Celtic vs Ranger55 - 21 March 12pm

20 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Rangers silence prior to the weekend allowed fans to interpret how they wished to approach Saturday and Sunday and allowed fans to consider that in gathering, the club did not seemingly condemn this. Players and management celebrating out of windows with gathered fans would seem to confirm this, thereby resulting in Sunday's gathering.  The fact that Rangers subsequently lashed out at the SG over.a lack of consultation as to how they ensure their fans understood clear restrictions illustrated how they failed in their duty. 

The pressure from the SG on both sets of fans to observe whatever restrictions are in place in the run up to the Old Firm game means that the game going ahead is entirely in the hands of the fans. If the clubs and particularly Rangers want it to go head, then they simply need to reinforce the restrictions via social media and suggest that any fans planning to gather will "hurt the club/are not true fans". Those types of phrases seem to cut to your more basic thinking supporters. 

the thing is they haven't exactly been shrinking violets when they've put out cringetastic statements over the last few years, so an official site statement (that may well be there and I've missed somewhere in all this) + twitter statement - especially once it got to a <3point gap on what they needed to be confirmed as champions - linking to the one on the OS advising fans to avoid breaking the restrictions to celebrate would have been perfectly reasonable.

Whether fans choose to ignore it or comply with it is fucking irrelevant. It also means they could point to their official comms and go "welp, what else would you have us do? We put out social media messaging and a statement on the club site + set up puff pieces on the back pages of the papers telling fans to stay at home" or something like that. Radio silence wasn't the way to handle it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Okay, given what you are contributing here, what exactly is your stance on the matter?

Do you hold Rangers responsible for the actions of their fans at the weekend? This is probably the most basic yes or no question I could think of to get to the bottom of the argument.

If not, great, there's no issue.

If yes, what steps do you feel the club should've taken that you actually believe would've stopped fans gathering en masse? I'd like you to be honest here and only provide reasons that you genuinely feel would've made a material difference to the numbers turning up. If it's a case of "I think they should've sent a tweet but it likely wouldn't have made a difference" then is there really a reason to get hung up about it?

If you don't believe there is much the club could've reasonably done to dissuade fans from gathering, then just say so and be done with this as it is rather tiring.

If you tire of it, you can choose not to reply. 

Are we being specific about fans turning up at Ibrox or the full spectrum of fuckwittery seen at the weekend? Being specific of what you are asking me will help me be very clear as to how to answer. 

However i’ve said quite a times what more I think Rangers could have done however I’ll try make it as simple as I can. Did Rangers make every effort they could to reach every single fan they could through every medium available them to tell fans to stay at home, do not come to the stadium and do not congregate in large groups? Did they take advice from Police Scotland on the day to persuade fans to both stay at home and then go home? 

If they done all of the above then they can absolve themselves of any responsibility imo, if they haven’t then they are in part responsible and I say in part because realistically there will always be an element of the fan base that despite every effort being made by the club it will fall on deaf ears however I’m of the view the club absolutely relished the scenes which was underpinned by their comments asking for understanding 

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Hopefully the rumours on social media aren't true and he's ok.

Haven’t heard anything regarding Walter Smith however if he is Ill then I offer my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Always had an opinion of him as Rangers manager however saw the man in a very different light once Tommy Burns died. 

Edited by Jinky67

18 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

No way anyone could get through this. 

C755C895-CE55-41A0-92F2-B3AEC493DD0A.jpeg

7694F33E-29DB-4EB8-902B-4C521E422912.jpeg

C8F38066-6CED-4EBE-8C53-8C69FF0424A9.jpeg

Shame especially so as it’s also 15 years since Jinky passed away and no one can get near the statue of the man as many like to do to pay respects.

Bit of noise on Twitter also that Police Scotland have been knocking on the doors of certain Celtic supporters and warning them to not to turn up on the 21st. 

Nonsense. Don’t want to offer them any crumb of positivity from the game. We turn up and give it 100%, even it it is with a few of those currently on the fringes of the team.

Think Brown will want to be making a point. I’ll put him down for a red card. And Morelos for a hat trick just as a massive GIRFUY. 

Your looking at this the wrong way, it's not about punishment, it's about risk. It's likely that the last Saturday scenes have contributed to the upward blip in cases. If there is a significant risk of it happening again then the game should be rescheduled on grounds of public health safety. If Rangers truely did all they could to discourage fans turning up at Ibrox (no sniggering at the back) then obviously there is nothing they can do that might stop them turning up at Celtic Park.  Game set and match 

1 hour ago, Insaintee said:

Your looking at this the wrong way, it's not about punishment, it's about risk. It's likely that the last Saturday scenes have contributed to the upward blip in cases. If there is a significant risk of it happening again then the game should be rescheduled on grounds of public health safety. If Rangers truely did all they could to discourage fans turning up at Ibrox (no sniggering at the back) then obviously there is nothing they can do that might stop them turning up at Celtic Park.  Game set and match 

1 hour ago, G51 said:

Incorrect.

I blame the schools.