Celtic vs Ranger55 - 21 March 12pm

2 hours ago, Insaintee said:

Your looking at this the wrong way, it's not about punishment, it's about risk. It's likely that the last Saturday scenes have contributed to the upward blip in cases. If there is a significant risk of it happening again then the game should be rescheduled on grounds of public health safety. If Rangers truely did all they could to discourage fans turning up at Ibrox (no sniggering at the back) then obviously there is nothing they can do that might stop them turning up at Celtic Park.  Game set and match 

2 hours ago, G51 said:

Incorrect.

Apparently he is correct.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19161910.covid-update-scotland-small-number-cases-linked-rangers-fans-celebrations/

On 12/03/2021 at 18:26, Jinky67 said:

Haven’t heard anything regarding Walter Smith however if he is Ill then I offer my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Always had an opinion of him as Rangers manager however saw the man in a very different light once Tommy Burns died. 

I went to school with Tommy Burns' son.

I mind being raging with Walter when he left the Scotland job. Hated him with a passion.

What i heard about him and Ally McCoist with regards to the late Tommy Burns changed that opinion. Seems to be a thoroughly good guy. 

Wish him absolutely nothing but a speedy recovery.

13 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

the causal link has already been established. 

No, it hasn’t. Observing a small bump in the infection rate and noting that some people at George Square had the virus (newsflash: of course they did, they were all young people) is a million miles away from proving causality. 

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

No, it hasn’t. Observing a small bump in the infection rate and noting that some people at George Square had the virus (newsflash: of course they did, they were all young people) is a million miles away from proving causality. 

Yes it has, what happens is a virus is expelled by people coughing and infects other people within a radius of about 2 meters. the virus stays in the air around 15 minutes.  That's the causal link 

5 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Yes it has, what happens is a virus is expelled by people coughing and infects other people within a radius of about 2 meters. the virus stays in the air around 15 minutes.  That's the causal link 

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of:

a) how statistics work

b) how the virus spreads outdoors

c) the risks of outdoor transmission

Apart from that, you’re good.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of:

a) how statistics work

b) how the virus spreads outdoors

c) the risks of outdoor transmission

Apart from that, you’re good.

For clarity, I agree on the outdoor bit.

CMO, however, also pointed out that in contact tracing interviews a number of those infected stated that - as well as being in George Sq, they had also attended celebratory house parties........

Perhaps another reason the police are - today- asking for daily reminders from both clubs to remind the hard of thinking among the respective supports .

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

For clarity, I agree on the outdoor bit.

CMO, however, also pointed out that in contact tracing interviews a number of those infected stated that - as well as being in George Sq, they had also attended celebratory house parties........

Perhaps another reason the police are - today- asking for daily reminders from both clubs to remind the hard of thinking among the respective supports .

Again, this does not prove causation. The CMO even goes on to say as much in the article - unsurprisingly, the papers have buried that bit:

Dr Smith went on: "What we are seeing over the last seven days is an increase in the number of cases that we're associating with many of those areas, particularly Lanarkshire, Glasgow – and Glasgow city in particular – Ayrshire as well.

"How closely we can associate that with the events of last weekend is difficult."

The thought process that goes “Some people had COVID / they attended George Square and then house parties / this is responsible for the rise in infections” is missing quite a few steps. Particularly when we don’t even know what constitutes the “small number” of people that the CMO talked about. If this consisted of 5 or 6 people, then it is statistically insignificant, hence why he says it’s difficult to prove causality.

38 minutes ago, G51 said:

Again, this does not prove causation. The CMO even goes on to say as much in the article - unsurprisingly, the papers have buried that bit:

The thought process that goes “Some people had COVID / they attended George Square and then house parties / this is responsible for the rise in infections” is missing quite a few steps. Particularly when we don’t even know what constitutes the “small number” of people that the CMO talked about. If this consisted of 5 or 6 people, then it is statistically insignificant, hence why he says it’s difficult to prove causality.

I understand all that, and am very clear that no causality can be drawn at this point - what I was a bit concerned about was the "fucking stupid" behaviour where people - who subsequently tested +ve for CV19 - had attended parties celebrating the league win.

I dont think for a minute that these people caught it in George Sq (like you I think the outdoors is basically fine) or even the parties themselves.

Given the timeframe its more likely they caught it ahead of the Sunday............however the rather obvious concern is that those infected nuggets (be it only half a dozen as you mention) went to parties, sang loads of songs and infected their pals who then go home etc etc ......well, you get the picture?

I would have thought that this was really obvious, sorry if I am telling you something you had already worked out.

20 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

How closely we can associate that with the events of last weekend is difficult."

So how closely is difficult, but an association is not difficult. 

when u understand context