looked good again tonight but seems to be flying on that adrenaline young players usually have for their first handful of appearances. Hope he's the real deal but I don't see Clarke calling him up at the moment ahead of someone a bit more time-served. Hope I'm wrong.

Just now, Mr Kane and the lemon cafe said:

Disregard his age and I thought he was average/poor.    He tried to win every tackle and positionally he was either tucked in too far (as Palmer does)  or sprinting out too fast to meet the ball.   

I like him, but he was a 5/10 tonight.  

nice measured reply. cheers for this .

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

He's the real deal, and obviously the solution to our problems at RB.

He is however very young and inexperienced and raw. He also needs to develop a bit physically. 

In a couple of years he'll be outstanding, but the Euros will come far too soon for him.

superb , cheers

Got to agree that I'm not sure Patterson's performance last night was deserving of the praise he's taken from all quarters it has a whiff of people wanting him to be good and just saying that he is. He certainly has the attributes to make it but you can tell his decision making and positioning, especially defensively, is still a huge work in progress. Encouraging though and I hope he continues to get game time, especially in Europe. 

Euros are too early for him IMO.

Definitely has the potential to be our solution at RWB but even his performance tonight although he made a few good blocks, he did give the ball away a bit too much for my liking, he’s not ready yet but if he gets a run in the Rangers team next season we should start to bed him in.

Its nice to see exciting young Scottish  players coming through, just a shame they’re all bloody full backs.

11 hours ago, Mr Kane and the lemon cafe said:

Disregard his age and I thought he was average/poor.    He tried to win every tackle and positionally he was either tucked in too far (as Palmer does)  or sprinting out too fast to meet the ball.   

I like him, but he was a 5/10 tonight.  

It's a design of Rangers system that the full backs are supposed to stay in narrow when out of possession. They're more than happy to give up the big diagonal switch and leave the fullback on an island in exchange for stopping a team playing through the middle. That was especially the case for Slavia, who thrive in playing vertically, winning second balls and over-committing to the central areas causing relative chaos in that area. So I don't think staying narrow should be counted against him.

Patterson has been fine, he's flashed, we know he's going to be good, but he's still clearly inexperienced and needs time to develop his decision making, like all young players do. Clarke will have to work out whether the trade-off of living with that poor decision making in exchange for much higher upside and ability on the ball is worth it compared to O'Donnell and Palmer, who give you the reverse. I think the system mostly relies on limiting mistakes though.

My gut tells me Clarke doesn't take him to the Euros, and there's an outside chance of him getting a look in March. If he plays and does okay, then we'll see what happens. Palmer hasn't exactly set the heather alight in the last few months.

imo he’s not ready for Scotland yet but he’s clearly got a great chance of being the solution to our RB issues long-term. I say get him in there rather than pissing about with people like O’Donnell and Rooney who also aren’t ready but the difference is they won’t ever be most likely.

Would anyone argue they’re still way ahead of Patterson right now? I don’t think so personally

The Faroes are hardly the whipping boys they're made out to be - we'll have to be at our very best if we're gonna take anything away from those games. Definitely not the time or place to be testing out Greenhorns Paterson.
I really don't think we're going to have to be at our very best to draw with a team that were goal difference away from finishing bottom of a qualifying group containing Malta.

He's certainly a promising talent, if he continues to play games before the Euros, he may be considered for the squad, but I'd understand if Clarke left the Euros are too soon for him. From what he's shown so far, he'll definitely be a future RB for Scotland - no doubt about it. The longer he plays, and the further he plays in European competition would certainly help him in potential consideration, for a spot where we really aren't blessed with a lot of quality. 

I'd be disappointed if we didn't at least use the Faroes game to take a look at an alternative right back option. 

Whether that's Rooney or Patterson, or something else.

O'Donnell and Palmer are average, and have played in poor teams at a fairly poor level all season. It's worth a look at something else. 

Never seen anything like this before. A young player makes a few appearances for one of the cheeks, does OK playing for a side that is dominant nearly every game and there's an irrational clamour for him to start for Scotland. 90% of said players go on to have careers ranging from ordinary to decent.

Edited by printer

13 minutes ago, printer said:

Never seen anything like this before. A young player makes a few appearances for one of the cheeks, does OK playing for a side that is dominant early every game and there's an irrational clamour for him to start for Scotland. 90% of said players go on to have careers ranging from ordinary to decent.

You haven't? This is pretty standard course for the cheeks. Either a young player coming through is immediately Scotland's next 'insert playing position here' or a player that has played regularly for one of the other sides for a while suddenly has enough credibility to be called up after half a dozen games for one of them.