Sarah Everard

There's no such thing as 'male culture', in the same way that there isn't a 'female culture' that all women are answerable for. You can't restore sweeping, outdated, sexist stereotypes just because it makes your argument against injustice simpler - though not actually insightful.

13 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And there's the issue right there. This is just defensiveness and denial from you. And utterly depressing and predictable that you got a raft of greenies for it too.

To deny male entitlement and culture is a thing is just plain ignorant and you do have to wonder why you would do that.

Why don't you direct that comment at the women in your life (if you have any) and see if they agree.

It's not really surprising to hear but if men like you aren't prepared to even acknowledge the problem then you cannot be part of any solution.

The police have released a video about this so it's good to see someone at least try and explain this issue.

Well worth a watch even if not everything he says is necessarily correct.

https://that-guy.co.uk/what-can-men-do-to-help-tackle-sexual-violence/

You know i very rarely agree with you, but spot on here for once!

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

You know i very rarely agree with you, but spot on here for once!

I was just thinking that virginton had achieved the impossible by making me sympathise with Oaksoft's side of an argument.

In Life, as in Politics, change will only come when those who are well served by the status quo seek to change it. Our wee cellar-dweller obviously doesn't think society has a problem with the way certain sectors of it are treated - as long as it doesn't affect him. As he's not affected one way or the other, he can carry on looking up big words and lobbing them up here to harvest greenies from the usual acolytes.

I haven't looked, but I'd wager I could name at least 5/6 of the posters who have given his latest brain fart the thumbs-up. In fact, I'll just wait until the exact same weasels come along and give me their seal of disapproval. Depressingly predictable.

One point I poorly tried to make once on here is that the feeling of safety is not a guarantee of safety. 

Absolutely women should feel safe walking home from a night out, say. But that isn't the same as being safe - the Everard case is a prime example. A woman, walking at night, sees a police officer. Probably imagined that her safety level had, if anything, gone up. We know sadly that this was not the case. 

A woman at home might feel safe, but domestic violence and domestic abuse is (to my mind) at least as great a danger to women. Living with men, being in their homes away from prying eyes - they might feel safe but could be in danger. 

I'm not sure I agree with @oaksoft that male culture - even if we can define it - is the root cause of people like Couzens acting the way they do. There are many blokish men who have very macho lives, have "banter" about women, poor attitudes and never harm women. And we have many men who are not blokish, can be very polite and respectful 99% of the time and do the most horrendous stuff to women. 

I don't have the answer. But I fear that people in power who also don't have the answer will blunder around trying stuff to be seen to be acting in the right way.

56 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

One point I poorly tried to make once on here is that the feeling of safety is not a guarantee of safety. 

Absolutely women should feel safe walking home from a night out, say. But that isn't the same as being safe - the Everard case is a prime example. A woman, walking at night, sees a police officer. Probably imagined that her safety level had, if anything, gone up. We know sadly that this was not the case. 

A woman at home might feel safe, but domestic violence and domestic abuse is (to my mind) at least as great a danger to women. Living with men, being in their homes away from prying eyes - they might feel safe but could be in danger. 

I'm not sure I agree with @oaksoft that male culture - even if we can define it - is the root cause of people like Couzens acting the way they do. There are many blokish men who have very macho lives, have "banter" about women, poor attitudes and never harm women. And we have many men who are not blokish, can be very polite and respectful 99% of the time and do the most horrendous stuff to women. 

I don't have the answer. But I fear that people in power who also don't have the answer will blunder around trying stuff to be seen to be acting in the right way.

I’ve found myself watching the advert from the police, and feeling pretty uncomfortable about my own behaviour at times.  The “blokish” point I suppose is that it sets the tone and excuses, in their minds, those who go “just a little bit further”.  If the banter is less acceptable, the next step on is clearer to everyone.

Going back to the train incident someone mentioned a few pages ago - you could see it as just banter.  It’s not though.

Not that relevant to the discussion above but I remember being in Dundee Union and my mate from Czech Republic spanked some bird’s arse as she went by. He seemed confused that this was considered unacceptable behaviour by the rest of us. He then told me that they have a festival in Czech Republic each year where all the men go door to door spanking the women’s arses (possibly with whips). Absolutely bizarre stuff.

There are many blokish men who have very macho lives, have "banter" about women, poor attitudes and never harm women. And we have many men who are not blokish, can be very polite and respectful 99% of the time and do the most horrendous stuff to women.

I think this is often overlooked in this debate. Ted Bundy was by all accounts a very charming, respectful man aside from all the murders and what not.

Of course, that doesn't mean it's okay to go around being an arsehole, but there are two unconnected problems here.

To be fair, that's not what I was saying.
I'm saying that male culture contributes to women feeling scared.
And I'm also saying that male culture prevents guys like Couzens standing out like a sore thumb.
I think men are struggling to realise that this isn't just about the likes of Couzens. It's about a more general widespread fear that men breed in women in society because of the culture men have created. I don't think most men understand that at all.
If anyone needs to understand what this male culture looks like they simply need to start asking the women in their lives about it. They'll tell you. They've been telling men for decades. We've just not been listening and assuming that because we're not all sexual perverts that somehow everything is hunky dory.
Anyway, I just wanted to pop back onto to correct that first point.

What do you say about…murder in general? As a broader topic? That’s mostly male on male; is that once again down to “male” culture or is that just down to humans as a species? With no aspect of “culture” taken into account?

What do you say about…murder in general? As a broader topic? That’s mostly male on male; is that once again down to “male” culture or is that just down to humans as a species? With no aspect of “culture” taken into account?
Either way it's still a problem with men.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:
2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Either way it's still a problem with men.

Which is fixable...how exactly? Because as I highlighted previously, this overwhelming violence has been an issue since time immemorial.