Sarah Everard

11 hours ago, MuckleMoo said:

I've never been in a fight in my life. Hopefully it stays that way, I couldn't fight to save myself.

My son got into bother in St Andrews a few weeks ago. Not long 18 he had met up with friends and were heading out for a night before heading for university. Group of middle age men started on one of the girls who were out with them. My son and his friends tried to challenge them and they were knocked to f**k. Spent a week in the hospital, son got a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain. Thankfully he appears to have made a full recovery and I'm proud for what he and his mates did. Puts me to shame tbh.

Glad to hear your laddie has made a full recovery - fractured skull and bleed on the brain sounds horrible. Meanwhile we have Throbber thinking mouthing off at a bunch of pished morons could all end with everyone having a sit down and a nice cup of tea. 

Glad to hear your laddie has made a full recovery - fractured skull and bleed on the brain sounds horrible. Meanwhile we have Throbber thinking mouthing off at a bunch of pished morons could all end with everyone having a sit down and a nice cup of tea. 
Throbbed was just, as usual, making a thread all about himself. Best ignored/laughed off tbh.

43 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
3 hours ago, Raithie said:

Throbbed was just, as usual, making a thread all about himself. Best ignored/laughed off tbh.

Has he just died?

Dispatches on channel 4 just now is looking at the scale of sexual misconduct by serving police officers. Scary stuff, and Scotland has some of the highest numbers of cases of officers being accused of inappropriate sexual misconduct in recent years yet none have been dismissed.

On 10/10/2021 at 21:15, MuckleMoo said:

I've never been in a fight in my life. Hopefully it stays that way, I couldn't fight to save myself.

My son got into bother in St Andrews a few weeks ago. Not long 18 he had met up with friends and were heading out for a night before heading for university. Group of middle age men started on one of the girls who were out with them. My son and his friends tried to challenge them and they were knocked to f**k. Spent a week in the hospital, son got a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain. Thankfully he appears to have made a full recovery and I'm proud for what he and his mates did. Puts me to shame tbh.

That's damnable.

Certainly not the kind of behaviour you would expect to encounter in St Andrews. Presumably this was reported to the police?

Dispatches on channel 4 just now is looking at the scale of sexual misconduct by serving police officers. Scary stuff, and Scotland has some of the highest numbers of cases of officers being accused of inappropriate sexual misconduct in recent years yet none have been dismissed.
Watched it as well, made me furious tbh.

That's damnable.
Certainly not the kind of behaviour you would expect to encounter in St Andrews. Presumably this was reported to the police?
It was, group of English guys up to play golf. Police traced them back to a hotel in St Andrews. Hopefully charges will be brought.

Paramedics attended at the scene but my son refused to go to hospital. Spent the next two days throwing up before telling me what had happened. I just thought he had a hang over!

Raced him down to ER as soon as he told me what had happened (got first aid training so know how serious throwing up is after a head injury). He was so lucky, amount of pain he must of been in before telling me doesn't bare thinking about.

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Several women phoning or texting in to Radio Scotland this morning suggesting that all men should be monitored during daylight hours and arrested if they break a curfew.

Aye, right yer are hen.

Perhaps you’re not getting it. It is a reaction to people saying that women shouldn’t go out alone at night, shouldn’t wear short skirts, should stay on the phone to friends while walking etc.  It’s not a serious suggestion - it is showing the absurdity of expecting women to change their behaviour in order to protect themselves against men.

But there again, given you are on a thread about violence against women and misogynist attitudes, coming out with “right yer are hen”, perhaps it’s not surprising that you’re not getting it.

Edited by Wee Bully

2 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

Perhaps you’re not getting it. It is a reaction to people saying that women shouldn’t go out alone at night, shouldn’t wear short skirts, should stay on the phone to friends while walking etc.  It’s not a serious suggestion - it is showing the absurdity of expecting women to change their behaviour in order to protect themselves against men.

But there again, given you are on a thread about violence against women and misogynist attitudes, coming out with “right yer are hen”, perhaps it’s not surprising that you’re not getting it.

Yes, I thought that was unnecessary.

I do worry about my daughter. My eldest got through her teenage years OK without any incidents that I know of. My youngest (she's only 11 so this will hopefully be years away) is a bit more trusting and I do worry how she would react to being approached. I worry now, when she is 16 I'll be going doolally when she goes out.

I guess most fathers are the same - a (female) friend of mine had her dad drive her to and from nightclubs when she was about 20. At the time I thought he was a mug for doing it - now I get it. I can see myself sitting in a car with a book and a thermos, like he did.

Even so there is no rule that says all this happens to women on nights out or walking in the streets. My little cousin was murdered by her boyfriend almost 20 years ago at his house - where he lived with his parents. A lot of the stuff said here could come under this - respectable family, good upbringing and all that.