Sarah Everard

We had showers, only used them after cross-country. One of the benefits of being a hairy early puberty b*****d was being forced into having communal showers at PE after CC and feeling like a proper caveman compared to 99% of the other boys.

Horrifying stuff when I think about it now, but it was just standard at my school. Looking back, there were probably people who regularly "forgot" their kit on those days. I fucking loved sport so that never crossed my mind. 

Guest TheJTS98
16 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I read what she wrote. 

No one could object to what she said context free. The context is she putting up straw men. 

No one could object to #alllivesmatter if you live under a rock and pop out once a century 

No one is seriously saying all men are bad. People are saying men have a responsibility to be better and challenge their pals to be better and she is literally giving it #notallmen 

I don't know where folk like you get off criticising people for wanting to appear virtuous when you pull the exact same act but use appearing reasonable, above the fray and able to cut through the noise to flatter yourself you are better than other people 

Get her.

Your alllivesmatter comparison would be fair were it not for the fact that oor Davina openly stated that she agrees that women should take care and that she shares some of the concern raised by this. I don't think the racists you are making a false parallel with quite come at things from the same angle.

As I mentioned to another poster, there's a bit of goalpost shifting going on here that is fair enough for people who are social media-savvy but that catches out those who aren't. That's partly generational and partly to do with what kind of circles you move in.

Someone might start a really witty hashtag like #cancelP&B. But there's a certain element of the population who would read that and think someone really wanted to cancel P&B and might pipe up to defend the site. Because not everyone moves in the same circles and reads things the same way.

It's not really fair when things like the male curfew hashtag people get right stuck into people who read a hashtag and take it at face value because they think it means what it says it means. I think you'd need to be bonkers to think Davina is some kind of wrongun. What she said is the perfectly reasonable take on the situation you'll get from many people who don't live their lives in a social media bubble. Not everyone knows the lines.

Edited by TheJTS98

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's not really fair when things like the male curfew hashtag people get right stuck into people who read a hashtag and take it at face value because they think they mean what it says it means. I think you'd need to be bonkers to think Davina is some kind of wrongun. What she said is the perfectly reasonable take on the situation you'll get from many people who don't live their lives in a social media bubble. Not everyone knows the lines.

^^^ Thinks  folk on the telly are his pals.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

^^^ Thinks  folk on the telly are his pals.

I can't remember how to spell her surname. Can't be arsed looking it up.

#mahpaldavina

8 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

If that is legit, jesus f**k. Absolutely insane. 

I guess the police are good at finding bad guys after all.

I know (of) a policeman who was in trouble for staking and violent behaviour towards a few women and using police computers to trace them. Think he maybe had to go on a course and do more desk work. The ones who get charged/found guilty must be the really bad ones. 

11 minutes ago, Shandon Par Decorator said:

I know (of) a policeman who was in trouble for staking and violent behaviour towards a few women and using police computers to trace them. Think he maybe had to go on a course and do more desk work. The ones who get charged/found guilty must be the really bad ones. 

If you don't get charged for staking, what would you get charged for?

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

That couldn't have been allowed, surely?

(I can understand it happening when your mother was at school - any complaints would have been laughed/fobbed off as in sexual abuse allegations - but I'd like to think standards would have improved. Obviously not.)

This was in the early Nineties. You'd like to think that things have changed these days but, then again, maybe today's weans will be "liking to think" in thirty years' time too.

Inspections by the male PE teachers were used as punishment at the school I was at. At the start of class, they'd invariably make some kind of comment that, if the girls didn't behave themselves and do as they were told, there'd be an inspection afterwards. Of course, one of the girls would inevitably make some sort of supposed infraction that would be used as an excuse for one of the men to barge their way into the locker room once they'd given enough time for the girls to all be in the shower.

No idea if the girls ever complained to their parents, but I'm pretty sure the head wouldn't have given a shit. You'd imagine that the female PE teacher might have been the first port of call, but she was busy banging one of the male PE teachers behind their partners' backs.

My mum says that she complained to the head about one of her PE teacher being a pervert (back in the '50s), but it was laughed off by the headmaster. She complained to her mum, who went into the school and threatened to go above his head if he didn't take action. The action he took was to give my mum a permanent waiver for PE. Bizarre behaviour.

23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

This was in the early Nineties. You'd like to think that things have changed these days but, then again, maybe today's weans will be "liking to think" in thirty years' time too.

Inspections by the male PE teachers were used as punishment at the school I was at. At the start of class, they'd invariably make some kind of comment that, if the girls didn't behave themselves and do as they were told, there'd be an inspection afterwards. Of course, one of the girls would inevitably make some sort of supposed infraction that would be used as an excuse for one of the men to barge their way into the locker room once they'd given enough time for the girls to all be in the shower.

No idea if the girls ever complained to their parents, but I'm pretty sure the head wouldn't have given a shit. You'd imagine that the female PE teacher might have been the first port of call, but she was busy banging one of the male PE teachers behind their partners' backs.

My mum says that she complained to the head about one of her PE teacher being a pervert (back in the '50s), but it was laughed off by the headmaster. She complained to her mum, who went into the school and threatened to go above his head if he didn't take action. The action he took was to give my mum a permanent waiver for PE. Bizarre behaviour.

Unbelievable. Or maybe not.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

There will be a fair chunk of police officers who want to help people and uphold law and order at all costs.

Unfortunately there are people who join the police to have a bit of power probably similar to health professionals who are serial killers or perverts thankfully the rate of those in the health care system is much lower than nutters in the police.

Also the healthcare system is less willing (or at least less able) to close ranks and cover up for these scumbags.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Unbelievable. Or maybe not.

I've known a few folk with similar stories. I've always assumed that the pervert PE teacher is just one of the childhood archetypes that everyone has to endure, like the teacher who likes to get a sly punch in on kids he doesn't like when they're alone, or the teacher who bizarrely hates kids of a certain gender. And, as mentioned, the creep who sleazes over the older girls and gets wired into them as soon as they graduate.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've known a few folk with similar stories. I've always assumed that the pervert PE teacher is just one of the childhood archetypes that everyone has to endure, like the teacher who likes to get a sly punch in on kids he doesn't like when they're alone, or the teacher who bizarrely hates kids of a certain gender. And, as mentioned, the creep who sleazes over the older girls and gets wired into them as soon as they graduate.

I must have led a very sheltered upbringing. Or else I was wandering around with my eyes shut.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

I must have led a very sheltered upbringing. Or else I was wandering around with my eyes shut.

It'll probably depend on the head of the school. If they weren't willing to take any of that shit, the weirdos would get swiftly moved on. If they didn't give a shit, it was playtime for the creeps.

The headmaster of the school I went to couldn't have cared less, and his response to complaints from kids was generally shouting to get them to go away.

One of my PE teachers back in the day was well-known for being an absolute creep around the older female pupils in the school. This was an open secret at the time - my father-in-law was a PE teacher at the same time and knew all about it, as did all his colleagues, despite working at a different school.

One of the modern studies teachers at my old school was quietly retired after bringing a 15yo girl in for detention, then locking her in a stationery cupboard for a couple of hours. The school weren't actually going to do anything about it until her dad found out and went absolutely apeshit.

On 12/03/2021 at 14:57, Hedgecutter said:

I  just worked out that using the half your age plus 7 thing, it would be socially acceptable to now go out with somebody who was 6 whilst I was in my first year at uni.  :unsure:

^^^^^   Confession.