Sarah Everard

Staggering how many folk have been completely whooshed by the point of the #curfewformen hashtag, which is to point out that whenever there's a rapist/murderer of women kicking about, the advice is always for women (the potential victims) to sequester themselves away lest they be molested, while men (the potential criminals) can roam free. It's not something I'd thought about before, but the logic there is a bit fucked-up.

Anyway, I think we've pretty much established that everyone seems to have known a teacher who shagged the pupil(s). Apparently, totally normal behaviour. Can also confirm that, on the days that the sole female PE teacher wasn't in, the girls at my school dreaded the inevitable inspection in the shower room from one of the males. Apparently that shit was going on back when my mum was at school too, and was one of the reasons why she refused (and was allowed not) to take part in PE.

Sensible politicians know not to make "ironic" sexist, racist etc remarks when discussing important issues as they can be misunderstood or deliberately misrepresented. The whole "we can do it because we are the good guys" attitude simply leads to the debate being derailed. 

That said Jenny Jones\Baroness Moulescoombe is not and never has been a serious politician. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The teacher-pupil thing is a bit weird. There were quite a few teachers in my old school who were married to former pupils, albeit ones close in age to them. My wife’s aunt and uncle met when she was his teacher, although there is only three or four years between them.

I just worked out that using the half your age plus 7 thing, it would be socially acceptable to now go out with somebody who was 6 whilst I was in my first year at uni.  :unsure:

1 hour ago, dorlomin said:

Sensible politicians know not to make "ironic" sexist, racist etc remarks when discussing important issues as they can be misunderstood or deliberately misrepresented.

That said Jenny Jones\Baroness Moulescoombe is not and never has been a serious politician. 

I think it would be fair to say that >90% of the British public had never heard of Jenny Jones until yesterday.  All they see are the quotes in text, and without hearing any tone behind the words, there will always be the presumption that it was said in all seriousness, especially if it was said in the Lords.  Don't think she even considered just how damaging this would be to the Lords, and has resulted in the "get rid of the HoL altogether" chat rearing its head again (and quite rightly so anyway).

Edited by Hedgecutter

Guest TheJTS98
49 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Staggering how many folk have been completely whooshed by the point of the #curfewformen hashtag, which is to point out that whenever there's a rapist/murderer of women kicking about, the advice is always for women (the potential victims) to sequester themselves away lest they be molested, while men (the potential criminals) can roam free. It's not something I'd thought about before, but the logic there is a bit fucked-up.

I think there's a bit of confusion going on with this. Those who are social media literate and who move in the kind of circles where points are made in this way understand it. Some other people are guilty of reading the hashtag and taking it at face value because that's how they deal with words. They take them to mean what they look like they mean. And if you view it that way, it looks like a really stupid thing for people to support. Then people start insulting each other. Ah, Twitter. What would we be without you...

It's crossed wires on a grand scale.

Guest TheJTS98
32 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

No. 

I've seen some screenshots of objections to this on a few groups. It seems most people criticising her are having a go at her for saying things she didn't actually say.

From reading what she said, her main points seem to be

- people should be mindful of their surroundings when out and about

- she wouldn't feel totally comfortable walking home alone at night

- women being abducted and murdered is rare

- it's maybe not healthy to view all men as dangerous and she views this as excessive fear-mongering

I'm not sure how much of that a reasonable person could be outraged by. But, like I said, much of the criticism I've seen of her seems to read almost as if people are replying to things she didn't write.

It's a tiresome thing to see people so wound up about some pretty bland views. Of course, the Twitter algorithm is designed to show people things they like, so many people will be getting a wall of post after post confirming their outrage to be justified. That's how it works. Twitter is designed to do this. It's poison.

What she said is really nothing of note whatsoever. She'll take absolute dug's abuse though, from people who think themselves to be virtuous. Because of some completely nothing opinions that are well within the mainstream.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

I just worked out that using the half your age plus 7 thing, it would be socially acceptable to go out with somebody who was 6 whilst I was in my first year at uni.  :unsure:

I hope you didn't study maths at uni.

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, Markka said:

I hope you didn't study maths at uni.

I think it might be more of a language problem. I reckon he's missing a 'now' between 'to' and 'go'.

At least, I fucking hope so.

Edited by TheJTS98

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

I think it might be more of a language problem. I reckon he's missing a 'now' between 'to' and 'go'.

Very much this. 

Think I'll edit the post to avoid any ambiguity, thanks.

In unrelated OFTW maths gone wrong, a guy at my school once said of Emma Watson: "if only she was a couple of years younger and me a couple of years older".

She was probably 12 or 13 then. He wasn't allowed to forget that comment for a long time.

Edited by Markka

In unrelated OFTW maths gone wrong, a guy at my school once said of Emma Watson: "if only she was a couple of years younger and me a couple of years older".
She was probably 12 or 13 then. He wasn't allowed to forget that comment for a long time.

I once got some funny looks from a couple of folk when I said I had fancied her since the first Harry Potter film came out, before I was able to remind them that I was also 12 at that point.

7 minutes ago, Markka said:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Anyone who wants to make excuses can quite frankly f**k off. Davina is an apologist. 

There's a pattern with male behaviour that goes beyond that. It's not fear mongering. 97% of all murders are committed by males. We honestly saying there's not a problem here?

I'm not a rapist or a murderer but the "not all men" shite makes me sick. Especially given most of my female friends have actually been through some sort of abuse.

I don't seem to remember Davina's clamour for men's mental health when she fronted a programme that stuck a load of folk in a glass box got them famous and unleashed the press on them.