Sarah Everard

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Sorry, I should have said in my post that men commit more acts of violence overall; that is undeniably true, whether it's against other men or women. 

I was getting at the root cause why men are more prone to violence overall, compared to women. Are we just more aggressive, unagreeable? I think so, but that surely can't be the sole cause? Is it hormonal differences? Is it societal hierarchies that allow (or indeed encourage?) a lot of men to act the way they do to a vast amount of women? 

Like I said, this was probably an issue in Caveman times as well; what societal issues do we point towards in that case?

I always think it's a bit mental to think these kinds of things are either 100% biological or 100% societal. Men are always going to be more violent than women.

9 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

I’d walk through any five drunks on a train. There’s not a man born of his mother what could beat me.

Surely they'd see the damage you'd already done to yourself and take pity?

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
19 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:
I’d walk through any five drunks on a train. There’s not a man born of his mother what could beat me.

^^^Trips over and breaks his nose on the first drunks shoe IMO

I once hospitalised someone as his arm snapped to bits when he hit me. A win is a win. 

I've never been in a fight in my life. Hopefully it stays that way, I couldn't fight to save myself.

My son got into bother in St Andrews a few weeks ago. Not long 18 he had met up with friends and were heading out for a night before heading for university. Group of middle age men started on one of the girls who were out with them. My son and his friends tried to challenge them and they were knocked to f**k. Spent a week in the hospital, son got a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain. Thankfully he appears to have made a full recovery and I'm proud for what he and his mates did. Puts me to shame tbh.

Why take a stab at it?
Why not simply start listening to what women have been saying for decades?
You might learn something valuable.

What is the solution to prevent men from attacking women disproportionately? Besides the obvious solutions like educating men not to act like lurid cretins, tougher sentences and more robust investigations from the police into the various types of abuse men carry out against women, providing more services for women that have been victims of this sort of abuse; what else is there if men STILL carry out these sorts of attacks?

6 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Why are men seemingly more prone to carrying out acts of extreme violence against women? I'm reluctant to say because "society", as that doesn't really explain anything at all. It's been like this since the cavemen. That's the nub of the issue, and a lot of people don't really like delving into that particular can of worms. 

I've never - in my 61 years - been assaulted outside the rugby pitch and I don't think it's anything to do with 'society'.  Nor do I think that men leathering women has much to do with 'the cavemen'.

For me, it's all about how we bring up our own kids and that starts really early on.  Reasonable people (usually) raise reasonable children who don;t use their fists to settle differences.

Sorry for the 'yer da' response.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Are these men victims of violence routinely being raped and sexually assaulted?

Because unless the answer to that question is Yes, your argument is puerile.

It's not an argument. It's just a factual response to a claim that was made. I said in my post that women were disproportionately the victims of sexual violence two sentences after you stopped reading and decided you needed to rage-reply.

I've never - in my 61 years - been assaulted outside the rugby pitch and I don't think it's anything to do with 'society'.  Nor do I think that men leathering women has much to do with 'the cavemen'.
For me, it's all about how we bring up our own kids and that starts really early on.  Reasonable people (usually) raise reasonable children who don;t use their fists to settle differences.

Is it a matter of more parents failing boys specifically when raising them? In which case why is there the supposed disparity in raising less reasonable boys than reasonable girls? I appreciate the response but it can’t be that simple.

13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Difficult to disagree with that. Only been assaulted once as an adult when me and a pal got jumped by some guys walking home from a night out. Violence was pretty common all the way through school though. Even if it's not something you went looking for, it was pretty much impossible to avoid. I think a lot of us kind of forget how much violence is actually part of growing up because it just seems like part of the scenery. I suspect you'll be in the extreme minority here and that most folk here will have been on either / both ends of violence multiple times between say 10-18.

Thankfully it's something most folk leave behind in adulthood but it's no wonder we produce a certain % of violent adults when you think back to how pervasive violence was in childhood.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Even if it's not something you went looking for, it was pretty much impossible to avoid. I think a lot of us kind of forget how much violence is actually part of growing up because it just seems like part of the scenery. I suspect you'll be in the extreme minority here and that most folk here will have been on either / both ends of violence multiple times between say 10-18.

I was actually thinking about this as I was typing (and despite popular opinion I do think as I type) and I grew up in M'well in the 60s and 70s where you'd expect a 'square go' to be part of the landscape.  I can honestly say that from going to Dalziel HS aged 11 to finishing playing for the FP rugby team aged 21 (when I went to Uni) I was never subject to casual violence  in schools,  pubs or clubs in Lanarkshire or Glasgow - though have been nutted, punched and kicked on the rugby field.

I'm clearly a lucky shitebag.

14 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Is it a matter of more parents failing boys specifically when raising them? In which case why is there the supposed disparity in raising less reasonable boys than reasonable girls? I appreciate the response but it can’t be that simple.

Tricky one and, of course, requires me to make my family of three normantive - which it isn't, of course.

I hated my son being punchy but would tolerate my  lassies returning a slap.  Sometimes a bit of 'double standards' is ok.