Sarah Everard

21 minutes ago, sugna said:

I shouted instructions at the telly for her to f**k off during that statement. In my case, it was my strong aversion to the claim that anyone commenting on a tragedy is absolutely obliged to assert that their "thoughts are with [the tragedy victim's] family". It's pretty much universally untrue, it's formulaic, and it's virtue-signalling shorthand for not having to address any actual underlying problems.

Add in "... and prayers", and you're looking at a hanging offence.

This specific episode is particularly horrifying yet also intriguing - maybe that "yet" should be a "hence". We're all aware of the tendency for power to corrupt, but in most cases it's at a much less blatant and extreme use of that power. The possibility that a warrant card was used to achieve his aims is a real frightener: who could actually refuse to comply at that point?

Unless those giving the sentiment actually do mention that person in their prayers. It does happen.

3 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Unless those giving the sentiment actually do mention that person in their prayers. It does happen.

Yes, I'm objecting to the formulaic parroting; and even in the case you mention... I don't know what it adds to tell the world. Telling your gods seems like enough, and the extra announcement seems superfluous.

Just now, sugna said:

Yes, I'm objecting to the formulaic parroting; and even in the case you mention... I don't know what it adds to tell the world. Telling your gods seems like enough, and the extra announcement seems superfluous.

Yes it is enough but the grieving person may find some comfort from it and evangelical Christian people will want the person to know that they believe God is there to provide such comfort. All I'm saying really is that some people do actually pray about such things. I do agree with your rant about parroting though but there are standard phrases which get churned out, especially to the grieving when it's difficult to know what to say.

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

the George Floyd murder is really odd for this, with an extraordinary amount of people either wilfully or ignorantly missing the point - I would have a hot take, not even touching on the systemic racism, that people shouldn't be summarily executed by the police when trying to take them into custody - and instead fixating on points like "yeah but he was a petty criminal why are people treating him like a martyr"

That's SOP for Republicans whenever a cop murders a civilian. They immediately go into overdrive scouring the victim's past in order to find something...anything they might have done wrong. Better yet, if they were resisting arrest and/or under the influence of drugs , because then the murder was absolutely justified.

It isn't just cops either. When Trayvon Martin was murdered, I lost count of the times I read a variation of "He had previous for marijuana possession. Hardly the innocent victim the liberals are making him out to be." In their sick minds, the fact that he'd once been busted for carrying a joint meant that it was perfectly OK that a bigot had killed him due to his skin colour. Ugh.   

There is no need to look to America for that shit. The police officers who killed Sheku Bayoh got medical retirement with enhanced pensions. The police told lies about him having a knife. The police made clearly racist comments about him having super strength.

This guilty plea is pretty convenient on the weekend of the Euros final. The outstanding question is why he wasn't properly investigated for the indecent exposure days prior to the abduction? I don't expect the media to take much more interest in that question than they do in reporting the Manchester bombers relationship with the security services or where Jo Cox's killer got a gun. 

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

where Jo Cox's killer got a gun. 

I read an article about that, the police tracked its original owner, it was stolen from his car when he shouldn’t have had it there and from that point the cops don’t know how it got to the murderer? I may have misremembered.

6 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This might just be me, and might well belong in PTTGOYN, but..

The lovely Cressida has just been giving a statement to the press. Along with the acceptance that all murder victims are the absolute best folk, she said, "Sarah had her whole life ahead of her."

No, she fucking didn't. She was 33. Obviously this is a figure of speech, but it's use should surely be limited to those <ten years or so?

Fo the avoidance of doubt, I'm glad this knobhead is coming into the System as I prepare to take my leave from same.  The victim also appears to have been a decent and popular person. I just think we generally kid ourselves occasionally that cúnts don't get murdered. 

Mrs Mathematics hates this as well, and wants me to tell the utter truth if she ever goes missing or is murdered.

This case equally terrifies/fascinates me. I understand that he should have been investigated in 2015 for allegedly flashing women, but how can you get to 48, be reasonably successful in your career, and do something as heinous as this? Being a serving police officer, he must have had some inkling that he would never get away with this, especially with his Keystone Cops-esque behaviour in hiring a car in his own name, using his own credit card, shopping for tarpaulin in B&Q and the other glaringly obvious mistakes he made trying to cover his tracks.

In addition, did it never enter his head what the consequences would be if/when he was caught? It’s surely bad enough being a rapist and murderer in prison but given his profession he will be living the remainder of his life looking over his shoulder.

He must also have surely been aware that given his position of power, and as has been alleged that he used his Warrant Card to lure Everard into his car, that he would almost certainly be looking at a full life sentence.

I just cannot comprehend how someone firstly can do something like this, but someone who had, to all extents, a pretty decent life. Married, young children, good job. Just makes the mind boggle.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I read an article about that, the police tracked its original owner, it was stolen from his car when he shouldn’t have had it there and from that point the cops don’t know how it got to the murderer? I may have misremembered.

I think I linked the article you read in the conspiracy thread. 

Yeah the gun was stolen from a car but the police are sure it wasn't Mair who did that. There was someone else involved.

This case equally terrifies/fascinates me. I understand that he should have been investigated in 2015 for allegedly flashing women, but how can you get to 48, be reasonably successful in your career, and do something as heinous as this? Being a serving police officer, he must have had some inkling that he would never get away with this, especially with his Keystone Cops-esque behaviour in hiring a car in his own name, using his own credit card, shopping for tarpaulin in B&Q and the other glaringly obvious mistakes he made trying to cover his tracks.

In addition, did it never enter his head what the consequences would be if/when he was caught? It’s surely bad enough being a rapist and murderer in prison but given his profession he will be living the remainder of his life looking over his shoulder.

He must also have surely been aware that given his position of power, and as has been alleged that he used his Warrant Card to lure Everard into his car, that he would almost certainly be looking at a full life sentence.

I just cannot comprehend how someone firstly can do something like this, but someone who had, to all extents, a pretty decent life. Married, young children, good job. Just makes the mind boggle.
From experience, one thing very few offenders (of whatever type) ever consider is getting caught.

18 hours ago, Michael W said:

There have been several cases of this recently. The murder of the two sisters in London also featured cops taking photographs of the bodies to send to their mates. Unbelievable.

Sounds as well that there has been rank incompetence in investigations too.

On 10/07/2021 at 18:06, ICTChris said:

Apparently Couzens nickname in the police was “The Rapist”. Hahaha great banter lads.

Ive been meaning to bump this all day but surely I wasn’t the only who thought of this when I heard the name the rapist?

It would be hilarious getting pulled over by “the rapist” and some other wise cracking police officer if they started going off about their nicknames etc like some sort of comedy double act, would be like the cops in the film Superbad only there would be a very serious chance of being murdered.

Wayne has been sacked from the Met a week after admitting murder. 

You really would think admitting to murder would be automatic sacking for a polis but it appears to take a week for the paper work to be done.

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

You really would think admitting to murder would be automatic sacking for a polis but it appears to take a week for the paper work to be done.

Regulation 15 notice I believe it’s called.

534CF163-DED1-4671-B4F7-650DC3D88BAB.jpeg

10 hours ago, 101 said:

No they legally have to give notice of a misconduct investigation and allow the other party time to prepare etc. If they didnt do it properly he could appeal and drag the thing out. Which given his actions is quite possible as he is a twisted sick p***k.