Celtic vs Ranger55 - 21 March 12pm

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

That then goes back to my previous point - there's quite clearly things Rangers could've done - such as build a 10 foot wall (this is entirely an emphasised suggestion).

But do I also believe what they did do was sufficient? Yes. To suggest that any of their actions (or lack of) somehow resulted in the mass of fans that gathered is completely disingenuous in my opinion and people are looking to blame the club for something that was entirely out with their control.

I'm not getting sucked into this. I've already stated I don't care enough.

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

That then goes back to my previous point - there's quite clearly things Rangers could've done - such as build a 10 foot wall (this is entirely an emphasised suggestion).

But do I also believe what they did do was sufficient? Yes. To suggest that any of their actions (or lack of) somehow resulted in the mass of fans that gathered is completely disingenuous in my opinion and people are looking to blame the club for something that was entirely out with their control.

Someone else who really can’t see the facts here. There are easy things that Rangers could have done rather than building a wall, so as to be seen as not encouraging the fans. These actions would almost certainly not have made a blind bit of difference to the blue hordes, but nobody will ever know, because Rangers didn’t do these things.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

Or put a simple club statement across all social media platforms clearly telling fans not to come to Ibrox and without the need to watch a 10 minute video to have that point relayed and then it lost amongst the narrative of the fans deserve understanding 

Don’t allow players the indulgence of celebrating with fans regardless of anyone’s feelings on understanding the players need to.

2 very simple things that don’t require you go all Donald Trump, cost nothing and will have possibly have an impact on the numbers turned up and secondly the time take to disperse them.

Rangers have then done everything feasibly expected of them 

Edited by Jinky67

Just now, kingjoey said:

Someone else who really can’t see the facts here. There are easy things that Rangers could have done rather than building a wall, so as to be seen as not encouraging the fans. These actions would almost certainly not have made a blind bit of difference to the blue hordes, but nobody will ever know, because Rangers didn’t do these things.

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Or put a simple club statement across all social media platforms clearly telling fans not to come to Ibrox and without the need to watch a 10 minute video to have that point relayed.

Don’t allow players the indulgence of celebrating with fans regardless of anyone’s feelings on understanding the players need to.

2 very simple things that don’t require you go all Donald Trump, cost nothing and will have possibly have an impact on the numbers turned up and secondly the time take to disperse them.

Rangers have then categorically don’t everything feasibly expected of them 

But that's the thing, who decides what is deemed to be enough? Rangers agreed their approach with the Scottish Government and Police in the build up to the weekend and it does not appear they had any issues with this. So, far all intents and purposes, they were happy with what Rangers had done up until that point.

The SG through Swinney then made the criticism that Rangers were silent. This was then proved to be incorrect and Sturgeon then changed the criticism to "could've done more" the following day. Who decides what is enough and what actions would've made any meaningful difference? Is a managers press conference posted to Twitter where he advises fans to abide by the guidelines all that different from a Tweet advising fans not to come? I don't believe so.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

But that's the thing, who decides what is deemed to be enough? Rangers agreed their approach with the Scottish Government and Police in the build up to the weekend and it does not appear they had any issues with this. So, far all intents and purposes, they were happy with what Rangers had done up until that point.

The SG through Swinney then made the criticism that Rangers were silent. This was then proved to be incorrect and Sturgeon then changed the criticism to "could've done more" the following day. Who decides what is enough and what actions would've made any meaningful difference? Is a managers press conference posted to Twitter where he advises fans to abide by the guidelines all that different from a Tweet advising fans not to come? I don't believe so.

To be fair this is a blip. You are certainly one of the more reasonable Rangers fans on here, but not here when you refuse to accept the bleedin’ obvious. This scenario reminds me of The Dead Parrot Sketch from Monty Python. “No, no he’s not dead, he’s, he’s resting.”

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

Can't believe there are still people arguing, nearly 7 days on, that a tweet would have made any difference.

You’re misrepresenting what people are saying. Not many, if any, are saying that a tweet or whatever would have made a difference, it probably wouldn’t have, but what people are saying that it may have made a difference but because Rangers didn’t do it we’ll never know.

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

Can't believe there are still people arguing, nearly 7 days on, that a tweet would have made any difference.

At this point, I don't think that's what is being argued to be fair. I think the argument is that a tweet *could* have made a difference. It's accepted it likely wouldn't have but it still could have so because Rangers never sent a tweet then it can be argued that their actions can be considered negligent and resulted in the scenes we witnessed on Sunday and the club are responsible for any decision to postpone the match... I think.

Edited by AJF

Just now, kingjoey said:

You’re misrepresenting what people are saying. Not many, if any, are saying that a tweet or whatever would have made a difference, it probably wouldn’t have, but what people are saying that it may have made a difference but because Rangers didn’t do it we’ll never know.

Well you either believe it would or it wouldn't have made a difference.

If you believe it would, then say as much.

If you believe it wouldn't, then you're arguing in bad faith.

29 minutes ago, AJF said:

It wasn’t just the SG stinging in their criticism, Police Scotland were too regarding the lack of support given by Rangers to actively persuade their fans to go home. 

There are a lot of people and organisations who can see where there were opportunities to potentially impact smaller numbers turning up at Ibrox or to move them on faster than they did, we all can’t be wrong can we? 

Edited by Jinky67

19 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

This scenario reminds me of The Dead Parrot Sketch from Monty Python. “No, no he’s not dead, he’s, he’s resting.”

...... Maybe the fans were from Oslo...... and they were stunned.......I mean let's face it...... "Norwegian Blues stun easily mate"....... 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Do you lads ever get bored of arguing about absolutely nothing until the end of time?

I was just thinking while I was reading here that I've only ever really known P&B while Rangers are a joke. If this thread is what it's like when both of them are comparable then holy f**k.

6 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

It wasn’t just the SG stinging in their criticism, Police Scotland were too regarding the lack of support given by Rangers to actively persuade their fans to go home. 

There are a lot of people and organisations who can see where there were opportunities to potentially impact smaller numbers turning up at Ibrox or to move them on faster what happened, we all can’t be wrong can we? 

Okay, given what you are contributing here, what exactly is your stance on the matter?

Do you hold Rangers responsible for the actions of their fans at the weekend? This is probably the most basic yes or no question I could think of to get to the bottom of the argument.

If not, great, there's no issue.

If yes, what steps do you feel the club should've taken that you actually believe would've stopped fans gathering en masse? I'd like you to be honest here and only provide reasons that you genuinely feel would've made a material difference to the numbers turning up. If it's a case of "I think they should've sent a tweet but it likely wouldn't have made a difference" then is there really a reason to get hung up about it?

If you don't believe there is much the club could've reasonably done to dissuade fans from gathering, then just say so and be done with this as it is rather tiring.

Celtic FC can confirm that the Club will participate in a multi-agency meeting to discuss preparations for our match on March 21.
The Scottish Government has already made clear to Celtic that it does not in any way associate the scenes last weekend with Celtic or our supporters. Although Celtic and our world class supporters are desperate to get back to Celtic Park to support the team, the Club and our supporters are of course mindful of the risks associated with public gatherings at this important time.

The Club has been clear in our messaging to our supporters of the importance of staying at home in line with applicable guidance throughout the pandemic. We have communicated regularly around our fixtures and our supporters have worked with the Club responsibly - the celebrations after our historic nine in row title triumph last summer and after our unprecedented quadruple treble Scottish Cup win in December are two key examples of that.

We will re-emphasise that message for this fixture as we have done during the season and we are sure that our excellent supporters will work with the Club while the restrictions remain in place

Given the damage caused to Club property recently, the Club has already taken steps to enhance security and protection of our property at Celtic Park and the Club is happy to work with those attending the meeting to ensure that any additional protection necessary will be in place for the match in question

Total pissing contest.  Neither side can make a public statement in relation to their co-operation with SG, Police Scotland & 'relevant stakeholders' without making reference to their respective 55* titles nor their nine in a row & quadruple trebles.

Rangers silence prior to the weekend allowed fans to interpret how they wished to approach Saturday and Sunday and allowed fans to consider that in gathering, the club did not seemingly condemn this. Players and management celebrating out of windows with gathered fans would seem to confirm this, thereby resulting in Sunday's gathering.  The fact that Rangers subsequently lashed out at the SG over.a lack of consultation as to how they ensure their fans understood clear restrictions illustrated how they failed in their duty. 

The pressure from the SG on both sets of fans to observe whatever restrictions are in place in the run up to the Old Firm game means that the game going ahead is entirely in the hands of the fans. If the clubs and particularly Rangers want it to go head, then they simply need to reinforce the restrictions via social media and suggest that any fans planning to gather will "hurt the club/are not true fans". Those types of phrases seem to cut to your more basic thinking supporters.