Sarah Everard

9 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

A thread devoted to attitudes towards women, numerous women reporting this happening and the first reaction is that they of course must be making it up. 

There's no reason to automatically believe that women are making up that they've been spiked. Some will almost certainly be correct; others will be mistaken without having 'made it up'. 

There is every reason not to believe that they've been spiked by some random bloke doing an Agent 47 move on them in a packed nightclub though, because it is patently ridiculous nonsense. 

HTH. 

Edited by vikingTON

The logic on this thread has taken a wild turn. 

Women are stating that they are having drinks spiked and in a few cases a small injection mark. This is neither new or original but has been going on for years and years. As much as we try to stamp it out, it still goes on. It is difficult to prove as these drugs get metabolised relatively quickly and the victim has no memory of the incident or what happens afterwards.  

But hey, they posted on social media so it must all be lies to get attention, right?

5B3.gif

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Women are stating that they are having drinks spiked and in a few cases a small injection mark. This is neither new or original but has been going on for years and years. As much as we try to stamp it out, it still goes on. It is difficult to prove as these drugs get metabolised relatively quickly and the victim has no memory of the incident or what happens afterwards.  

But hey, they posted on social media so it must all be lies to get attention, right?

What practice, specifically, has been "going on for years and years" and is "neither new or [sic] original"? 

Edited by vikingTON

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

What practice, specifically, has been "going on for years and years" and is "neither new or [sic] original"? 

Both - spiking drinks which is far more common that folk realise, and microinjections. I recall a cluster of cases in the mid-2000s that hit the news somewhere down south. Students getting targeted on nights out at the union. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Both - spiking drinks which is far more common that folk realise, and microinjections. I recall a cluster of cases in the mid-2000s that hit the news somewhere down south. Students getting targeted on nights out at the union. 

WTF is a microinjection?

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Do you really think you could inject enough GHB, say, into someone to knock them out without them noticing? And using the back of the hand? And how come nobody has ever been caught in the act?

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you really think you could inject enough GHB, say, into someone to knock them out without them noticing? And using the back of the hand? And how come nobody has ever been caught in the act?

You'd also expect there to be an online footprint of this - kits being available for sale on the dark web, weirdo forums posting guides on how to do it etc - in the modern world. Either no one reporting it has thought to investigate this or they do not exist. 

Also when did believing women go from believing women have suffered sexual violence (which we should of course do) to accepting the exact method by which they believe they were forcibly intoxicated despite there being no evidence to support it. As detournement says for now it's the 2016 clown scare all over again

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you really think you could inject enough GHB, say, into someone to knock them out without them noticing? And using the back of the hand?

It's certainly not the most discrete of methods.

slap-in-the-face-slap.gif

Edited by Hedgecutter

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You'd also expect there to be an online footprint of this - kits being available for sale on the dark web, weirdo forums posting guides on how to do it etc - in the modern world.

Give it time

As with anything that seems to be based on unverified reports spreading like wildfire on social media, I don't think you are contributing to the problem by having a degree of scepticism.

It seems like there has been limited number of these incidents likely coupled with an increase in traditional spiking of drinks.  Throw in a conservative home secretary demanding urgent answers and you have your moral panic.

2 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

It seems like there has been limited number of these incidents likely coupled with an increase in traditional spiking of drinks.  Throw in a conservative home secretary demanding urgent answers and you have your moral panic.

An Aberdeen uni student was reported having been spiked recently and the uni were fairly quick in firing out a blanket email about it on Monday (can't remember the last time I saw one about it anyway).  Thankfully the uni managed it in a decently worded way, unlike Durham uni  who got it spectacularly wrong in a (now) high profile way.  

46 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

5B3.gif

Come on man, you're better than this obtuse rubbish.

Nobody is saying that spiking doesn't happen (although I'd wager it happens far less than is reported tbqhwy) but they're calling into question the idea that people are cutting about clubs injecting people, and quite right too given the unlikelihood of it all.

Taking people seriously and compassionately is one thing, taking what they say at face value without scrutiny, and ignoring the wisdom of your own experience is irresponsible. 

1 minute ago, velo army said:

Come on man, you're better than this obtuse rubbish.

Nobody is saying that spiking doesn't happen (although I'd wager it happens far less than is reported tbqhwy) but they're calling into question the idea that people are cutting about clubs injecting people, and quite right too given the unlikelihood of it all.

Taking people seriously and compassionately is one thing, taking what they say at face value without scrutiny, and ignoring the wisdom of your own experience is irresponsible. 

I just remember a story about it when I was in Wales, that it had been happening at a student union somewhere in England. We discussed it in the department at the time as it was a student safety issue and (as you would expect) people were worried that it would happen at our Uni. I cannot for the life of me remember where I read about it otherwise I'd search for it. But the term used was "microinjection". It was seen as a step on from drinks spiking and was what worried folk. 

Never heard of it again until this news.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

As we're literally establishing right now with this story, just because something makes the news does not mean it is an authentic event. What are the police estimates for 'microinjections' as a source of spiking incidents? How many people have been charged and convicted of this act over the past 20 years?