Sarah Everard

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I understand that everyone has the right to legal counsel and a defender but at some point, you really ought to go 'f**k the money in this case', sit your client down and explain to them that there's simply no redemption, no way back in this case - that you will continue to be your client's mouthpiece for the duration of the trial but won't under any circumstances, be pushing for any sort of reduction.

It doesn't work like that. These cases can make careers. Get 10 years knocked off that sentence and you can start adding zeros to your fee.

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It doesn't work like that. These cases can make careers. Get 10 years knocked off that sentence and you can start adding zeros to your fee.

Understandable, but I'd imagine a lawyer tasked with such a high-profile client and case is already pretty much made already in terms of their career and money.

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Worth remembering the amount of victim-blaming that went on (not just on here) back when this was first coming out.

Along with some of the "BuT mEN gEt MuRDerEd toO!" comments.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I understand that everyone has the right to legal counsel and a defender but at some point, you really ought to go 'f**k the money in this case', sit your client down and explain to them that there's simply no redemption, no way back in this case - that you will continue to be your client's mouthpiece for the duration of the trial but won't under any circumstances, be pushing for any sort of reduction.

Yep. Even scum like Couzens are entitled to it and you can't have that any other way. 

*There are worse crimes" is some argument, though. Bloody hell. Not something I could ever do.

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Understandable, but I'd imagine a lawyer tasked with such a high-profile client and case is already pretty much made already in terms of their career and money.

I remember seeing a Donald Findlay interview on this sort of subject.  Basically boiled down to: if the law is robust enough then these things shouldn't fall through the legal cracks.  We're there to test them, and if the barriers aren't there then that's not a defence qc's fault. (paraphrased)

Just now, Clown Job said:

Whole life sentence imposed. 

Wayne Couzens got the same, at least you'll have company.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He'd have a team of senior, junior counsel and lawyers and they'll all be updating the various profiles about "high profile" cases etc.

We all do things we disagree with, but they tend to be a bit more ruthless though.

33 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Clearly this is an exceptional case and the work nickname proved to be justified. But you can't go around launching investigations every time a colleague is given a tasteless name.

I could name dozens of nailed on weirdos on the floor I normally work on.

I accept that, but I also think that the Police aren’t a normal employer and that, due to the position of power they are put in, they have an extra responsibility when it comes to ensuring everyone in their employ is fit to be there.

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I accept that, but I also think that the Police aren’t a normal employer and that, due to the position of power they are put in, they have an extra responsibility when it comes to ensuring everyone in their employ is fit to be there.

Do you think if they confronted him he would have admitted he joined the police so he could one day use his position to murder women who were walking home alone at night? 

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It's the same sort of thing as the American cops that gun people down, they always say "it's only a few bad apples" without realising what the rest of that metaphor actually is.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Do you think if they confronted him he would have admitted he joined the police so he could one day use his position to murder women who were walking home alone at night? 

Probably not, but him admitting that wouldn’t be the only way that they could remove him from the position, would it? 

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If a lawyer deliberately failed to represent a client's interests to the best of his ability, the client might have grounds to appeal the verdict.

These anti lockdown and pro lockdown wankers using it as an excuse to talk up their beliefs can get in the bin.

How long until he’s accidentally let into general population for 20 minutes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Probably not, but him admitting that wouldn’t be the only way that they could remove him from the position, would it? 

No but they had no way of knowing he was going to go on to commit a horrendous murder did they? He was of pretty good character and had a wife and kids.